Find out if this car is the best match for you.
2001 C70

2001 Volvo C70

2001 Volvo C70

3.6

Have You Driven the 2001 Volvo C70?

Absolutly awesome!

by Here's to loving a volvo from Wisconsin on Mon Sep 29 2014

3 years ago I purchased my 2001 C70 (135,000) and was instantly in love! I couldn't believe the amount of luxury you can get for $3000 in one of these. 17" alloy wheels, power everything (especially the engine), most comfortable car I have ever driven, and with a fairly limited production of coupe models, it makes for a unique and georgous car to own. When people say they are expensive to own, it always comes back to "dealership repair costs". Parts were actually dirt cheap (if you need any) and the engineering behind the platform is absolutely brilliant! I changed the timing belt (precautionary) in 1.5 hours myself with nothing but some cheap hand tools and no experience on this car. Not to mention they are factory undercoated heavily(most American cars are not), which you'll appreciate if you live in a state that uses salt in the winter like mine. But like any car, keep up on the maintenance with high mileage and these beauties will never let you down. In my opinion, the 2001 C70 (if not all C70's) is one of the most under appreciated and overlook budget cars ever made! simply excellent!!

Fun & Practical

by Volvo Driver from Mississippi on Mon Mar 10 2008

Great for anyone who wants the sporty convertible but still be able to haul kids, etc. around too. Very roomy backseat seating for two. HT version has incredible pick up - this thing will scoot. I had the Dolby Pro-Logic sound system - probably the best sound system I've ever heard in a car. Safety features are impressive. Seats are extremely comforatble (and love the heated seats feature). Only negative - ride fairly firm, feel a lot of bumps, etc.; but, I had the low profile tires and I've heard it would be somewhat softer with normal tires.

Almost but not quite

by 87 CARS AND COUNTING from EAST HAMPTON NY on Sat May 13 2006

I have had 87 cars. I am a trained mechanic and I know cars. I have had everything from a 328 GTS to a VW Bug. I love the styling and the car has great pick up. The problem and it is a real problem is the ride. You would expect it to ride like my old 960 but it doesn't. It is harsh, bumpy and the wheel even shakes from time to time. I have 17K miles on the car so I went to the dealer and he said maybe if I changed the tires to a higher profile tire it would help but this is the way they are suppose to ride. Ride is very important to me. When I was younger it didn't matter that much but now I want a more soft and responsive ride. I loved the ride on my MB SL handeled like one of my 911's but felt like an S class. This car should have been designed better. I am sure I will sell it soon but it is to bad as the car has drop dead looks, plenty of options and a great interior. If you don't mind the ride it a hell of a car.

Does not recommend this car!!

very pleased with this car

by Love this car . from florida on Fri Jul 31 2015

I got my Bang for the Buck on this car, I purchased My 2001 Volvo C70 convertible at a Estate sale in 2013 with 123,000 miles the best used car purchase I have ever made. This car is awesome !!! for its age and still a head turner when driving. It handles well on the open road and around tight turns at a high speed. But trying to get into a parking space is hard as far as maintenance goes not a problem and very inexpensive with the right mechanic. I'm very pleased .. :)

Very cool, yet challenging!

by CLP from Mayville, MI on Fri Jul 11 2014

Purchased from used car dealer a year ago "as is" with 97k miles on it, with top not working and rear window coming unglued. Black on black with tan interior. Very good price with complete previous owner records, and new set of tires. Drove it home to Michigan (900 miles) no problems, and over 33 mpg, and fun, fun to drive! However top repair/replace is insane, just too expensive to comtemplate. So replaced rear window with tinted lexon (looks great and no leaks), and now operate top semi-manually with generic power window switches mounted on a panel in the trunk. Other than that, it is a great car, and we LOVE it. Lots of compliments, and no one can believe it is an '02! Recently voted most envied car in our church parking lot (after our pastor preached on envy:).

Best maintained and reliable I’ve ever had

by Angoonman from Semora, NC on Thu Jun 14 2018

This car performs like new and will continue to do so for many years. Top is only 4 years old, tires are almost new and maintenance records will show why it will last.

Responsive and Fun Car to Drive

by Love My Convertible from Richmond, VA on Sat Mar 10 2007

The C70 has plenty of power and sporty handling. Interior is comfortable, and the ride is very smooth. For a convertible, the back seat is rather roomy - plenty of room for kids, and adequate for adults. Roll over protection and side air bags are huge safety features. The system for the top is really nice. By pushing one button, the top goes down in 30 seconds and is enclosed completely. The car looks great with the top up, but it's shape is really sharp with the top down. I think the C70 is one of the best 4-passenger convertibles around.

very happy with this car

by Keithfj from Fort Myers, FL on Thu Jul 27 2017

I bought this car about a month ago and the car only had 36,600 miles from the second owner. This car had all of the receipts and original sticker price since it was bought new. Car is also the 17" alloy wheels with all of the power options Purchased this car for under $2,000.00 and very pleased. The only thing is I wish the car had a better plastic drink cup holder.

Biggest mistake I have ever made

by Sick over money lost from Virginia on Fri Oct 10 2008

I bought the 2001 C70 used and drove it for almost two years. Cosmetic things are constantly breaking. I jumped in it this past spring for a nice ride with the top down. The top stopped half way down & would NOT budge. My boyfriend worked a couple hours and got it closed. Have not driven it since. Walked behind it last week & rear window has come UNglued from the canvas & fallen! Volvo dealership said Glass has to be bought WITH new canvas top. Priced at EIGHT THOUSAND DOLLARS!!!!!!!!! I do not even have that in my savings account. This car has been a money pit since the day I bought it. The driver's seat is comfortable, it is a BEAUTIFUL car but drives LIKE A TRUCK. (Very stiff steering and steering wheel jumps going over bumps and entire dash moves with some bumps sometimes). Good features are good but bad are very bad. Have spoken with several other C70 owners and they all have had problems with theirs as well. This one is a $19,000 loss for me. I am sick over it.

Issues

by Ravens from Baltimore, Maryland on Sat Jan 30 2010

I am sorry to say, we loved Volvo cars, we have couple of Volvo cars in the past but this one takes the cake. We have taken our Volvo C70 to the shops too many times in the past 2 years since we have own this. The mechanics can't figure out what the problem/s are. Everytime when the weather goes down to the 20's the car will not start right. We have spent over 2 grand to get the car fix and the problem is still there. Parts are expensive. I personally own a Nissan and it has not given me problems at all only the maintanence that I need to do. It is really eating up our bank account.Great during the summer time. Get compliments left and right and its a great looking car. We may have to look into another Volvo. It is creating problems with our daily lives. No more C70.

1 2

Our Take on the 2001 Volvo C70

The first time was disappointing. The car was beautiful. It looked hot. But it was more show than go. That was in 1998, in California, when I drove the initial version of the Volvo C70 convertible.

I was smitten by its looks -- a topless, muscular body with burled walnut and supple leather inside. But maybe I was more surprised than smitten. Volvo back then wasn't known for making pretty cars. "Sex" wasn't in its design vocabulary.

So it was exciting to be in that first C70, tooling around California looking cool and everything -- but getting blown away by Chevrolet Camaros and Ford Mustangs.

The problem was the C70's engine. On paper it seemed powerful enough -- a 2.4-liter, light-pressure-turbocharged, in-line... Read More