2011 C30

2011 Volvo C30

2011 Volvo C30

Have You Driven the 2011 Volvo C30?

Standing out from the crowd

by PenguinCT from Connecticut on Wed Nov 24 2010

Up here in the Northeast Volvo's are very popular on the roads, but not so much this model; the C30. Im not sure why. I was actually cross shopping different vehicles when I came across one for sale on a dealer lot. It's sharp, tidy and clean lines give this little two door hatch a solid and sporty stance. Once I looked into more info on the trim levels, I decided on the 2011 R-Design. This has standard leather, body color lower body kit (lesser versions have black plastic) special interior trim, 18 inch wheels up from the standard 17 as well as a lowered and stiffer 'sport' suspension. Amazingly hushed compared to my prior car a 2004 Acura RSX Type-S. Ive only owned the car nearly a month and for the first week, I really missed driving the Acura's direct and informative steering and gear box, but the Volvo has come into its own with understated luxury and passing power from the turbo 5 cylinder that my Acura couldnt touch unless you redlined it. The lighter and quick steering took a while to adjust to, and now i just point it and stomp on the gas. My mostly highway commute has turned in a 25 mpg average, which I think is good given the good power turned out by the turbo. For me its a more unique option that the dime a dozen Volkswagen GTIs and Subaru WRX's cannot match. Together with Volvo's 5 year/60,000 complementary factory scheduled service (including all wear and tear items that need replacing except for tires) , roadside assistance, and warranty pretty much sealed the deal on signing off on this deal. Its a very good car that turns heads, though a little on the pricy side. In time, I expect the quality of the car to pay for itself.

I love this Volvo

by C30 Girl from Houston, Texas on Sun Aug 05 2012

I love this Volvo. It is fast, comfortable, cute, sporty, and there are very few around because they are so hard to get. I love Volvo's maintance free program and believe that along is worth buying the car for. The seats are very comfortable and I like the memory seats. I love the "high perfomance sound system." The only reason I gave the interior design 4 stars instead of 5 is because I have the aluminium trim package and the shifter gets very hot if the car sits out in the sun, making it a little hard to shift until it cools down. I love the way the sunroof has a built in wind deflector and it works. If you can find a Volvo C30 I recommend that you buy it.

Well played Volvo...

by C30 Convert from Eastern, CT on Tue Nov 06 2012

As an auto enthousiast the Volvo is an intriguing and infuriating machine. Volvo would have you believe they are a luxury brand, but that is a pipe dream for them. With this, the Volvo "entry-level" vehicle, you will find that commonly accepted options are lacking in many of the cars. Pay attention to the left side of the steering wheel, make sure that the cruise control functions are there. I still can't believe that volvo would allow some C30's to go out without it, the worst part is that all these cars are electronically controlled (fly-by-wire), it is just one module, a dealer-only computer download, and your VISA card away. I had to add the "Trip Computer" functionality at the dealer for about $100 so that I could evaluate the fuel mileage, great upgrade, but why would I have to do this on a 2008 vehicle? Gripes aside, I bought the car because I was going to be doing a lot of driving between Norfolk and Groton, CT. After I made my choice, I found the C30 in the top spot of a top 10 road trip car list. There can be no doubt that this is the right place for it, and it makes sense because the C30 is effectively a Ford Focus that was put together with the right engine and wheels and creature comforts. The long haul mileage of 28 MPG is good; this car should be in the 30's but for the improved noise isolation and interior materials. Not a bad tradeoff, if I'm honest. As an enthousiast I find parts harder to find than my old Golf TDi. Additionally, this vehicle is not as well documented with How-to's and shade-tree knowledge because of its' rarity. On the other hand I find it extremely easy to work on and wouldn't hesitate to replace brakes, suspension components, alternator, filters, etc.

How Swede It Is!

by Bash from Pittsburgh, PA on Wed Dec 30 2015

I cannot describe what a pleasure this car is to own! I bought mine used with 33k. Only issue I have had is a bad CV joint which was covered under warranty. Great dealer service! Wonderful performance, and it is a real looker with the R-Design package. Comfortable and stylish seats great for long trips. I never get tired of driving this car. I also have an old Volvo wagon approaching 200k. I performed only routine maintenance with the exception of a heater core and radiator! I have no doubts this car will live up to the same standards! R suspension may be a bit harsh for those used to a softer ride.

