2015 Golf R

2015 Volkswagen Golf R

2015 Volkswagen Golf R

Have You Driven the 2015 Volkswagen Golf R?

Good, I guess

by Groppy from Indiana on Fri Jun 16 2017

All the amenities, fantastic performance, comfortable for a sport tuned car, very practically sized. The car feels roomy inside compared to it's diminutive outside. It looks good - if you're into the modern hard lines on cars these days. The gas pedal is like a light switch - either off, or full blast, which can be very exhilarating or quite annoying depending on traffic conditions. DSG shifters are so much faster than using a true stick, but they still have real lag and leave me wishing I had that slower, more direct, more in my control manual. The car had more traction than the Incredible Spiderman for the first 10k miles, now I push out on tight turns enough to notice, but not enough to really break traction (this is not AWD under steer, this is the traction control making slower decisions than physics). The paint is attractive, but stupid thin. Everything that dings the paint goes all the way to the primer. This makes me angry. Rattles, squeaks, NVH are better than what I'm used to in American cars, but are extremely noticeable in a $40k+ German car.

Superb hot hatch

by AndrewT from St.Louis, MO on Thu Apr 19 2018

Excellent fast and flexible hatch that outperforms most in its class and above. The nav/infotainment system is a weak point, but other than that there are very few issues -uses a lot of tires (but that may just be the way I drove it).

Outstanding value and performance for the money

by Long time enthusiast from Rye, NY on Mon Sep 12 2016

These are great little cars, if you can find one! They are rare and had to have a car shipped in order to get mine. Great performance of course,but biggest surprise was the civilized ride,even with 19" wheels. Only buy the car with DCC!

Best hot hatch for daily use

by Ctrill from Elburn, IL on Sun Aug 27 2017

Overall an absolutely outstanding vehicle to daily drive. Performance is plenty for normal road use and its extremely practical as well

Extreme Handling and Acceleration

by GolfRMan from San Jose, CA on Fri Mar 16 2018

Car is very technologically advanced with all the bells and whistles. The Golf R is the Cadillac of the Golf family. Drive one and see the difference. A GTI just doesn't compare!

Powerful and agile, yet very versatile.

by Milky from Delmar on Mon Aug 21 2017

This thing is pretty fast. My wife has a dsg in her mk6 gli, and while I though I enjoyed a stick more, the auto sometimes makes me regret my decision. But after a quick shift with the dsg, I'm reminded that I couldn't shift faster with a stick anyways. I have driven nothing but Volkswagens in my life, so I may be biased on my opinions. While a gti is quick, this is faster. I own a mk6 gli with a tune, and the torque steer is unreal. The awd will keep you planted and straight on accelration, it's quite remarkable. This is my first awd hatch, and while I've driven a few other awd cars, mainly Audi and Subaru, I have to say I'm pretty happy with the performance. Fuel economy is so so. I haven't taken a long trip aside from the ride home from the dealer, but I've hit 29 mpg so far. Keep in mind, my fwd 14 gli 6 speed with a tune got 41 on a 7 hour drive to North Carolina. If you're familiar with vw and the fender system, you're getting the same, plus a somewhat updated infotainment system. Android auto is pretty neat, but I've had some issues with my Nexus 6 that I haven't fully worked out yet. If your looking in the $30k range for a fully loaded fast awd hatch, def consider just sitting in a golf r. It's really nice.

Our Take on the 2015 Volkswagen Golf R

You'll grin as the 2015 Volkswagen Golf R's turbocharged engine responds with each stomp of the gas pedal, but a lack of driver involvement diminishes the fun, making this car's hefty premium over the exceptional Golf GTI hard to stomach.

Volkswagen redesigned its Golf hatchback for the 2015 model year. A number of variants are offered, including diesel and fully electric models. The Golf TSI, Golf GTI and Golf R all have turbocharged gas four-cylinder engines rated 170, 210 and 292 horsepower, respectively. The Golf R is the only variant with all-wheel drive. The rest have front-wheel drive.

Besides more power and all-wheel drive, the Golf R gets a unique suspension with available... Read More