2009 Jetta

2009 Volkswagen Jetta

2009 Volkswagen Jetta

4.4

Have you driven the 2009 Volkswagen Jetta?

Jetta - a great car

by Jammin Keys from Vermont, Vermont on Mon Jun 21 2010

Nice car! Rides and handles very nicely. i felt instantly at home in the Jetta. Everything was pretty much intuitive. Mileage averaging about 28-29mpg. Definitely has that solid German car ride and feel. Everything about this car seems to be well thought out and implemented. German engineering at it's finest! Haven't owned it long enough to know the reliability, but am hoping it lives up to what I read in Consumer Reports!! Bluetooth feature is nice for hands-free talking while driving, but as reported by people on the other end of the line, they can't hear me very well...

2009 VW Jetta

by Daughters Dad from Yazoo City, MS on Fri Jul 22 2011

Wanted a car that was safe and reliable for my middle daughter. Jetta was compared with Accord and Altima for styling and features. Great performance (almost too great!), fun to drive with responsive handling, great safety ratings and great gas mileage. Purchased the top of line version, so got goodies like leather seating, disc/satellite radio, sunroof, low-profile performance tires, and dual use transmition (automatic or "shift"). My daughter loves it, and so do I.

Traded Benz for TDI

by LD from No.Va. on Sat Jan 16 2010

& haven't had any regrets. Traded down to save $, plan & simple. What I gave up, 'Benz' name, 6 cyl., convertible; self-dimming mirrors. gained: 38 mpg combined vs. 25; lots of storage capacity; great touch-screen radio/stereo; DSG trans., bluetooth, heated ext mirrors; in-dash 6-changer CD; ipod integ.; etc. Will save 50% monthly payment + save fuel + $1300 tax credit + 3/36 sked maint included; write-off sales tax in '09.

Turbo Diesel Delight

by Retired weather dude from Winchester, Virginia on Mon Dec 17 2012

After literally years of research and test drives I purchased a used 2009 Jetta TDI. I gat a very good deal as she had 98K miles--quite a lot for a 3-year old car but was told diesels last longer but some mechanic friends... What can I say--I am getting 40+ MPG while sitting in THE most comfortable vehicle I have ever driven. The 2.0L engine has tremendous tourque and coupled with the 6-speed manual transmission gives it a very racey feel even when driving to Costco for a 15 pound bag of French fries. I commute just over a hundred miles a day and love, love, love only needing to fill up every 600 miles--it means no need for mid week fill ups to supplement the weekend top off and saves me time! The sound system is amazing and the sunroof and other appointments are spot on. The fit and finish on the 2009 are stunning and it boasts a visually striking interior, unlike the 2011 I drove as a loaner when my car was being serviced which appeared to look cheaper somehow. The exterior is not as exciting as it could be but does present a nice clean image--this was the only element I marked <5. While it has only been about 6 weeks & 2K miles, I am cautiously optimistic that this is the beginning of a beautiful friendship!

2009 jetta disappoints

by camogirl from pa on Wed May 28 2014

I bought my 09 jetta certified pre-owned has been nothing but constant headaches and burning holes through my wallet. I loved the car at first. I bought the standard model with low miles. Is a blast to drive, when it runs right. I've had to put a new alternator, something with switch ignition (sorry I can't remember exactly) I've had issues with headlights, sensors, and the check engine light is on every other day literally. I would not recommend this car to anyone and unfortunately thanks to this car I will probably never own a vw again.

Does not recommend this car!!

Never had an issue! Car has been trouble free....

by Diesel Nut from Illinois on Sat Apr 24 2010

One of the best cars I've ever owned. Oil changes at the dealer and that's about it. Starts about the same during the Winter as it does in the Summer. Love the MPG. Combined highway/city is right at 39-40MPG. Solid ride, good sound system, great feel when driving on the highway, very smooth, nothing compares that gets this kind of economy.

best bang for your buck

by savage from adirondacks,new york on Mon Nov 04 2013

its the best vehicle my wife and I have ever owned plenty of power and all the options of a 50thousand dollar vehicle

diesels have power!

by marstar from San Francisco on Mon Jun 06 2011

if you want POWER that the hybrids can't deliver with mpg that is comparable - go for a diesel jetta! mine gets from 36 in the city to 45 on the highway, and it hasn't even hit 25,000 miles yet (which is when the dealer says the diesel engine is 'broken in' - and mpg can go up to 50 mpg on the highway!). at the rate it's going now, i would believe it, and i drive 75 on the highway :) only down side with this car is that VW doesn't recommend running the 2009 model with 100% bio-diesel (though i know folks who have with perfect results). however, as i want to keep my warranty in place, i am only putting in B10 (10% biodiesel) at the moment. after the warranty is up i will increase the percent of biodiesel i am using. GO DIESEL's!

Practical and Stylish

by First Time Buyer from Collinsville, Il on Fri Apr 26 2013

I am a first time car buyer and I could not be happier with my purchase. I was recently driving my husbands new jeep wrangler every day 50 miles and I was miserable. I wanted something cheaper on gas and more comfortable and I found myself having to leap up into the jeep. I was looking for something practical for me and my laid back lifestyle with just me and my dog, but also something that would transition well with children in the future. And then of course I wanted style. So far this car has it all. I easily fit my nephews carseat in the back seat and my dog in the cargo area, I took the car on a weekend trip 1500 miles total and it averaged 28.5 miles. I am filling up roughly once every week and a half and I am driving a mix of city and hwy. Most notably I love the interior, the seats are a dream, heated and contoured so no back pain on my long trip. The panoramic sunroof is gorgeous and seems to be a hit with all backseat passengers. Overall I love my 2009 Jetta Sportwagen, I would buy it again in a heartbeat, maybe get the diesel next time just to improve the gas milage.

09 Jetta TDI

by Jmyers from Atlanta. GA on Wed May 11 2011

Got a great deal on this certified diesel Jetta and it is a great driving, very economical, fun to drive car. Can't say enough good things about the clean diesel and the 43MPG on the road is terrific. Quality seems excellent.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Our Take on the 2009 Volkswagen Jetta

I addressed the wagon version of Volkswagen's 2009 Jetta in an earlier review. Here I report on another returning champion, the TDI diesel version, which is back after three model years away from the U.S. It's now the first-ever 50-state diesel car — a model clean enough to be sold even in California and other states that have adopted its more-restrictive standards. For comparison, the previous-generation TDI (which stands for turbo direct injection in VW parlance) scored 1 in the EPA Green Vehicle Guide for pollution emissions, on a scale where 10 is best. The 2009 TDI scores 6, which is equal to the lowest-rated gasoline-engine Jetta. (Gas models sold in California rate higher, as they have... Read More