Excellent car! (Posted elsewhere long ago)

by Want value for money! from Kingston, TN on Fri Nov 04 2011

Since my car got totaled in a hail storm I have been test driving a number of them. Notably Scion TC, Volvo C30, VW GTI, Audi A3, Subaru WRX, MazdaSpeed3 and Mini Cooper S (I might have missed one or two, oh yes, the Miata, but certainly cross-shopped more on paper). BMW 128 and 135 were considered but not found to be good value or reliable. I narrowed it down to two ... Overall, my perception is 1) that both cars are equally quick (C30R 5AT); 2)their handling is not terribly different (the C30R IS more planted; the GTI MIGHT be more nimble); 3) the GTI can be more fun due to its dollop of wallop at higher RPMs meaning you have to row the gears, while the C30R has a continuous and more powerful band; 4) the C30R is far more luxurious and inviting for commuting; 5) the GTI sucks in the city while the C30R does not; 6) the GTI's breaking is more positive but choppy compared to the C30R - same stopping distance from what I read; 7) they both look great while the C30R also looks like a work of art inside and out; 8) the C30R has a lower cost of ownership and is far more reliable; and 9) the Volvo will still be on the road long after the GTI has gone to automobile heaven. So updating on this post ... I now have 10K miles on the C30R and am very happy with the purchase. The 6MT is much better than the 5AT.

Fun Little Car

by Consumer from Ft Worth Texas on Mon Jun 06 2011

Purchased my 2011 Volvo C30 in March. I had done extensive research on various small sporty vehicles and found this one for a very good price at a Volvo dealership in Ft Worth Texas. The 5 cylinder turbo with 6 speed manual is a blast to drive. It corners very well and accelerates very quickly even in 6th. The interior leg room is limited, I'm 5'11 and with the seat all the way back long road trips get uncomfortable. The MPG is decent at around 30 highway and 26 city. Interior styling is fair to good but the Volvo engineering and safety features more than compensates. With over 10,000 miles already, I will be looking for this model again in 2016 and I hope with some improvements to comfort.

Civilized Mini

by Light from Texas on Fri Sep 24 2010

I drove all the minis save and except the Cooper Works model, and was negotiating the price when I saw this car from the freeway one day and stopped to test it. I drove the R model and the T5 and decided on a 6 sp T5. 2 months and 5000 miles later, I am convinced I mada the right decision. The only car I wanted to drive but was unavailable was the Subaru turbo. Very comfortable and fast and a real highway cruiser.

Sporty sexy hatch

by Ryan from easton PA on Fri Jun 23 2017

I bought this car used at 100,000 miles from a local dealer. clean carfax and all. I now have 111,000 miles on it and I've owned it almost a year. I love the interior its beautifully designed and comfortable. Trunk space is small but seats do fold down if need be. Performance is great. I love the sound and power of the turbo 5, Handles amazing and loves going down some twisty roads. The car has never failed me. It has broken however. My rear suspension control arms were toast and my power steering rack just went out. but at this mileage problems are sure to arise from any make or model. ALSO*IMPORTANT* the sunroof drains are a huge issue with these cars. they do leak and they will flood your car. Be sure to have them checked and repaired before it becomes more of a problem.

Best kept secret of the Volvo line

by JanetOH from Columbus Ohio on Thu Apr 19 2018

This is a great little peppy hatchback with turbo charged engine. Very responsive and great handling. Stylish and fun to drive. Two door model, so back seat entry is a challenge. That said, that is the only drawback to this discontinued model. I love this car.

90% RECOMMEND THE C-30

by m'lou from huntington beach, ca on Sun Jun 12 2011

I like the styling of my new (well, new since Nov. 10) Volvo C-30, and its comfort. Like driving on silk (most of the time). Salesman told me that the tires had hydrogen therein (?) but turns out that was specious. It is a smooth ride, in any event. I was promised (think Conumer Rpt my source) 26 mpg and never ever got that, so far (more like 23.5); only criticism re the body (besides the fact that moving the front seat for someone to clamber in the back seat isn't a lark) is the concave lump on the floorboard, to the left of the clutch pedal. Gets in the way. Esp if the diver has big feet; I wear size 8 sandals and sometimes that lump gets in the way of my left foot (I have a 6 speed shift car). Glad I bought it; like the long warranty; also like that there aren't very many cars like mine in the neighborhood! So far so good. marie

1 2 3

Our Take on the 2011 Volvo C30

I really enjoyed the 2011 Volvo C30. It's fun to drive, has an excellent interior and it looks great after its recent redesign.

Now, if you're the sort of person who has to have a reason for everything — if you never buy a can of soda because you can get more for less in a two-liter bottle, for example — the Volvo C30 isn't for you: It's not utilitarian, it's not super-fast and it sure isn't cheap.

Yet I'm glad to see cars like the C30 being built; after all, if automakers can afford to make them, things can't be that bad, can they?

Getting Around
The C30 is a fun car to drive. It has a 227-horsepower, turbocharged five-cylinder engine that makes 236 pounds-feet of torque, which is... Read More