2001 S80

2.9 out of 5 starsValue for the Money
2.8 out of 5 starsReliability

high pros, low cons

by a young car fanatic from Chicago, IL on June 4, 2012

we also own a 2001 Volvo S80 T6 and it has served us well. my favorite feature is the 270 hp twin turbo inline 6. what a great power plant that car has. very torque-y (280 foot pounds) very nice on the outside but the inside lacks a premium feel as far as the dash board goes. the seats are some of the best in the business. they are comfortable as can be, really. but the plastics on the dash are somewhat un-premium. none the less, I'd recommend this to a friend if they were considering. however, it is in the shop a decent amount of time. although that could be because of the mileage (95,000) great car! GET THE T6!

MY MECHANIC SEES ME EVERY MONTH!!

by Merl from Norfolk VA on August 30, 2008

This car has been my worst nightmare. I feel like I?m dating the repair guy, that?s how often I see him. Every month it?s something else. There is always a message. Needs bulbs more often than my home does. The electric system fails. Sometimes I?m driving and the sun roof just opens, even in winter. I have had the transmission rebuilt The engine runs loud when air and heat is used. Leg room is at a minimum in back I own a 2001 Ford Windstar mini van I bought it used in 2003. Use it to lug kids , church stuff, and drive it more than the Volvo. I have only had to do routine maintenance and replace a battery. Not as pretty but more reliablility , better on gas no headaches. I would love to sell but nobody wants to buy.

Does not recommend this car!!

More sporty and powerful than previous Volvos

by Flash from Florida on January 9, 2009

I bought mine used in 2005, and it has been very reliable. Lately, a light bulb goes out here and there, and it's similar to solving a mystery to locate which bulb is out. I've punched it up to 96 mph on country roads, among other things, and it can move. This is the most luxurious car I've owned, and I've had quite a few. I'll be sad to give this one up.

The car that gave me the most headaches

by a volvo owner for more than 2 uears now from Philippines on November 17, 2007

My 2001 ,s80 is only 30,000 miles young but is giving me a lot of problems already. Problems like radiator oil cooler leaking into the transmission, jerky shifting, power steering hose bust, transmission support, rock and pinion replacement,all under chassis replacement, brake hydroback replacement, and a few more major repairs aside from constant visit to the shop due to a lot of message showing up on the message board, This car is a night mare to own. Im selling it but it seems nobody is interested. I wish you wont make the same mistake of buying volvo.

Best Car ever made

by Volvo Lover from Orlando, FL on March 31, 2007

I would have no problem putting my loved ones in this vehicle it is a great car. Made from pure enginiering quality. I will never leave this vehicle.

piece of garbage

by bflo from RI on December 3, 2007

say any trouble and i've had it. lights, brake lights, abs system, throttle, brakes,e tc etc u name it ive fixed it on this car

used 01Volvo S-80

by Frank02128 from Boston, Ma on September 18, 2009

I bought my used 01 S-80 from a dealer in 04. The car and dealer is exactly what I expected. It lives up to its reliability and performance. Since I had one brake job and many oil changes. (Normal) This is my second Volvo. First one was a used 4yr old 740-GLE that I had for 14yrs. Thats what made me stay with Volvo. The only work I have done on both cars were just routine. I do definitely recommend the S-80. and the dealers.

Least reliable car I have ever owned!

by Volvo owner from USA on July 26, 2007

This car is beautiful, comfortable, spacious, and has saved the life of my husband and brother-in-law when they were involved in a side-impact crash at approximately 45 mph. They walked away with just whiplash and a headache. However, the car has been in the shop at least every other month since we purchased the car in April of 2004. Problems ranged from an oil leak to the throttle assembly, a cracked coolant hose, then 4 months later, a cracked coolant cylinder. The power door locks failed at 85,000 miles, and the car's ignition failed to recognize the car's key at 68,000 miles. At 75,000 miles, the gas gauge and gas tank float required repair/replacement. If I ever own another Volvo, I will make sure it is not my only source of transportation!

So Far So Good

by Dferraj from Worcester, MA on August 6, 2017

This car was what I expected, ran very smooth for the price and had little physical damage. It was everything I was looking for in a first car.

Great Value Volvo 4 Door Sedan

by John K from Folsom California on April 25, 2018

Owner from beginning. Been reliable, comfortable and very nice car. We are glad we bought it. I think it would be a good serviceable car for someone who is looking for a bargain!

1 2