1995 Volvo 940

great reliable car

by from Pittsburgh, PA on October 21, 2009

We bought the '95 940 from someone returning a 2 year lease. It has only left us stranded twice - once was a fuel pump and the other some kind of sensor. We've always done the scheduled maintenance (timing belt is crucial and a little pricey). We now have 220,000 miles. I swear if we kept fixing what ails it, it will outlive us both...My daughter's 98 Sunfire was given "last rights" and we're considering a new exhaust and rear bumper for the Volvo and giving it to her. We live in the rust belt and this car has no rust we can see. - I'm not sure my husband could part with his Volvo though... a CLASSIC GREAT VALUE

This car saved my life

by from Orlando, FL on December 14, 2008

I've been driving this model since I got my license a few years back, and I was always pleased with its comfort and reliability. I only ever had minor maintenance issues, and it felt solid and sturdy and got decent gas mileage. Recently, I got into a major accident in it (the car spun, flipped, and landed on its side) and miraculously both I and my passenger escaped with nothing but a few small cuts and a sore neck on my part. I feel sure that had I been driving almost any car, I wouldn't be alive today. The roof of the Volvo, after flipping completely over, wasn't even dented. This car is safe, reliable, and beautiful to boot. A great buy.

Reliability well above average within class & year

by from Wet Coast on June 23, 2012

Owned base and turbo 940 for many years -base lacks power, turbo a bit fuel thirsty. Handling is just average. Load carrying well above average -sedan and wagon. Turbo, transmission and rust worries are negligible. Common 940 problem areas are cooling system!, brakes, fuel pump/relay, oil leaks, front suspension/steering and tailgate struts plus heated leather seat and heated mirror options, as well as door upholstery and radio in 1995. Needs regular basic maintenance. Expect some kind of minor aggravation every 20k miles after 100k miles. You'll $ave if you can avoid the dealer. Good euro-import indies and used parts can be found in many areas. You can find good parts suppliers and maintenance tips on the web. Many 940s get 300k-500k miles without an engine overhaul. If you like the practicality & safety of Volvo rear wheel drive cars then do consider a nice 1994-1995 940. If you need to carry loads get a wagon. If you need to tow then get a turbo. Want power with more class then look at the less common 960s/V70s.

VOLVO 940

by from GEORGIA on May 24, 2006

VERY DEPENDABLE VEHICLE RUNS GOOD GOOD VALUE FOR THE MONEY GREAT GAS MILEAGE VERY SAFE VEHICLE WOULD BUY ANOTHER VEHICLE THIS MODEL

Great Car

by from Pittsburgh, PA on January 10, 2008

This car is amazing. Great value. Great Safety. Great reliability. I've been in 3 big accidents in this car. One large one that resulted in the totalling of a honda accord, and then my volvo drove away in one piece. Thats the safety. Reliability- I've had this car since new. 176,000 miles. 2 major problems. One at 125,000 miles and another at 150,000. No problems dealing with engine or tranny, or more expensive than $1,000 (high estimate). At 125K, the fuel-pump went out, whole relay was replaced for $1,000 (a cheaper place would have done it for $600). At 150K, a small fire on the radiator ignited resulting in the melting of the radiator and cooling fan. Because of the fire a $400 radiator replacement cost me $1000. Its my own fault. I noticed smoking (caused by a faulty radiator leaking fluid and in turn burning it). After the largest accident the radiator was replaced with a cheap plastic one that melted and shifted. I noticed a sudden loss of coolant, but didn't look into it further. 2 weeks later I got smoke, kept driving, got more smoke. I stopped, opened the hood, called a tow, then a spark ignited the coolant. Very small fire, put out with 1/2 bottle of water. Yeah that was stupid of me. I was really busy, it was a hot day, and yeah, I ended up paying for it. Now I check for coolant leaks when I check my oil level. No problem since them Driving: I love it. Tight turning radius, awesome comfy seats. TWO MAIN PROBLEMS: 1) 4 cyl, 114 horsepower, sloww acceleration, 2) Its a box, so wind resistance and noise is noticeable

Similar Models