Find out if this car is the best match for you.
2000 Passat

2000 Volkswagen Passat

$442 - $5,142  MSRP Range
2000 Volkswagen Passat

3.5

Have You Driven the 2000 Volkswagen Passat?

A car that I can only recommend to wrench heads

by Jim from Houston, TX on Mon Dec 01 2008

I purchased the GLX new and have never regretted it. I treat my car with kid gloves and lavish attention on it. The cost of this car was an indulgence for me, but I really wanted it and was somewhat blinded by its features and beauty. I followed all the maintenance requirements and still suffered some setbacks. The ABS module quit and I had it rebuilt. The outer CV joint boots opened up at 50,000 miles and I replaced them. The fuel tank sensor went out. The side mirrors quit working. The rear view auto dimming mirror sprung a leak and all the magic liquid ran out permanently staining whatever the liquid touched. The tie rods were shot at 60,000 miles. A sensor in the fancy climate system went out and prevented the AC from working. Lucky for me, I was able to do all this work myself at great savings in labor. Had this work been done at the dealer, it would have been very expensive. I enjoy fixing this stuff although I must say I have spent about 2000 for parts in these past 9 years. Of course I also purchased some manuals and a diagnostic cable that has made my continued ownership of this car possible. This is why I would not recommend this car to a friend. It requires a commitment to support it that I would not expect most sane people to have. However, if a person is mechanically inclined and willing to invest in learning how to care for this car, the rewards are great. If one expects it to run like a top with only scheduled maintenance, forget about it! A good thing is that all the repairs were made with parts that seemed to have been upgraded and I expect they will not malfunction early again. My car still looks new although the interior paint is becoming sticky and wearing off. The leather seats are still beautiful. The car feels very solid and safe. Highway trips are a pleasure. Still, it would be a money pit for some people. So, if you are going to be under your car with a wrench once a month anyway because you love to play with cars, this one is for you. If you expect to get by on only scheduled maintenance you will spend a lot of time waiting for a tow truck. I understand why people either love this car or hate it.

Don't ever get a Volkswagen

by Christina from GA on Sun Oct 21 2012

My brother and I have both owned Volkswagens, his the Tetta and mine the Passat. Both were maintenance nightmares. For the six years I've owned mine, I've had to take it to the shop at least three times a year for the past 3-4 years. Lately it's started falling apart even worse than normal. The check engine light is on, I've taken it four times to the mechanics to be fixed, but it still comes back on. My brother went through two engines with his 2001 Jetta. Aside from my engine, I need a couple thousand dollars worth in repairs; things are always going wrong with it. There is not a year that I don't spend hundreds to sometimes thousands in repairs. My brother's Jetta was the same story. Volkswagen are safe, but they are not reliable or worth the expense in repairs. Even mechanics tell me Volkswagens are bad cars.

still a great car at 123,000 miles

by debw from Miami from NYC on Wed Dec 16 2009

Bought this car used with 34,000 on it, and now have 123,000. We use it as a second car, and it has been thru three renovations and many trips to Home Depot. We love this car. Never had a problem with it, other than radiator needed to be replaced at 102,000 miles and the CV joints twice. I have the V6 2.8L engine, which is outstanding in performance and reliability. The problems people seem to have are withthe 4 cyl. Everything still works, and the ride is comfortable, the heated leather seats still good. Steering still tight and no tranny issues---ever. I wish I could say the same for other cars I've had.

most expensive repairs

by albatross from New York, New York on Sun Nov 09 2008

I have 120,000 miles on this car and I have replaced, at great expense, 2 axles, brakes, clutch, heating system,exhaust system, things I can't even name at a total of several thousand dollars. Recently my airbag computer simply burned out (located under the driver's seat it simply shorted out as I could hear and smell it) to repair the airbag computer is a small fortune so I am not which is ironic given that I bought this car for safety reasons. In addition my door lock system is malfunctioning and the door locks switch off and on when I slow down, go figure. This car has been an enormous repair drain. Extremely expensive and several problems that this model is notorious for. I have loved VW's I would never buy another Passat.

Love this car!

by Gig from Takoma Park, MD on Fri Apr 02 2010

I have had VWs most of my life and I love driving them. They are absolutely reliable and when I've tried to go to other automakers I am always disappointed. My only complaint is that some of the trim on other VW models hasn't adhered well. For the Passat 2000, they have also had some recall issues on the rocker arm.

Amazing car and in excellent condition!!

by JB7 from Van Nuy, CA on Wed Feb 24 2010

Amazing car and in excellent condition!! Great price for a car in that condition and mileage. The car drives like a dream and is great for running around town with the friends. The heated seats are wonderful on those cool mornings when you need to warm up and relax for those long commutes.

Looks good and that's it

by Happy Honda Owner from Oregon on Mon Mar 10 2008

I had to make major repairs on this car 3 times in first year. Very expensive to fix. This car looks great but is not reliable in the least bit. I was lucky to find a buyer to take it off my hands.

Great Car All Around

by Zippy Driver from Matthews, NC on Tue Dec 21 2010

Drove my 2000 Passat Wagon for 8 years. It was my second VW. The car is solid, practical, fun and handled very well. Got good gas mileage with a V6 and was so responsive. Had sufficient bells and whistles without going overboard. Had a couple recurring mechanical issues like the motor mounts and tie rods but overall the engine was solid and ran like a top. The room in the back is awesome for a sedan, I put everything back there. Interior was even luxurious with burlwood and sunroof. Great all around car.

A fun car with not too much hassle involved

by Dan the VW Man from Milwaukee on Tue Oct 11 2011

I bought my first 00 VW Passat from my aunt and uncle when I was 17, and I had it for 4 years. Reliability never was too big of a problem, the only reliability issue I noticed was the CV boot which ended up costing about $250 ever 6 months or so. Beyond that, the only massive issue I encountered was replacing the water pump for $800 and that was after 4 years. I bought another one 3 months ago with more miles, and it hasn't been a hassle yet except for a wheel bearing. If you're looking at a passat, a B5.5 generation or newer may be a better call.

2000 VW Passat Wagon

by Homer from Springfield, ? on Thu Aug 02 2007

Just not a good vehicle, I'd rather walk. Many "sensor" problems when nothing was wrong with what was being monitored. Need more cowbell.

1 2 3

Our Take on the 2000 Volkswagen Passat

Volkswagen Passat, which already has raised the bar for mid-priced, mid-sized family sedans, now throws down another challenge: all-wheel drive.

Sure, the all-wheel Subaru Legacy is out there, especially its lively GT model. But VW's new 4Motion system is something else again, providing a strong performance edge to the already sure-footed Passat, as well as making it amenable to winter drives into snow country.

None of Passat's strongest rivals - Honda Accord, Toyota Camry or Ford Taurus - come with anything but front-wheel drive, leaving the four-wheeling to their brands' truck and SUV models. All-wheel drive was tried on sporty Japanese models such as Mazda MX-6 and Toyota... Read More