2012 Beetle

3.9 out of 5 starsValue for the Money
3.9 out of 5 starsReliability

2012 Turbo Beetle

by VW Enthusiast from Orange County, Ca on October 1, 2011

I bought a new turbo beetle and am very pleased with everything about this car. The stereo system is nothing short of great, the handling and acceleration is exactly like my 2011 Audi TT and the new design makes for a sporty, comfortable driver. The turbo Bug is by far one of the best new cars available in the U.S.

Follow-up on prior posting of Love my 2012 Beetle

by "Pete" from Lubbock, Texas on December 12, 2012

I wanted to post a follow-up regarding my earlier posting about my window issue. I took my new Beetle to the dealership service department & within two hours my window was repaired & not only was it repaired it works completely correctly now with no glitches! It will roll down & go completely back up when I hit the switch to roll the window back up. I was told that the window issue has something to do with the child protective mechanism & this was replaced within the window motor unit. Hopefully I will have no further issues. I did talk to the service staff about the second rock chip in my fog light & he recommended that I call the corporate Volkswagen office & speak to them with an "open mind" & express my concern to them & he told me that likely I will be given a voucher to replace my fog light since this is my second need within 2 months for a replacement due to a rock chip. The service man @ my dealership told me that Volkswagen cares that much about customer satisfaction & that he believes my concerns will be listened to & that they will offer me a voucher for the repair. I certainly hope so! I have not placed that call yet, but I intend to & I am going to also ask them to consider eventually coming out with a new replacement fog light that uses the same material that is used on the headlight for the fog light instead of glass so that a rock chip would less likely cause enough damage to shatter the fog light. I just wanted others of you with window issues to know that mine has been repaired to my satisfaction & I am hopeful & that the window issue is now behind me. I hope the same for everyone else that is experiencing any issues with their windows!

DEFECTIVE PRODUCT

by ANGRYBUG from NJ on October 20, 2012

I too have the window problem. The car is great but securing it from the elements and vandals is a nightmare. I complained to VW customer care after waiting months for the "fix". Many owners have been promised a correction is available or in progress. Those owners have all found the parts are replaced and the problem persists.

Does not recommend this car!!

Take a very long test drive!

by 2012 VW Owner from TX on January 16, 2012

My 2012 Beetle is a blast to drive. It feels great in the curves and shoots out of them with a force. It is very comfortable and the arrangment inside makes sense and everything is handy for use. BIG PROBLEM - The drivers door automatic window does not function correctly. From day one it does not close all the way and takes many attempts to get it to go all the way up. The car has been rained in two times already because of this. I took it to the dealer, they quickly blamed the window tint and say VW would of put something out regarding this if there was a problem and to remove the tint to see if it goes away. I explained that it has malfunctioned since day one and there are numerous complaints around the internet. He again told me VW would have put something out. VW PUT SOMETHING OUT SO US 2012 BEETLE OWNERS CAN GET OUR WINDOWS FIXED! Also, had a lighted speaker ring go out and the back hatch was making a loud noise with every little bump. My suggestion is to function the windows at least 25 -30 times before the purchase and to drive it a long way on a road that is not smooth. Carry a roll of tape in case you find yourself in the rain and the window malfunctions. Noisy areas include, the headliner (crackles like popcorn), the back hatch (makes a crazy loud noise like it's going to fall off), and the streering column (sounds like electrical shorting is going on).

An awesome "VOCHO"

by Miami Librarian from Miami, Fl on April 27, 2012

Went in "just for a test drive" and drove away in a 2012 red beetle. So far, all good. Love the way it drives, and the basic engine has nice power; turbo must be a lil' rocket. As far as the previous comments regarding the windows not going up all the way, they're meant to do that--that helps prevent the rubber seal from being damaged. Once the car door is closed, they close the rest of the way. Basic stereo is also more than adequate..nice sound pumps from the speakers. If you have the $$, consider the turbo with the Fender stereo upgrade (400 watts and 10 speakers, I think). But, if you're like me and on a budget, get a basic bug--you won be disappointed!! btw- "VOHO" is what they call the beetle in Spanish. Well done VW!!!!

