2014 Eos

2014 Volkswagen Eos

2014 Volkswagen Eos

Have you driven the 2014 Volkswagen Eos?

You have to compare apples to apples

by Hogzilla from Boston MA on Mon Jun 16 2014

I find it amazing how many reviews of convertibles don't really compare all the features with convertibles. As someone who has owned many convertibles over the years I can tell you what every convertible owner knows - a convertible is a compromise in some features in order to gain the bliss of a warm night cruising with the top down under the stars. Here are the compromises implicit in ALL convertibles: - Less trunk space than comparable cars - and for the most part downright small. - More expensive than the comparable car - Heavier than the comparable car - Wind noise and squeaks are generally worse than the comparable car. These compromises hold for every convertible I have ever rented, owned or driven at every level - including super premium. Thus, I just traded in my 2012 EOS after 3 years for a 2014. Here is how it compares to a few other models. The BMW 1 is smaller, and (imo) uglier. Further, the BMW 1 charges more for options that are standard on the EOS (like Navigation). I have not driven the BMW1, though my sister has the 2011 BMW 3 convertible and I have driven that extensively. Handling and acceleration in the BMW 3 are better, but you can't touch it comparably equipped (and after negotiating) for less than $12K more than the EOS. Likewise the Audi A5, which has, in my experience, worse acceleration and very similar ride and handling to the EOS is also at least $9-12K more than the EOS. The interior of the A5, imo, is much nicer than the EOS and it has more room in the trunk due to the soft-top convertible rather than the EOS hard top. The Chysler, rental 200 convertible, is cheaper than the EOS and drives like it. While bigger, the handling and ride are significantly worse and in any case it will be discontinued. I would have considered a Ford Mustang. It is comparably priced and has better acceleration and very different handling. The Mustang has a heavier feel and feels like it can be thrown around a lot more than the EOS, though the ride is definitely not as smooth or composed. IMO it has a significantly uglier interior, and the back seat in the EOS readily fits my kids quite comfortably and that is definitely not the case in the Mustang convertible. My kids were already complaining on the test drive! Forget about putting an adult in that back seat. The Mini convertible is just that - a very mini experience. While it handles great and gets awesome gas mileage, I couldn't see driving a long distance in that car and I found it quite uncomfortable on the 30 mile trip I took two weekends ago. The ride in the Mini is also significantly more bumpy and jolting over bumps than the EOS. The EOS really does have a smooth, quiet and comfortable ride. I just traded my 2012 in, as mentioned and I never, in 3 years, had a single problem with the top leaking or with anything else in the car. It is an unusual price point, cheaper than the Lexus, BMW, Audi or Infiniti convertibles, but more expensive than the Mini or the Beetle. I think it is worth the extra money over the mini if you are going to be spending a lot of time in it - it is way more comfortable. The hard top really does add to a much quieter experience. At the price range (I negotiated a 2014 Komfort from about $37, 500 down to $32,800 and they gave me a good trade- in value ($20,500 for a 2012 with 31K miles). You won't come close to touching an Audi or BMW for that price. I haven't driven the Camaro. But if you don't need the backseat and are willing to live with the worse gas mileage I think the best other option is the Ford Mustang in this price range.

standard equipment

by Sunny rider from Daytona Beach,FL on Tue Feb 18 2014

We were a little disappointed that items that come standard on most car are not on this one you have to get the top line model.For example, garage door opener, power passenger seat,

We love our VW EOS!

by Denwin from Columbus Ohio on Sun Jun 18 2017

Life long VW owner! This is our second EOS! Sad they are currently not manufacturing them! Don't be afraid to purchase used! Zero problems with any of our Volkswagens! We ?? VW!

WOULD RECOMMEND

by EMK from Warrington on Mon Jun 02 2014

i would not only recommend this car to anyone who loves convertibles but I would also recommend the wonderful salesperson, Erin Fallon who works at the Thompson Dealership in Warrington PA. She is kind, patient and very willing to assist with any question. She was able to locate a car with my exact specs in 24 hours! If you are looking for a Volkswagen, or Audi product you should ask for Erin, you won't be sorry.

Love the combination of performance and comfort.

by John from Punta gorda fl on Thu Jul 20 2017

It's not a perfect car, but does everything quite well. I love folding hard top. My wife has had knee replacement and couldn't get in and out of Miata. I love handling and performance

EOS in love

by Denwin70 from Findlay Ohio on Wed Jul 12 2017

I own two actually and love them both! Superb cars for both winter and summer fun! Just jump in put the top down and drive on!

Miata

by Johnappleseed from Fl on Sat Aug 05 2017

Very pleased with combination of preformance and comfort . Looking forward to traveling accords county

An adorable & unique money pit.

by TKFL2CO from Brighton on Tue Jul 17 2018

I am an EOS fan for the sheer fact that it is the only hardtop convertible with a sunroof..but..once this car hits 3 years old, forget it. This is my 2nd EOS. I currently have a 2014 executive, gray with red interior & have owned the komfort model 2011. The upkeep is expensive and the top repairs are a small fortune & unless you love these cars due to their rarity & can afford to sink about 4k a year minimum after year 3, dont do it. I have 28000 miles on mine, dont drive it often & have babied both of them & that still has not saved me any $ so I can only imagine what would happen if this was your primary car. This year alone I have spent over 10k on repairs to rebuild the top & dont get me started on the engine issues or navigation system problems.

Does not recommend this car!!

What a pleasant surprise!

by Chriss291 from Naples, FL on Tue Apr 03 2018

I recently purchased this car and I am so impressed! It's spacious, comfortable, easy to drive and I love the fact that it's a hard top comvertible.

Beautiful lines and love the color

by Jhemetsunch from Little River, SC on Fri Jul 20 2018

This vehicle is fantastic. Matthews Motors in Wilmington found the exact car I wanted at a very fair price. Tight turning radius, high tech dash and great lines makes this car a must have.

Our Take on the 2014 Volkswagen Eos

The 2014 Volkswagen Eos is a comfortable, fun-to-drive convertible with a luxury price tag — but the biggest problem is that it's not a luxury car.

When I first tested Volkswagen's hardtop convertible in 2007, it won me over with its peppy power and seamless power-retractable top. Fast-forward six years, and driving the Eos is like opening a time capsule: Apart from a light refresh in 2012, it hasn't changed much. Although it's still pleasant, one glaring failing stands out year after year: This little convertible will take a big bite out of your wallet.

A navigation system is standard on lower trim levels for 2014, and all Eos cars now come equipped with Volkswagen's Car-Net communication system... Read More