2003 S80

2003 Volvo S80

2003 Volvo S80

Have You Driven the 2003 Volvo S80?

Looks great, built well

by New Volvoist from Iowa on Tue Aug 10 2010

After driving and fixing American cars for decades, I found myself hooked on this Volvo as soon as I popped the hood and saw the clean design and quality engineering. So I bought it, figuring I'd have to spend a pretty penny to keep it repaired, but not really caring. It's not without problems. My particular model needed a lot of work to get it up to snuff, mostly suspension issues- the factory suspension is supposed to last 50k miles, but it didn't quite make it: clunk! clunk! That's going to cost a grand and a half using OEM parts. I did it myself though for about half that cost. I've been through most of the car fixing this and that, and found everything to be pretty well designed and easy to work on. The car drives like a dream, and has amazing power even in the non-turbo version. It has great safety features, as you'd expect, yet still looks very sporty and drives that way too compared to other cars in its class. It's not particularly economical, getting 30 on the highway if you're careful. But it's certainly brought a lot of the joy of driving back for me, and elicited a great deal of admiration for its engineering.

Most Comfortable and Reliable car but maintenance

by Vinod from Fairfax,VA on Thu Oct 05 2017

After driving this car for two years. I am really happy to drive such a luxurious car. So many options. I felt the engineering comfortable. Seating comfortable and breaking, balancing is very well. I drove 3000 miles in 10 days alone without any issue. Runs great with premium gas. You can drive with confident. Very good electrical options like seat heating-Side mirror heat. Back seat head rest control. Back seat AC control. Drawbacks: Engine heats much because it is 6 cyl Parts are expensive but durable All mechanics can not do repairs Coolant is very specific its from Germany..

Fast, Safe, and Completely Unreliable

by Volvoer from Iowa on Wed Nov 24 2010

This car will con you into buying it when you test drive it. It's got every feature you could want, and drives like a dream. It also has more safety features than any other sedan. Yet it is a maintenance monster. Since buying mine at about 75k miles, I have dumped thousands replacing most of the front suspension, the fuel system, and lots of minor repairs to the chassis, and some electrical components. The fuel pump has an issue where is just quits working once in awhile. I've traced it back to the pump itself, something internally is not connecting right, and Volvo refuses to replace the pump until they can get it to fail on their watch. Even though it is a dead ringer for the unsafe recalled fuel pump in a recent service bulletin. Since it doesn't want to happen for them in the shop, meanwhile I'm back with it, stuck paying parking tickets and paying cab fare when it doesn't work. I will simply have to get it fixed on my own dime as well. Despite all of that, I still love this car more than any of the dozen or so cars I've owned in my life. It looks great, moves fast, and can survive a tangle with a Hummer. I'll pay a lot of repair bills for that kind of experience.

Personally crashed tested

by Cub fan from Sweet home Chicago on Fri Mar 13 2009

Bought this T-6 new and enjoyed it greatly until I was T-boned in it when a guy ran a red light at about 40 MPH pushing me into another car and then head first into a light pole. Totalled the car, but walked away without a scratch and the safty features worked just as discussed in the video when we bought it. The other drivers, the police and the tow truck drivers were all shocked that I was not on my way to the hospital after seeing the car. When they say Volvo for life - that is how I feel and why I am on this site looking for a replacement Volvo. Loved the Sedan, but my husband was a bit crowded in it (6-4 350 lbs) so we are thinking the XC90 for some extra room. Thanks Volvo, I am walking proof that your safty is awesome!

High European quality with good reliability

by On wings of eagles from Jeffersonville, Indiana on Mon Nov 18 2019

I bought a 2003 Volvo S80 T6 (2.9L 6 Cyl. twin turbo) in 2014 that had 171K miles on it. I drove it for 3-1/2 years and it was solid and reliable. The volvo was very comfortable to drive with nice smooth ride and had a spacious interior. The engine was very powerful with the twin turbo pushing near 270 h.p. The fuel efficiency was decent getting 20 to 24 m.p.g. using premium fuel. The car was well built with high quality materials in the interior and the exterior paint was holding up well for the age of the vehicle. It was a reliable for 3 years until I started to have problems the last few months I owned it with the instrument cluster paneling going out, this is a problem on Volvo's as they age. To replace the instrument cluster panel it would have been $400. Also I suspect the head gasket was going out because the engine was loosing a little coolant and the engine oil was starting to look like chocolate milk. The A/C stopped working within the last year that I had it but this is expected for a 14 year old car at the time. One weakness of this vehicle was the turning radius. The turning was incapable of sharp turns and required many 3 point turn arounds, in other words, it had a wide turning radius.

Best car I have owned yet!

by Fan of the Swedish people! from Seattle, WA on Thu Nov 08 2012

I read 100 reviews about many different cars before I decided on a Volvo. So I know the importance of hearing good reviews. This car is solid. Swedish people really do design a higher level of products and Volvos are no exception. I bought this car at 101,000 and now it is approaching 115,000 and I have had zero issues with it. I know that is not that long, however this is my experience thus far. I have changed the oil and soon with change the timing best only because it is suggested by the Volvo dealer to change it around 105,000 miles. I cant wait to save for a newever Volvo! So much bang for your buck! Just as good as a Mercedes or BMW at a much lower price. Go Sweden!!!

Love this car

by Janice 33 from Monore ,Oregon on Thu Dec 13 2018

My husband found my 2003 S80 on line, Only had 117,000 miles on it, when he mentioned that he wanted me to look at a Volvo my first reaction was No, I was picturing a older model squared wagon that I thought were one of the ugliest cars on the road, but he talked me into going and looking anyway,with my mind made up already to a solid No I was taken back when we pulled up to this silver moondust colored car,,this car was sporty, cute and very nicely designed and after I test drove it I feel in love with it. Handles and drives so good and not to mention the safety features it has.. I would recommend this car for the old and the young at heart ,,a great car for a first car because if the safety features and dependability it has. So take one for a test drive and see for yourself....youll fall in love.

LOVE this car!

by dogsbestfriend on Sun Jul 16 2017

Comfortability, speed, premium sound, powerful, roomy, quality in all areas, love this car....best car ever!

Best Used car purchase I have made!

by Pround Volvo Owner from Cumming Georgia on Tue Apr 16 2019

This vehicle was a great condition used car and a great value for 2003 with only 86k miles and I expect to be driving this one for a long time due to the condition and reliability of Volvos!

Status symbol

by my nickname from NY on Mon Apr 19 2010

If you can afford to take your Volvo to the dealer every other month for the newest rattle then buy this car! If not, but a Honda! We did!

Does not recommend this car!!

1 2

Our Take on the 2003 Volvo S80

On Christmas Day 1998, I wrote about a new Volvo, the flagship S80 sedan, which I both praised (“incredibly nice”) and damned (“generic European style”).

Now, almost four years later, I’m back in the S80 sedan, and not much has changed. It still has a refined driving feel and a sophisticated, if subtle, appeal.

So, I keep asking myself, why don’t I like this car as much as I used to?

Perhaps I’ve changed, having gotten pickier and more crotchety with age.

My wife and kids might concur with that opinion, but I think the competitive landscape has made the S80 less enticing.

Certainly, buyers — or, more precisely, non-buyers, agree. S80 sales are... Read More