2005 V70

2005 Volvo V70

2005 Volvo V70

4.3

4 out of 5 stars Reliability

Have You Driven the 2005 Volvo V70?

be sure to get the R

by 2005V70R-AWD from TN on Thu Dec 03 2009

bought the 05 V70R, and it's the third Volvo I have owned (98 V70 GLT, 07 XC90). The R model is by far the way to go if you're looking at an 05 model. Yes, it will come with it's Volvo "gremlins", but you either love it or you don't. It's a little small if you're planning on using car seats. but plenty of power, great handling and style. I'm a big wagon lover, so this is a must have if you're looking for a wagon. Cons: No AUX jack for ipod, rare to have NAV, tires will be costly to replace, AWD can be expensive if it goes out.

Very reliable car

by senior in Walla Walla from Walla Walla, Washington on Thu Jan 13 2011

We purchased this V-70 5 years ago have not had one problem with it other than tires brakes and other routine maintenance. purchased with 20k miles, now has 76k. gas mileage 23 city 29-31 hwy drove across the US was comfortable cargo capacity unbelievable. We have driven in some pretty deep snow this winter the car just goes and goes. It is not quite the car my Cadillac is but my wife is very happy with it. only complaint is cost of repairs Volvos are very propritary. New ignition key & remote $600.00.

Great Car

by jojo from Miami on Thu Jul 17 2008

Love this car - We bought this car used although it looked and ran like brand new. Stylish, versatile, and reliable. I can't say enough. I average 26-28 mpg. The perfect car.

Volvo V70RRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

by MilleMiglia from Music City on Tue Nov 22 2011

This is a brief review of the V70-R, the high-performance version of Volvo's venerable wagon produced from 2004-07. It's an all wheel drive 300 HP turbocharged inline 5 cylinder with computer controlled semi-active shock absorbers and Volvo's superb 'Dynamic Stability and Traction Control'. A reprogrammed ECU can quickly add another 30 HP. The manual 6-speed transmission is a few seconds faster 0-60, since the 5-speed Geartronic automatic is torque limited in 1st & 2nd gears. At a glance, it's a soccer mom's wagon, but subtle details reveal it's sporting nature. A test drive confirms performance approaching the BMW M and Audi S class cars. It's a real sleeper that will outrun many a 'boy-racer'. Volvo made numerous improvements to the R for the 2005 model year, providing greater reliability. But the car can be frightfully expensive to maintain, particularly at Volvo dealerships. Despite the expense, V70R's have earned a cult-like following among enthusiasts.

to soon to tell

by beachball from sudbury,on on Thu Aug 21 2008

fourth volvo, '72 1800es, '96 850 turbo, '97 850 wagon and my 2005 V70 enjoyed them all. I find the turning radius for the V70 poor. I do enjoy that the V70 can be driven the speed limit (100 km) without feeling you are crawling along, where as both 850's just want to go,go, go. Do not feel compeled to use cruise now. Only put 6K on car since purchase like it so far.If car is 1/2 as good as my 850's I will be happy

Reliable Volvo Wagon

by V70 Owner on Wed Feb 14 2018

I own a 2005 Volvo V70 2.4 FWD. I have owned my V70 for 14 months and 32,000 miles. It has been an excellent vehicle. Extremely reliable! Only had a problem with the heating/cooling, but a simple replacement of the thermostat and sensor resolved the issue. The only complaints I have are: - Low ground clearance (living on a dirt road in New England has proven that mud season is no match for a low setting vehicle) - It is very easy to leave the parking lights on as there is no sound to alert you that the lights are on - Definitely would consider an AWD for my next Volvo vehicle The pros definitely outweigh the cons: - Very comfortable seats - Impressive features for an ‘05 - Excellent visibility - Great gas mileage for such a large wagon (27-32 mpg) - Minimal repairs needed (car has 182K miles) - Decent audio system - High quality interior (much better than my parents Infiniti) - Fold-flat rear seats!! (Something that my prior wagon lacked) - So much storage and cargo space! - Has get-up-and-go although it is a non-turbo model, have no issues getting up to speed on the highway Overall, I have been very pleased with my V70. Giving up such a wonderful wagon will not be easy!!

Best Wagon for the $$$$$

by Stage4survivor from LI, NY on Fri Jan 29 2010

I have the non-turbo base w/5speed. Bought new 4 1/2 years ago. It was loaded for the base model, wish they'd offered bi-xenon lighting. Despite the base engine, the stick allows better engine and power control. It is fun, reliable and the best wagon for the money. I get 23-24mpg combined driving mileage.

A mix of fun-to-drive and utility

by Kid Hauler from Herndon, VA on Wed Apr 02 2008

I've had a 2.5T with premium and run-flat package for three years now. It's generally responsive and fun to drive. You can't beat the cargo room for a vehicle of this size. We fit three kids car seats across the back, but the legroom is still pretty tight behind a 6-footer. We had a problem with the stability control sensor and improperly inflated tires... both covered under warranty. The run flat tires run at high pressure (39lbs) and need to be topped off often to avoid the "tire pressure low" warning light (that doesn't know the difference between "low" and "no pressure" apparently. Most of the items I would call shortcomings I've gotten used to: overly complicated climate control, no homelink, no CD changer, large turning circle.

not worth it

by Noy Liking Volvo Anymore from Los Angeles on Sat Sep 29 2007

I bought this car for my wife and our new baby. The child seat takes up most of the back seat and doesn't allow much space for the front passengers. With another baby on the way we have to buy a minivan now to accomodate us. The worst part about the car is the service. We bought the car new; it has a rattle behind the door, the passenger side seat moves when breaking. Three times now the car won't start displaying the message "try again" as if we were gambling. When we took it to the last service the person forgot to reset the "service engine" light and so I had to drive an hour and a half out of my way to get that reset. Don't buy this car.

Does not recommend this car!!

One of the best cars I owned

by Volvo fan from Omaha on Mon May 14 2018

Volvo is great, one of the best safe cars in the world, I don't need to say more it is internationally know for it reliability.