1997 Volkswagen Cabrio Consumer Reviews

1997 Volkswagen Cabrio
Average based on 1 review

Gently Used Cabrio a good buy

by from Medina, Oh on April 23, 2012

I've been working with, restoring, repairing, building, racing, buying and selling cars for over 30 years. So I believe I am qualified to offer a valid recommendation. My Girlfriend was in the market for an affordable, reliable and good performing and good looking car. After two weeks research we focused on the lates 90's & early 2000's VW Cabrio due to it's long term reliability, economy, appearance and fun to drive. Despite some minor manufacturing problems in the electrical systems the overall car was well built. Any issues the car had when new were surely repaired by the time we purchased the one we got. The one we purchased was a '97, 91,000 miles, one owner and Carfax indicated this owner was religious on Dealer Maintenance. The car was impeccably "clean", inside, outside, underneath and under the hood. Everything was a 10 on a 10 scale. The dealer we purchased it from hadn't had a chance to even detail it yet. They had washed the exterior vacuumed and armor all's the interior. Thus far 4,000 miles later the car is perfect and exactly what we expected. Though it's no high performance car it's zippy and fun to drive. Handles well and is economical on gas. On the nice days we drop the top for more fun. Interesting enough the car has very little air noise. I've owned convertibles for over 30 years as well and nearly all have air noise or leak water. This car is nearly silent with the top up, very quiet and very little "blowing around" with the top down and it doesn't leak in heavy rain or even the car wash. We're looking forward to turning over 250,000 miles on this car. Which, with regular preventative maintenance it should reach with no problem.