2010 Volkswagen Jetta

Not a BMW 335i,--but not bad

by from Dallas on September 24, 2010

We have had the car for 4 months and are quite pleased. I have been able to get 52 mpg on the highway & 33 mpg in town. The big payoff for me is that this "clean diesel" that VW has been using since '09 you notice very little difference b/tw this car and a Jetta w/ a 2.0 GAS turbo. The torque is amazing. We a had BMW 530i previously and although a step down, it still handles and drives like a 'German Auto'. We drove a Camry and Prius hybrid and they are not even in the same league as this vehicle if you actually like to drive. Some cars perform only when you mash the accelerator, this one performs when you do AND when you don't.

Great Fuel Economy and Power without Hybrid Headac

by from Western MA on November 17, 2010

I purchased a 2010 TDI Cup Street Edition. The car has been fantastic. Typical VW dealer nightmares as in incompetent dealer network but the car is good.

VW TDI

by from Kansas City, MO on January 17, 2011

This is a serious powerful green car with extraordinary mileage per tank. Love my Jetta Tdi Sportwagen.

My first VW and first diesel; so far great!

by from Rhode Island on April 26, 2010

I have only had this car for one month, but have spent a lot of time in it while putting on 3,000 miles. I have been recently getting a combined 40 mpg with mostly highway and some city driving, which has improved slightly over the month. It can be sluggish at the start, and the turbo has hesitated several times getting on the highway, but once it warms up and you're on the highway its smooth 'sailing.' This is a fun wagon to drive, and can go too fast if you're not careful. The panoramic sunroof (which was an extra) adds nice lighting to the interior; when it's wide open on a sunny day it feels somewhat like you're in a convertible. The touchscreen radio is a neat feature and the MDI Ipod connect (which was also extra) is awesome in that you can browse your whole ipod via the touchscreen. The steering wheel radio controls (standard in TDI) are convenient as is the 'two-prong' outlet to charge your cell phone (also standard in TDI).

Greatest gas mileage

by from North Florida on October 13, 2010

We love our new VW Jetta sportswagon. My husband drives it daily to work and only has to fill up every 2 weeks. He has been getting 42 miles per gallon around town. The turbo diesel has great get up and go and drives like a sports car. The handling is great and hugs the road. We did alot of research on cars before we were sold on the VW Jetta DSI Sportswagon. Has plenty of leg room in front and back seats and the wagon has great storage in the back. We love our new VW and now thinking about getting our daughter her own.

Great car

by from Fulton, IL on April 19, 2010

We went with a base 2010 Sportwagon TDI with the optional sunroof. We were trying to decide on a sedan or wagon and the sunroof sold the wagon. We have had it for almost 2 months and LOVE it. PROS: Sunroof makes the car feel bigger than it is. Sunshade really makes a difference even though you can see through it. Fun to drive and handles great. Manual transmission is the way to go with a TDI (much zippyier than the automatic). Radio and phone controls on the steering wheel. Touch screen radio is fun to play with and sounds great. Get 46-48 mpg on each tank (mostly highway driving). CONS: No display showing the gear your in - too many times found we were in 5th instead of 6th when going to downshift.

What's not to like?

by from Chantilly, VA on September 1, 2011

This is an awesome car to drive. Fun, fun, fun....and the mpg - unheard of. Why won't the Americans build a car like this. I get 33 mpg in the city and 44+ mpg on the highway. The turbo gives it incredible torque while the 4 cylinder, diesel engine gives it incredible gas mileage. No problem finding diesel fuel, either. The trunk is cavernous and there is plenty of leg room for 4 adults. I'm over 6' and no one has complained about leg room while sitting behind me. I got the 6 speed manual because I think it is more fun to drive but you can't go wrong with the DSG. Compared to my SUV that got 18/23 mpg, I estimate that I've SAVED roughly $1,300 in fuel costs over 10 months and 13k miles of driving. What's not to like?

Sporty and Practical

by from Lansing, MI on June 19, 2010

The SportWagon with the panoramic roof offers a blend of fun and economy that satisfies my spirit without depleting my checking account. I bought it in December 2009 and appreciated the extra source of sunlight even on bleak days. Now that the weather is warm, I can tool around with the roof all the way back and windows down and enjoy a convertible feel without any of the fuss. The heated seats with extra lumbar support are a godsend. This winter my car was one of the most comfortable places I could be--good thing since I travel a lot for work. The dealer advised me that it would take 6000 miles or so before I would get the best mileage, and it is true. I started out getting ca. 25 MPG; with 8000 miles I am now averaging 30 MPG. Liked the TDI and 40+ MPG, but didn't want to spend the extra money. Very happy with the basic S model, which comes with so many features standard that one must pay extra for on most models--like heated seats, Electronic Stability and ABS. Handles well. The car looks small alongside other cars, yet it feels roomy inside and is the perfect size for me--and that is after driving a minivan! I considered the Golf, but am glad I held out for the panoramic roof and the additional cargo space. I expect to fit my bike inside with the back seats folded down. Very happy with this car so far--and hope it holds up for a very long time.

My daughter may never get it

by from Atlanta GA on July 29, 2010

8 months ago, my Volvo S40 had begun costing more in repair bills than it was worth. My daughter is closing in on 15, and since the Volvo wasn't going to make it I wanted to buy a car that she might learn to drive in, and maybe sell it to her at a great bargain in a few years. So safe, reliable, and inexpensive were top needs. Did my research and the Jetta fit those marks. I drove a number of alternatives (Toyota Corolla, Mazda 3, Honda Civic, Nissan Sentra). All seemed...well...cheap. I drove the Jetta and was bowled over (for its price class) by its performance, handling, looks, and especially its features. Leather, moonroof, satellite radio with touchscreen, seats four very comfortably and a fifth in a squeeze, huge trunk for a little car, lots of little extras. Very comfortable to drive and the gas mileage is reasonably good. Taken it on road trips, camping trips, and a daily 30-mile commute. In short - looks like my daughter should start talking to Grandma about buying Grandma's old car. I'm not giving up the Jetta.

Great Car Excellent value and truely the best mpg.

by from Garland, TX on October 11, 2011

The car is very economical and truely a fun car to drive easy to manage. Carrys a load with a very large trunk space and 4 adults can travel comfortably. I am very impressed and happy with my choice.

Our Expert Review: 2010 Volkswagen Jetta