2003 Jetta

2003 Volkswagen Jetta

4.0

4 out of 5 stars Value for the Money
4 out of 5 stars Interior Design

Have You Driven the 2003 Volkswagen Jetta?

2003 Jetta GLI

by 03 GLI Driver from Houston, TX on Thu Jul 29 2010

I bought my '03 Jetta GLI in '06 with 46k on it and I have driven the 24v 2.8L VR6 hard every single day it now has 113k. I love my car, the one thing I will say is that the GLI did not do me any favors while I lived in WI. During the winters the low profile tires just would not hook up in the snow, even with a $1000 set of tires I could not get traction. I now live in TX and this car is the stuff dreams are made of. Do not expect great gas mileage out of the VR6 GLI!!! 20-24mpg seems about average. The car never leaves me abandoned and the traction, cornering, acceleration are amazing. I really love the 6spd manual :) it makes me smile. This car drives and performs right alongside many of the more expensive european models, if you want to mod your car getting the 1.8t is a cheaper route but the VR6 GLI is an amazing car without modifications.

Best I've ever owned

by A-4 Driver from Manchester VT on Fri Jul 02 2010

Traded my 98 TDI sedan for this 03 TDI wagon. Have 207000 miles on it and routinely get 50Plus miles to a gallon. Still have origional rear shocks and battery. Front brakes went 129000 miles. Just had $500 worth of body work (rust) done on the warantee. With proper snow tires this thing will go anywhere you want to be.Just can't say enough about how good a vehicle it is. Better than my Porche, Mercedes, Audi, Mustang and my wifes Passat. Made in Germany!

Great car...just get the 2.8 v6

by audi wanna be from Moorhead, MN on Wed Jun 09 2010

I have to drive 60 miles one way to get to school and all, this 2.8 jetta of mine has never left me on the side of the road...which is good in these harsh Minnesota winters. The handling of this car is great, like my brothers audi a4. Fuel econ is not what i thought it would be...but i guess its a small price to pay if you want a fast car and not a 4 banger:) Cons: The air bag light is stuck on...i have not brought it in yet but im not that worried. I guess my overall opinion on the car is that its a great car, maintain it well and it will treat you well.

Great Car

by thefuzzywuzzy from Reading, PA on Tue Jun 19 2012

I love this car. Mine has the 2.0L 4-cyl engine and is the 5-spd manual version. The clutch is very forgiving, which was very helpful due to the fact that I learned to drive manual with this vehicle. I usually get about 27-29 mpg with a mixture of highway and city driving. So far i've had no problems with it at all and it is a ton of fun to drive. The styling is nothing special, but Volkswagen does a great job of making all the controls simple and they pay attention to little details. I would highly recommend the Volkswagen Jetta.

Perfect City Car!

by City Girl from Chicago, IL on Sat Jun 13 2009

I bought my '03 Jetta used (1yr old w/ 17,500mi on it). Overall it's great. I've had some problems but mostly the usual wear & tear things but the basics are great (I just had to replace my brakes for the first time- 6yrs later!) Perfect first car for running errands and whatnot.

95k Mostly Good

by Portland Jetta Wagon Guy from Portland, OR on Thu Sep 03 2009

I have driven my 1.8T 2003 Wagon for over 95,000 miles since purchasing new. Still love the turbo acceleration. The interior has held together very well. The rear seats are cramped for adults but fine for my little kids. When I remove the car seats, hauling capacity is simply awesome (I once hauled a entire patio furniture set). Maintenance costs have been a little steep and I have run into some wierd electrical gremlins. When I accelerate when the engine is cold, my Tiptronic tranny can drop out of gear. There are some annoying rattles. Otherwise a positive experience. In retrospect I think I'd go for the TDI as I only average 22-25 mpg.

2003 VW GLI

by Eric the Norman from McAllen, TX on Sun May 27 2012

Best car ever owned, driven VW for over 30 years and like this model the most! Love that 6 speed and 27 to 31 mileages the gallon.

One of the Best

by Experienced Driver from Washington, DC on Wed Nov 12 2008

I have owned a number of very good cars over the past 30 years, and--even aside from the great value it is--the 2003 Jetta Wolfsburg is one of the very best! It handles like a charm, is very nimble, has timeless styling and many practical and thoughtful features. It's most comfortable and a joy to drive, with great gas mileage to boot. From 2003 when I first bought it to the present, a very reliable car, with no problems at all. Just keep up with the recommended maintenace.

Very Reliable car

by Konrad from new york on Wed May 10 2017

I think this car is very reliable, never had problems with it, and over all it is comfortable. I was driving it for sometime now and I would def recommend it to a friend

Amazing car!

by jbrand5524@aim.com from port jefferson, ny on Mon Jun 12 2017

i love this car, i used to own one. great car with excellent performance. i would recommend this car to anyone who loves to drive on a daily basis

1 2 3 4 5 6

Our Take on the 2003 Volkswagen Jetta

A Diesel That Delivers, for a Price

It was a motorized pencil. It went exactly where I pointed it, albeit slowly -- 0 to 60 miles per hour in 13 seconds on a good day, a bit more slowly on a day of biting cold.

But once the 2003 Volkswagen Jetta GLS 1.9 TDI wagon got moving, it moved with authority. It also got up to 50 miles per gallon from its diesel engine.

Yes, diesel.

Get used to it. There is a chance that diesel-fueled cars, now 1 percent of the U.S. market for passenger vehicles, will make a comeback in the United States.

Diesels have changed radically over the past decade. They are cleaner and more fuel-efficient. At long last, diesel opponents are changing, too... Read More