2004 V70

2004 Volvo V70

2004 Volvo V70

Have You Driven the 2004 Volvo V70?

Great Value

by Ken from MInnesota on Sat Sep 01 2012

This is the fifth Volvo and second V70 that I have owned. I have only had it for a month, but I have already put over 3000 mile on it. It is a 2004 V70 front wheel drive (no turbo). It has worked out well for us as I pull a 1200# boat with it. It get 30 miles on the highway and averages about 26 overall. This is the car I wanted and am please with its operation. I previously owned a 98 V70 AWD turbo. It was nothing but problems. One thing after the other. However, I really like the past Volvo's I had and would give the V70 another try. So far I so good. I have purchase three of the Volvo's with 100,000 miles on them and except for the 98 have driven them well over 200,000 miles. They have been a great value for the money.

My favorite car so far

by Neil from Mercer Island, WA on Fri Jun 08 2007

I really love this car. It handles well enough to be zippy city car, but is just sweet on the open road. The safety and reliability of a Volvo plus the practicality of a station wagon - brilliant car.

Great car

by Ken from Modesto,Ca on Tue Oct 16 2012

i bought 2001 V 70 with 29,000 on it, it has 197,000 on it now, i am very happy with this car,only normal maintenance, i do change oil on time, best car for the money, buy it

Very Practical Car for a Family

by BKS from Corona, CA on Sun Jan 21 2018

Awesome Vehicle. Been driving this for 14 years now (150,000+ miles) and simply can't outgrow this vehicle. Car still looks and feels like a new car and I will keep this vehicle as long as I can and when the time comes to buy a new one, I will probably be looking for the next available wagon from Volvo to replace this. Unfortunately Volvo don't make the V70 anymore and have changed the Wagon design in the V90s. Comparatively I find the cargo space a lot more useful and practical in the V70. People think the V70 looks boxy and apparently Volvo tried to add curves to improve the styling but unfortunately that compromised the space in the V90s. Personally I find the V70 very elegant in its appearance - perhaps I am used to the looks of the car! :-) I love this car, it is great for commuting (32 MPG freeway), great family car, rock solid and safe. As a station wagon the cargo space is great, rear seats fold down flat and makes a great camping vehicle where you can spread your sleeping bag and sleep with the rear seats down. A very functional vehicle that allowed me on so many occasions to haul big luggage and big box items without having to rent a pickup. Over the years I can't find a single vehicle that can match this car that drives like a sedan and functions like a small pickup truck when needed. And apart from minor irritants listed below the car is rock solid and built like a tank. If you don't watch your speedometer you could be speeding at 100M and not know it. The only negatives I see in the car are as follows:- - The headlights / parking lamps keep failing and need replacement every other year. Life of a bulb appears to be 1-2 years. Compared to my other car, the 2004 Lexus ES330, I seem to need at least one bulb replacement (Front headlights or tail light) every year. I don't recall changing a bulb in my lexus for more than 4 years and the volvo V70 needs a bulb replaced every year. - The center console, Glove box appear to be made of some hard plastic that keep rattling and squeaking at times while driving. Just resting your arm on the center console makes it creak & squeak. This problem started even when the car was barely 5 years old and can be very irritating and annoying. Over the years, service personnel & I have tried to minimize and fix this where possible with felt and other material between plastic contacts that rub against each other. Today, 14 years later, car interior still looks new, beautiful, clean and solid but the creaks continue. - The 5 Cylinder Engine tends to vibrate sometimes - At times car drives very smooth but occasionally the car tends to vibrate. Nothing serious but quite noticeable at times. Apart from these irritants, the general features and quality of the car makes you overlook these imperfections that are more of an irritant than a deal breaker. Of all the cars I have driven over the years no car has endeared itself as much as the Volvo V70. When the time comes to change a car, I look for the next best thing I can afford. But when the time comes to change this Volvo V70, I will be looking at Volvo for the next replacement for my V70. A dream replacement will be an electric V70 that meets the cutting edge technology of modern electric cars but provides all the function and utility of my present V70.

Love my V70R

by Anne from Wake Forest, NC on Tue Aug 07 2018

I wish this car would last forever! Six speed manual V70R that I purchased new back in 2004. Love the comfortable seats, acceleration, steering and handling. It is still going strong at 180,000+ miles but wish they still made these as it has 14 years of steady use. Only issues are the very low clearance of front bumper and very wide turn radius. Has been reliable and remains a joy to drive....please bring these back Volvo!

Great car to I going to buy another

by Tspoon from MAYWOOD on Fri Jul 20 2018

Yes this vehicle is great any and everything I had to do it good on gas it very reliable heart safety vehicle and going to buy another one

Love this car

by Blondi1517 from Houston, TX on Wed May 23 2018

I love the classic Volvo look of this car. It is turbo and so much fun to drive! It has served me well for 14 years!

Pocket rocket...that also hauls stuff

by The Prof from Chicago, IL on Tue Nov 22 2011

I've had it for more than four years and I've never been happier. Prior to this R wagon, I had a 1996 850 Turbo wagon, and was impressed with Volvo build quality and the sheer power - not to mention the utility. Then came the major upgrade to this R wagon. It had always been my dream to own one when it first came out in 2004. Mine came with the striking orange Atacama leather, moonroof, premium sound, tinted glass. The best part: the twin turbocharged motor, coupled with 6MT which is a godsend. Minimum turbolag. Smooth shifting. Only complaint is turn radius, and it is something every R enthusiast complains about. It has been very reliable. The common issues were covered under warranty. Since it uses Brembo brakes, a brake job costs more than a regular Volvo, tho not by much. That is the small price to pay to own a top-of-the-line already-extinct piece of engineering marvel.

Good Safe First Car

by Swedish Expert from Chester Coiunty PA on Fri Dec 21 2012

I needed a car for my son who finds the family SUV a bit of a handful. He wanted a sporty car and I wanted a safe car. I made for my usual place; Swedish designed cars. I have owned, 8 Volvos and 9 Saabs. I found one just in to the dealer for PX and not yet PDId. A one owner with a full service history, non smoker and almost untouched inside barring the cheap center console lid. The dealer replaced it. The turning circle is nowhere near as impressive as the 740s or the V70s which is the one thing that lets the car down. The performance is fine, the steering and handling perfect. The style is timeless so no one would know the car is 9 years old. Under 100,00 miles and I have driven mine up to 245,000. Get leather in preference to cloth and be prepared to pay $500 over the odds for a good specimin with history. Knock $1000 off if there is no history. Great safe car and I would recommend it to anyone wanting an economical stylish European car.

Very Expensive To Maintain

by Daniele10 from Florida on Tue Sep 24 2013

Great midsize wagon. Don't ever buy one unless you get a complete maintainance history. After 100 K this car costs a lot to maintain. At 110 K you need a new water pump and Timing belt. $900, needs a $800 brake job, needs new motor mounts, Need front end work, new struts, then at 129,000 miles, a new transmission for $3000, Just replaced the catalitic converter and the inner driver's door trim panel for $285 because the inside door handle in part of the panel ( $550 at the dealer) I love to drive it but I'm going broke. Wonderful Engine! 2.4T is fast!

Does not recommend this car!!

1 2