2006 Volvo S 80

Can't go wrong with a Volvo!

by from The Jersey Shore, NJ on March 20, 2010

We recently purchased our 2006 Volvo S80 used with 30,000 miles along with a Certified Pre-Owned Volvo Warranty, and we couldn't be more satisfied. Ours is silver with a beautiful charcoal interior. One minute in this car and you can see the quality craftsmanship that makes Volvo an understated luxury brand. The stitching on the leather handles of the wooden steering wheel is a perfect example of this. Our S80 is kitted out with rear-park assist, Volvo Factory Navigation and Dolby Pro-Logic II Stereo options. All work seamlessly, especially the stereo. This is the best sound system I have ever heard in a car. Absolutely an incredible machine. The handling is secure but not sporty, but hey, this is a European Touring Sedan. If I wanted sporty handling I would have bought an S60 or S40. This car will swallow up miles like nothing. The ride is buttery smooth and very very quiet, which makes this an ideal car for commuting on the interstate. The engine is a 2.5 Liter 5-cylinder engine with a light-pressure turbocharger, and man does it haul! Acceleration is more than adequate while getting 30 miles per gallon on the highway, so this engine is a perfect match for this car. As for the styling, let's call it understated luxury. The curves are gorgeous and the interior is as intuitive as can be and still provides a beautiful curvaceous shape. All in all, I can see myself as a Volvo buyer for life. I would absolutely recommend this car to anyone.

Off to a great start

by from New Hampshire on February 21, 2009

I recently traded in my Audi A6, with its esteemed Quattro Drive, for a 2006 S80. No sooner did I leave the lot than did the snow start flying. The AWD Volvo is superb in the snow- at least as good as the Audi. I've always liked the exterior styling, even if it is a bit boring, but it was the interior design that sold me on this car. It is substantial and understated, simple but with all the creature comforts. The only downside of the interior is somewhat limited legroom in the back seats- fine for kids but a bit close for long drives with four adults. Still, an amazing interior. The 5 cylinder is adequate to move this vehicle along and the only thing that bugs me about the handling is the very light steering. It's overly assisted and you lose some road feel because of it. The engine sounds great under acceleration but it's wonderfully quiet while cruising. I love the sound system and, though trepidatious at first, I even like the wood steering wheel. It's only been a short while but I'm looking forward to a long run with this excellent car.

I was wrong

by from The Woodlands, Texas on July 24, 2006

Volvos are boring, tired, and old fashioned....That was my opinion until I purchased one of my own because of the recent excellent safety ratings. We wanted safety first and ended up with a super car. It's surprisingly fun to drive, with lots of get up and go, good interior room, and smooth, quiet handling. I'm still not crazy about the exterior, but that's not what I see and feel while driving, and it's growing on me.

Best Car That I Have Ever Owed

by from MI on July 15, 2006

Even though its not a Benz or a Bimmer....I like it becuase its just as comfortable inside the cabin and it is not screaming...."I'm a rich Yuppie"!! The 5 cyl turbo engine has amazing power for its size...plenty of pick up when you need it. Buy this car...you will not be disapointed.

Great comfort, mileage, and reliability

by from Lawrenceville, GA on March 17, 2010

Purchased new in April 2006. Have 43, 000 miles with no problems. Average about 30 mpg on highway. I hope to own this car for a long time.

A comfy road car

by from Sacramento on February 2, 2007

Front seat comfort is the best of any domestic or import that I have owned to date. Quiet solid ride, excellent brakes, fairly nimble for such a large car. Steering could use more road feel, Volvo power steering is a bit on the light side. Power from the 2.5 turbo is good, but not smooth at idle as other luxury cars. Roomy trunk. I'm getting about 25 to 26 MPG in mixed driving. I had owned a 2001 S60 with 105,000 miles on it. Since it was a fairly bullet proof car, purchased the S80 with a steep discount. Saw the new 2007 S80, what an awsome car.

2006 S80 AWD TurboVolvo Maintained - Now for Scrap

by from Newton on March 8, 2017

I purchased a 2006 Volvo S80 AWD (certified used with 20k miles on it at purchase) and always kept it up through Volvo shops. I purchased the car due to its marketed reliability. I had the radiator replaced 4 months ago and now at 140,000 miles the engine failed and it will cost almost $7k to replace. The recommendation from Volvo is to scrap the car. Had I known I was going to only have the car for 140k miles I would have looked elsewhere.

Gas guzzler

by from Allentown, Pa on October 14, 2011

Nice looking. Smooth ride on the highway. Quiet. Nice features. I had the AWD model and it averaged about 16 MPG. On the highway I could get around 25MPG. Not real smooth acceleration, but I can't complain. I traded it in for a Subaru Outback, AWD and gets 21 MPG City and 31 MPG highway. Not sure how any one can say they got 30 MPG on the highway with the S80, especially if it was AWD. There is just no way!

Still going strong

by from Livermore, CA. on August 26, 2016

I'm the original owner with 210k miles. Very reliable, hoping for another 200k. Well maintained, dig it!

I really like my vehicle!!!

by from DC Metro Area on May 12, 2011

I've has absolutely not problems with this make and model. I would suggest it to anyone. The value for the money is worth it the cost.