2001 S40

2001 Volvo S40

$929 - $5,757  MSRP Range
2001 Volvo S40

3.9

Have You Driven the 2001 Volvo S40?

Great things in a small package

by Double Daddy from Rockford, IL on Sun Jan 13 2008

I've had the car for 1.5 years now and I still am in love with 3 particular aspects: exterior styling, fuel mileage, and ride/acceleration. There's something about the angles on this car- it manages to be boxy, but still very stylish. On the interior, however, I can't stand the green illuniation on the instruments. The leather is among the nicest I have seen in any car less then $50k. I drive with a very heavy foot and still I get an average of 26.5 mpg with an automatic and a turbo. While its no drag racer, the turbo really keeps things fun as it really is decently quick. I don't know that I ever driven such a small car that felt so solid- it really feels like a tank. On the downside, my only real complaint is that the resale is quite bad. I can't understand why. Despite what you may read on the net, these are generally very reliable cars. Also, I hadn't realized when I purchased the car, but it really is quite small inside. The last couple generations of Honda Civics have larger interiors. Since I've owned it, there have been no reliability issues out of the normal wear & tear items. All things considered, you're not going to find anything this luxurious and yet affordable.

Love my Vovlo

by Jen214 from Knoxville, TN on Sat Feb 16 2013

I had a red '01 s40 and hit a telephone pole head on. Both airbags deployed and the car was totaled. I, however, was completely unharmed. I purchased another ?01 s40, navy blue this time, and I still love the car. So far, very reliable and very comfortable. This is my 3rd Volvo and probably will not be my last.

Problems from the Start

by KaitlinC from Boston, MA on Thu Dec 12 2013

I had problems before I bought this car, but still went ahead with it because of my desire for a Volvo. That was 9 years and tens of thousands of dollars ago. My car is now about to die, at only 128k miles, and, according to my very trusted mechanic, the S40 is like the unwanted step child of the Volvo family, with the 2001 model being the worst of the worse for reliability. That being said, the Turbo aspect of this car always, always made me very very happy.

Does not recommend this car!!

I enjoyed the car!!!

by Vick from Nevada on Sun Oct 14 2012

I had 2 the same volvo s40 - first 2000, second 2001. I changed the first one for the second for the lower miles. In total i put on these cars about 50k miles and i did enjoyed their performance and reliability. It's turbo makes this car really fast so I could beat standard modification subaru or older version of bmw 3. Safety features - everybody knows volvo for that - no comments!!! From European luxury cars this one is the cheapest in parts, and it actually wasn't giving me problems. Just maintain it on time and it will for sure pay you back!

Very reliable feel when driving it.

by Tristin on Thu Jan 18 2018

It was very practical just kind of pricey . The owner was really smart on upkeeping the car and making sure it’ll be a great buy for the next guy.

Great Highway Car

by zahav from 06820 on Wed May 24 2017

Our family purchased a certified pre-owned S40 that was 3 years old and drove it daily. It is not the fastest car out of the stop light, but at highway speeds this automatic-transmission car is smooth as silk. Also, it handles beautifully as a typical European car should. Volvo has great attention to instrumentation and little details inside, plus it is as solid a car as they come. Best MPG attained -- 27. We highly recommend the S40 if you can find a low-mileage, used one.

Volvo S40, a solid car!

by pedromueller from Everett, Washington on Sat May 01 2010

I've had my 2001 Volvo S40 now for about 6 years and have put almost 100k miles on it, in additon to the 45k it had as a certified used car. It's simply a solid, reliable, fun to drive little european sedan, nothing too fancy, but it does what it does well. It's quite economical and has had very minimal in the way of repair needs -- but beware, most items are going to run 2x or 3x the cost of a "domestic" car, simply because of the name and foreign badge. My next vehicle will probably be another Volvo, probably a V70 R wagon, more room and power is something that one can never have enough of.......

Fast, comfortable, reliable, practicle, artsy

by Volvos40owner from Mercer County, NJ on Sat Feb 14 2009

I've owned this car for two years now and have had no major repairs done. Keep in mind I bought the car with 88,000 miles already on it, and the service records only went up to 60,000. I would say my total expenses for keeping the car running for these two years has been less than $600, and that's including some things people wouldn't have done to their cars such as spark plugs, k&n air filter, etc. People who complain that these cars are not reliable simply are not reading their manuals/giving their cars at least some attention. I would say putting in premium gas as you should even with this 4cylinder car ensures that your s40 will run strong and fuel efficient (28mpg +) for a long time....Happy driving!!!

This Car Saved My Life

by Loriski from Appleton, WI on Fri Oct 19 2007

I was involved in a head on collision with a cement median, both air bags went off and my S40 was totalled! I feel that this car saved my life along with the angles that were with me that day!

Great Value for a 10-year-old Car

by 3-Volvo Family from San Jose, CA on Mon Jan 16 2012

I recently bought a 2001 Volvo S40 and also have a 2003 S40. These are very safe and comfortable cars for the price, much better value than other sedans in the same range. Volvos do have electrical quirks, but if you keep up with the services, they are very reliable family cars.

1 2

Our Take on the 2001 Volvo S40

It was a fly-by birding, a pre-dawn raid. Splat! Trickle.

Splats don't trickle in sunlight. That happens at dew point in the dark, and it happened all over the 2001 Volvo S40 sedan.

I looked at the mess, trying to figure out why the birds chose this car. Maybe they didn't like its silver paint, or perhaps the car's color enhanced its value as a target. Maybe they didn't like Volvo, or maybe they didn't likethis Volvo, the least expensive of all Volvos sold in the United States.

Dumb, mean-spirited birds!

I washed away their droppings. Beneath was a front-wheel-drive compact that was pretty in the way that ordinary things are pretty.

There was nothing fancy about the... Read More