2004 Volvo V40 Consumer Reviews

Change Year
2004 Volvo V 40
4.3
Average based on 7 reviews

Great Car, a couple of problems

by from Cleveland on October 7, 2009

My wife and I bought this car new. The styling is great, there is plenty of cargo space for one child, one large dog and some luggage. There has been one nagging problem. I have replaced rotors on the brakes four times. I drive the brakes very gently so this is definately not an operator problem. I have been through two sets of mechanics and the problem continues to pop up. It is an expensive, recurring problem. Hard to believe that everybody has the same problem with lamps burning out but that has been a problem with us also. Go figure. That is pretty minor really. Very comfortable car. MPG is better than we expected, close to 32 mpg using regular gas on the highway. We are up to 107,000 miles and still going w/o any major complaints besides the brakes and rotors. I'll probably go back to Toyota when it is time to get something new.

Beautiful to look at-even better to drive!

by from Willimantic, Ct on May 7, 2012

This is the newest and most expensive car I have purchased, and it has been worth it! I searched for a few months for the right model year for the right price and found it. I love my car!

I love my v40

by from Monsey, NY on January 3, 2010

This is a great car. Looks different than the conventional boxy Volvo. Very comfortable front seats. Handles very well. Very fuel efficient at 30 mph on the highways. Back seat a little cramped for taller adults.

Better than average looking Volvo

by from Salisbury, CT on July 6, 2008

Recently purchased a 2004 pre-owned from a Volvo dealer. It is peppy and handles OK. I've mostly owned BMW and it's no BMW but it is roomier than the BMW 325 sport wagon and that mattered. Both the BMW and this use 91 octane fuel but this runs perfectly fine on mid grade 89 octane. One plus is that when it is cold outside, the heated seats turn on automatically. Nice. We paid $13500 for a 4 year old with 38K miles.

Great Little Car

by from Central Massachusetts on November 26, 2010

After driving Jettas for many years I decided to treat myself to a little more "Cush". Look at S70's, V70's and S60's. Om I bought mine in April with 70K on it. I have since pn a whim I decided to look at 40's. Bought mine in April with 70K on it. Have since put on over 12K. It rides well, handles great and with sensible driving, gets 30 around town (country driving) and 35+ on highway. Every once in a while I get on it and put it through its paces, it responds wonderfully (I think it likes it!!). I've also gotten many compliments on its looks. Gave a friend a ride and all he kept saying for the entire time was "this is a nice car". Only issue so far is blown brake light bulbs, but I can live with that. Definitely would recomend it to a friend and plan on getting lots more miles out ot it.

A solid car and sexy too!

by from Vermont on July 14, 2008

The car handles very well, no matter the weather conditions. The gas mileage is better than I expected (30-35 mpg). The only annoyance is the low clearance and the light bulbs that constantly burn out, otherwise this is a terrific car!

Really superb

by from Chicago on August 23, 2007

Excellent. I found really cool features on this car. Especially the winter mode and the heated seats in the great lakes region are a must