2000 S40

2000 Volvo S40

2000 Volvo S40

3.8

Have you driven the 2000 Volvo S40?

Very reliable and economical Volvo

by Kickdown-169 from Germany on Thu May 13 2010

Purchased it in 2009 with onle 11.000 miles on it from an older lady, now the S40 has 21000 miles on it and drives great. Very economical and reliable, we did not have any problems with this car. Very safe car! The Volvo S40 is comortable enough for long road trips, the automatic transmission is a bit slow, but very smooth. We also have a Volvo V50 and a S60, we love our Volvos.

Great Starter Car

by S*A*L* from on Tue Jul 07 2009

I've only had my S40 for a few months but I love it. The only REALLY annoying thing is that my dad locked the radio on accident and you have to leave the car running for 2 hours before you can try to reset it...and that's nearly impossible. I feel very safe when I'm driving my Volvo and that's the most important thing to me. Sure the insurance is a bit much, but it's totally worth it! I know I'll be able to trust my car for years to come :)

Most economic car

by Volvo maniac from Sharpsburg,GA on Sat Sep 12 2009

When we moved from Florida to Geaorgia we used a tank and a half of gas eventhough the car was loaded. We recommend this model. Go for it!

Suprise By its performance

by Dan sr. from Bay shore , New york on Tue Sep 08 2009

I live in New york My son goe to college in nashville Tn. I drove this car almost 1000 mile in a day . I stop only 3 times for gas when the tank was half full. I was able to pass any tuck if need .I can't beleive how well this car perform going from Ny to Tennasse.

Good over car

by baseball08' from Maine on Sat Mar 15 2008

I myself am also 17 and i've had this car for almost a year now and i like it a lot..unlike other cars i've drivin, the S40 along with any other of vovlo's modles, are a very solid cars and holds the road very well, .. the 1.9L Turbo (160hp) is nice..even though it's not a huge engine..

Affordable Luxury

by Momof2 from Indianapolis, IN on Thu Mar 05 2009

This car looks small from the outside but has a very spacious interior. I'm 5'5" and my husband is 6'4" and we can both drive it comfortably. We bought it as a 3rd car, but it's quickly become the favorite. The trunk is HUGE! I love the fact that the seats fold down to allow for even more versatility. Handling and performance are wonderful, but my kids would argue that the sunroof and heated seats are the car's best features. Even though mine was just purchased, and it's got some years on it, this car is beautiful and still turns heads. I'm ready to replace one of the other cars with a newer model!

Most Reliable Car I've Owned

by Ladinas from nj on Wed Dec 26 2007

although wehn my rents first said i was gettin a volvo i was skeptical.. i enjoy everysingle car ride in my volvie!

Best value and safety!

by Ldias from Corte Madera, CA on Fri Jul 28 2017

I have currently owned this car for over 6 months and have really enjoyed this 2000 Volvo S40. I purchased it with 98k miles for $2300 and put in some work with the help of my mechanic partner (oil change, replace a fuse in the dash, battery replaced, and timing belt change). It has been so reliable and safe during 2 minor fender benders, with nothing more than a tiny scratch both times! I am a professional nanny so I am always taking the kids around to where they need to be, it's not very spacious for twins in booster seats with and 8 year old in between - and for the purpose that I am needing more space I am going to need to upgrade to a mid size vehicle quickly! I love that this car makes me feel safe, has great handling, and is so dependable!

Most Reliable Car I've Owned!!!!

by Carolina Tar Heel Hottie from Chapel Hill, NC on Sat Jan 27 2007

I personally love my Volvo S40. I'm only 17 years old but I feel safe in this car and I know that it won''t fail on me if anything ever happens. I highly recommend the 2000 Volvo S40 to not only parents but really to anybody that can drive. I think that Volvo is a reliable car manufacturer and I know that I will drive a Volvo for the rest of my life! :)

I am very disappointed...

by yay for nicknames from Otis, OR. on Sun Jun 19 2011

I have a green 2000 Volvo S40. We purchased the car in November of 2009. First problem was the balljoints need to be replaced. second problem-the check engine light kept coming on. Now, I've read a few reviews that say that the check engine light coming on isn't uncommon in any volvo, and at first i thought, maybe it's something to do with the emissions, or a dirty gascap, something like that...but recently(2011), it's been coming on more frequently, and now every once and awhile, the car won't start. I 'googled' this problem and found that it might be the 'Neutral safety switch'. It will be paid off in August, and I was thinking about taking it in for the costly repair work, but my mother said, it turned out to be a lemon, and I should trade it in for a newer car with less miles on it. It has 113,000 miles. Really, if it would atleast start every single time, I wouldn't complain, but when you have a job, and you are dependent on a vehicle... If money is not a problem, than by all means, go for it,But make sure you have a few thousand for repair costs just in case. my first car was a 1997 Toyota tercel, which i'm giving to my younger brother. It has 158,000 miles on it, still runs great (though, its not built for speed or power), and has had NO problems. I That is the IDEAL first car. Its simple. no bells/whistle, and will last FOREVER! very dependable. Volvo has style, but not very reliable. I can admit, I was sold on style.

Does not recommend this car!!

1 2