Good car, but cannot recommend at this time

by urbancynic from Phoenix, AZ on September 1, 2012

I purchased a new 2012 Beetle for my wife with 17 miles on it. From day 1 we had the window issues that everyone complains about. Disappointing to say the least. The dealer's response was "don't use them then." That's not the car's fault though, just bad customer service. The car does handle quite well and the 2.5l seems peppy enough for daily duty. The transmission shifts smoothly and quietly and is good for an automatic (I'm a manual lover, what can I say). The interior trim feels high quality for the price paid and is a very nice place to be. The Fender audio system is very good for a stock set up. The Navigation system seems lacking as it can not seem to get me to my apartment complex without over complicating it. Trunk space is very good as well. The exterior is much improved over the old new Beetle and is actually something a straight man might drive, just not in the wife's preferred Denim Blue. I did notice that the engine compartment has room to work without having to dismantle the engine to top off brake fluid, unlike the old New Beetle. Overall it is a very nice car for the money, but I can not recommend it until VW fixes these window issues. That is THE only flaw on this car.

CAN'T BELIEVE ITS A BEETLE

by MANBUG from Minnesota on October 25, 2012

I bought a 2012 Turbo Beetle with sunroof package with a 6 speed manual. I absolutely love the car. It is super fast and turns heads everywhere. I drove it to the east coast and was blown away by the power and economy. Averaged 33 mpg over 3260 miles with some city mixed in. So I will now talk about the windows. Yes I too have had the same issues with the power windows. They will go up every single time so no tape needed( I am not sure what one the owners on here meant) They go up and then back down so you have to hold the power window switch up until they go up. However, I hear there is a fix now. I can 't image this being a reason that I would not recommend this. It will be fixed and some the reviews need to get a life! This is an amazing car that I would recommend to anyone.

Fun Drive with Out of the box exterior styling

by Viv Evans from on March 24, 2012

Trader in a BMW 328 coupe which I loved. For the money, This car gives me everything that the BMW delivered. The only thing I notice is the weight difference in acceleration and braking. No big deal in my book considering it is priced 10 grand less and doesn't look like every other car out there

VW Beetle Bug Turbo 2012

by madchemist from PA on August 8, 2013

I absolutely loved this car when I got it. Loved the design - shape - curves - color - wheels. But, after only 6 months, I notice a lot of chipping of the paint on the front bumper and hood. What is discouraging is I "baby" all my vehicles and am a fanatic about keeping them clean and SHINY! I did have the window issues but they fixed that of no charge. When I had their "paint expert" look at the paint chips, they said it wasn't covered but because of the low mileage and age of the car they would at least replace my bumper. I told them it makes no sense to replace the bumper but leave me with a chipped hood. I never had a car with such a bad paint job! When they told me I "tail gate" and that's why I had so many chips - I laughed. I have been in the Safety field for over 25 years - I do not tail gate. So.....I am at a loss on what to do other than vent. Perhaps write to corporate?! Any suggestions are appreciated - this is a first for me.

Can't recommend because of the window issue

by Disappointed longtime VW owners from New York metro on July 18, 2012

Wait until VW can offer trouble-free power windows before even considering the 2012 Beetle. The window issue that other reviewers have described cropped up the day after picking it up at the dealer. We noted the problem immediately on feedback forms, but as we quickly rack up the miles, we decided to wait until its first scheduled service to repair it. At that time we learned that there's no fix currently available. We've now been driving a car with what is essentially a defective driver's window for three months. Constant resets make it function for perhaps one or two uses. Trying to close the window after pulling out of the parking garage is a daily aggravation and a safety issue. After three failed attempts to close it last night after parking outdoors (it stops short of the top seal by .25"), I gave up and went inside, hoping rain wasn't in the forecast. We've owned a Jetta, two Golfs, and a Rabbit in the past 14 years and have been incredibly satisfied with them. We'd like to be able to say we love this car, but right now we're regretting the fact that we didn't purchase another Golf.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9