1996 960

4.7 out of 5 starsInterior Design

All Reviews

Great Car

by SteveKJR from Atlanta, Ga on October 31, 2014

My wife and I have owned our 1996 Volvo 960 since 1998. It only has 93,000 miles on it and to date we never had a problem with it. Keep the oil changed every 3000 miles - replaced the starter and changed the timing belt at 60,000. Presently the heater fan doesn't work but I know the problem and will soon fix it. The electric seats have an issue because of the drive cable and the shield that keeps the cable in place. Eventually it causes the cable to disengage from the gear and the seat won't move. The fix is to replace the cable for around $12.00 - the seat needs to be removed to do it but it's not that difficult. Unless you want to pay someone big bucks because they will lie to you about the problem. The only issue I have is the door panels - they used heat shrink vinyl and it it bunching up on the top of the door panels near the windows. I purchased some vinyl and made repairs and it came out pretty good - considering. Anyway the car is going to be sold to another owner mainly because we don't drive it anymore - it's been a great car and should you come across one in decent condition I would recommend buying it. 22 mpg on highway for this car is great.

230 k and still going

by scenic route from central California on July 21, 2009

My (future) wife introduced Volvos to me and now I'm converted. We've owned three 240's (two sedans and a wagon) and now this 960 wagon. We bought it at about 150k and have put 80k on it so far. We love the safety (two of our 240s ended their lives saving ours with no injury to us including a full speed rear-ending and one that rolled our car by a full speed t-boning). Our 960 has had some maintenance issues, mostly minor, but annoying. The seat rails on the power seats need to be replaced because the gears have broken. We've got some oil leaks, and recently had our brake master cylinder replaced due to a small leak. Over all we still love it and will probably replace it with another Volvo wagon. I will be disappointed to loose the very tight turning radius of our rear wheel drive Volvos when we finally go the front wheel drive. Right now I can turn around on any two lane street without doing a three point turn.

Safe and Reliable

by Car Crazy from Maryland on December 6, 2006

Solid, safe and reliable: this is the car for the young driver in your family. It will also take the family on a trip with all the needed equipment for fun at the destination.