2003 Tacoma

4.4 out of 5 starsValue for the Money
4.5 out of 5 starsReliability

03 Toyota Tacoma

by Firefighter Tom from Springfield, IL on April 18, 2011

First of all let me say that before this truck, my last one was a rusted out 1991 Mazda B-2200 with a manual transmission. Anything would have been a huge improvement. It held up pretty well except for the rust. The Toyota Tacoma is a 2003, 2 WD, SR-5, TRD, double cab short bed, with about every option. Exterior wise the truck looks very sharp, it?s all jacked up and looks like a 4 WD even though it's 2. There are 3 exterior options I would suggest, S.S. running boards, to help short people/kids get in. In the channel, window rain guards, Rain comes in from the roof if the window is cracked open a little. The third is a bug shield for the front hood just because the truck looks naked without one. Interior wise, everything is well organized, with the exception of the clock placement, the steering wheel blocks your view. The driver?s seatbelt spring is sort of wimpy; you have to almost feed the belt in to get it to retract. Seats are a little stiff on your back and bottom but I'm OK with it. My only real complaint is dealer parts, and repair prices. I would definitely find a mechanic who works on Toyotas and stay far away from the dealer. I think I would buy one again. Overall, I?m very satisfied.

Best truck I ever owned!!

by speedracerm3 from Blandon, PA on October 30, 2013

2003 Tacoma DoubleCab 4x4 TRD/SR5 package (3.4L V6). This truck has been worth every penny since I bought used in 2007. I've put over 105K on it since then and have only done routine maintenance like oil changes, brake pads, tires and replaced the muffler since then. Frame had the usual rust issues but had it uncoated again per the Toyota recall and no issues with that as others have. Its been great in the snow or off-road and has never let me sit. Hasn't even needed a tune-up since I bought it. If you want a good looking truck that will last forever then buy a Tacoma. I laugh when I read a review earlier saying the guy hated this truck and was buying a Chevy next...really???

2003 Tacoma has served me very well!

by morailj from Rochseter, WA on September 17, 2013

I bought a 4 cylinder manual transmission power-nothing SR5 package Tacoma in 2003. It has A/C and a CD player, chrome bumpers.. and I had a trailer hitch added after-market (not that I can tow much, but I only really want to tow a teardrop trailer or a utility trailer...) Depending on how aggressive I drive, I get between 20 to 24 miles per gallon. I absolutely love this truck, and while I am tempted to upgrade, I have not yet found a compelling reason to do so. I'm probably going to keep this truck and get a sportier vehicle - but it is hard to beat the economy of no truck payments and 20+ MPG... I would definitely buy another Tacoma.

This truck has been so good to me.

by Luis Soler from on June 4, 2017

This truck has never left me stranded. I am so happy I made the investment to buy it in 2003. I have 190,000 miles on the truck and it is still driving like I just bought it.

Never ever quits

by tacoma fan from California on February 27, 2011

Bought a 2003 extended cab automatic 2.4liter tacoma in 03. Now has over 400,000 miles and didn't require its first major repair till it hit 400k (broke a ball joint). Original engine and transmission and was not taken care of very well. Changed oil every 10-20k miles. Beat the heck out of this truck driving in the mountains seven days a week (snow in the winter) and it starts like new every day. a little under powered with the 2.4 engine but the 3.4 picks up well enough when i tested it. Consistintely get more than 20 mpg. Will buy Tacomas for the rest of my life.

Great truck

by Gus from Fl on May 19, 2007

I purchased a pre-owned ext cab 2003 Pre-runner with a 2.7L. I had a 3.0 Ford Ranger and switched because of the gas mileage I as getting with the Ford. I wanted a 4cyl but wanted that bigger truck feel and the Tacoma has it without question. Imo it has much more interior space than the ext cab Ranger, particularly in the back of the cab. More importantly I find that the Tacoma is easier to drive and has better maneuverability than the Ranger. I'm very happy I made the switch.

Best vehicle I have ever had.

by Yotaman from Dallas, Ga on May 18, 2017

Bought this Prerunner V6 new in 2003.Now has 185,000 miles and runs like it did new.Everytime I take it in for preventative maintenance there are multiple mechanics that want to buy it. Don't get much snow down here in Ga. so there ain't no rust anywhere on this truck. I had 2 Ford F150's previously and it really helped that I purchased extended warranties because I needed it several times on both Fords. I purchased one on the Toyota and never had to use it. Never did anything other than what the recommended Maintenance in the specs show.

I love this truck!

by John from NY on October 6, 2009

Toyota Tacoma 4X4 V-6. I owne this truck for a 4 years. And I love it. No problems at all. Get one , you will not be sorry .

Reliable and Rugged, 2003 Tacoma SR5 Xtracab

by Rugged and reliable from Plano, TX on November 25, 2010

2003 Tacoma SR5 Xtracab 2.4L, 4 cylinder, 5 speed manual I've put 99,800 miles on this rugged little truck. I bought it new in 2003, changed the oil every 4,500 miles, got the 30,000 mile service done, and then went back to changing the oil every 4,500 mile again. It's required nothing but replacing normal wear and tear items since then. It's a rugged, somewhat rough ride, but I believe that's what has aided in it's reliability. The parts are built to last. I just got the drive belts replaced, and it's given new life to the engine. Mine is a base model, and even then it comes with some nice features. It would be a very good work truck, but I don't use it much for work. It does get decent (23 mpg) gas mileage in mixed driving.

tbk thumbs up

by The Big Kahuna (TBK) from mo on July 25, 2006

Most reliable midsize truck I have owned. Midsize truck with the full size feel and appeal. Would buy again!

1 2 3 4 5