2002 Cabrio

2002 Volkswagen Cabrio

$478 - $8,114  MSRP Range
2002 Volkswagen Cabrio

3.6

Have You Driven the 2002 Volkswagen Cabrio?

Very good on gas and also a fun car to drive.

by Top down, but not top speed. from Maumee, Ohio on Mon Oct 24 2011

I traded this car in for my 2005 Chrysler Crossfire Roadster. I am happy with this decision but this Cabrio was one of my best cars I have owned. It was in excellent shape when I purchased it in late 2004. I was diligent in keeping it that way. When I traded it in the dealer had no problems selling it right away and only had to recharge the air conditioner. It got great gas mileage up to 38 on the highway and 28 in the city. Front wheel drive was good in the winter, I won't be driving that crossfire in the winter. It had good pickup speed but it was not built for speed. It is a very good economical car and fun to drive with and without the top down.

Fun, cute, compact

by Max from NY on Fri Feb 25 2011

Had this car since it was new in '98. Never had any problems with it commuting 60 miles a day. A blast to drive in the summer with the top down. No mechanical issues but it did start rusting really bad on the passenger side door and gas cap. Have over 160k miles and besides the rust, she runs wonderful. Love the 5 speed, engine is peppy but not super powerful and it gets 30+ mpg for me.

Ready to Buy my Third

by Hardly a Sports Car Enthusiast from West Palm Beach, Fl on Wed Aug 15 2007

After years of driving 3-series BMW's and C-class Mercedes, I've found VW to be low to no maintenance, reliable, easy to own, and just fun to drive. As a single female, I'm not well versed in car maintenance and don't want to be... with the Cabrio, and soon I hope with the Eos, I don't have to be. Great little car... turns on a dime, can be parked anywhere... can haul a surprisingly large amount of stuff!

worst car i ever owned

by bought a lemon from ontario on Mon Jun 18 2007

I hate to saw it but boy did I get a LEMON I bought my 2002 cabrio new, and I should have known better than to take it right fromthe get go the convertible was the wrong color that I ordered but hey I can live with that. The fuel intake to fill the car up will not let you put gas in any faster than EXTREMELY SLOW things in the interir keep falling off and or breaking the cruise control went, the heated seats don't work neither do the heated mirrors, the drivers window has a mind of it's own. as for service at the dealership, Well how many timesshould I have to take it back for the Exact same thing. I quess I now know why they stopped making these cars.

Does not recommend this car!!

I love my Cabrio! Good, solid, fun car.

by Bree60 from Nyack NY on Sun May 20 2018

I love this car. It?s for getting places, not hauling stuff or transporting a bunch of kids. Not tremendously powerful?not a road hog?but a zippy convertible that handles extremely well in winter weather. It?s a VW after all.

rattle box

by no nickname from las vegas, nv on Fri Sep 28 2007

Mechanically this car has been fairly good to me, however small things that have proven to be sometimes spendy and keep adding up. First of all this car has more road noise than any car that I have ever been in. I believe the top needs to be replaced as I have already replaced the seals and it didn't solve the problem. My front window motors need replaced 700 just for the parts, both side panels need replaced, the arm rests are peeling there's rattling coming from somewhere underneath my car and nobody's been able to figure it out. Basically I feel like my car has become a rattle box.

Leilani The Cabrio

by Brett from Montpelier, VT on Tue Jun 21 2016

So I bought my 2002 Cabrio GLX just over a year ago. I love it. The car is so much fun to drive, I've taken this car on a couple 3-4 hour road trips and it's just such a fun, good looking car. I have 93,600 miles and there are some usual VW issues. A hose, valve cover gasket. Occasionally it'll have a rough idle. Some issues that aren't usual VW issues that I've had are the right front axle had to be replaced ($300), new muffler ($300), some circuitry issues causing the right rear tail light to go out frequently. Although the Cabrio has small issues that get annoying, it doesn't overrule the fun that comes with driving this car. I suggest this car to anybody who likes to have fun.

Wanted a rag top!

by Wanted a rag top from Jacksonville, FL on Sun Apr 11 2010

After 4 starters and a new transmission (old one siezed), this car has wornout any sense of optimism that it would last. I love it but cannot drive it more than my AAA tow service would bring me home. Heated seats are great. Good ride. Small trunk (will not hold golf bag with all the clubs without dropping the back seat (so why not just throw them in the back seat?) Sound system is good. The glue is failing on the car now. The top is developing holes in the heat sealed seams.

Fun Lil Car

by Lil BB from Parkville, MO on Tue Mar 08 2011

I love my Cabrio! I have about 60,000mi on her and she has come with issues, but what car that was built in 2002 won't?!? My issues were the motor in my windows went a little crazy and my sensors on my ABS went bad, other than that, I've had a smooth ride with her. Gas mileage is great with prices going insane, insurance on her isn't damaging being a convertible and she is small so it's great to manuever her in tight parking spots that a lot of cars these days can't dream of fitting into. This car does not scream luxury so if you're looking for a Lexus, this would be a wrong pick for you. This car is simple, fun and to the point, no real extras unless you want to count the heated seats. My a/c and heater work amazing, sound is great, however, if you ask my husband he wants to put after markets in her. Great summer or around the city car! She's not bad in the winter, haven't had any problems yet!!Have no intentions on ever getting rid of her, but do have plans to add the EOS to my addition! :)

Does not recommend this car!!

Better have a deep checkbook

by Sonny winston from Swanton, Vt on Mon Oct 25 2010

Purchased a 2002 auto Cabrio with 79000 miles. It's been in the shop 7 times in the first 1000 miles. Mostly warning light problems. Put exhaust and rear wheel bearing on, but that kind of stuff is expected. Once you fix it, it's done. These light problems are very fustrating, next step is replace the computer that may be giving false info. Everything on a VW is expensive.Too bad it wasn't built by the Japanese, then it would work.

1 2 3