2003 Volvo Xc 70

2003 Volvo xc70

by from Boston, Ma on August 14, 2011

We inherited our xc70 (2003) when my parents worried 50k was the beginning of the end. Right now (2011) it serves as family truckster, a surprisingly spirited country road or highway driver (just drive Boston to Pgh with a full load of luggage for four, passing trucks on hills at 100 plus with solid confidence). Oh yes it, has 150,000 plus miles on it! Looks to me like Volvo is building longevity of 240d's with 200 hp turbos and styling which feels like you have not chinced and bought an old car. I giggle to myself when I think of how much car I have at such a high mileage, and low maintenance costs.

Perfect - why buy an SUV?

by from Summit, NJ on October 3, 2006

We came across the XC70 after looking at a few mid-sized SUVs (including the '06 Honda Pilot and '06 Toyota Highlander and Lexus RX). Bottom line, the XC70 has more cargo space than the RAV4 and Highlander and almost as much cargo space as the Pilot. This is a true luxury car, however, and has style and grace that the SUVs of the world just can't offer, no matter the manufacturer Acceleration is smooth, the interior is as comfortable if not more comfortable than our other car (Infiniti I35) and highway fuel economy is better than average compared to most sedans/wagons but superior to most SUVs. Interior accoutrements are excellent as are built-in safety features - perfect for an expanding family that likes to take road-trips (the optional third row child seats as well as built-in boosters are quite nifty and keep everyone very happy between McDonald's and Burger King stops). The 208 hp engine is a bit noisy around town and during heavy acceleration, but is powerful enough for emergency manuvering and passing as well as getting up to crusing speed on the highway. iPod integration was available on our car and works flawlessly. While the stereo doesn't have a known audio manufacturer's name on it (like Levinson or Bose) it works well and performs adequatley reproducing each and every flaw in the iPod's compression alogyrythms perfectly - (CD's, which are less compressed, sound great as does XM radio - I'm not a big iPOD fan - can you tell?). I too agree with the last reviewer; do what we both did, find a Cross Country that's two years old with low mileage and is certified by the dealer. Ours ended up costing in the mid $20s and included a warranty that doesn't expire until 1/2012. Well worth the price when the original sticker on our car was close to $43K.

120,000 miles later, still going strong

by from Greenwich, CT on January 20, 2013

My parents bought this car new in late 2002 when we lived in NYC. It has endured hiking in the Catskills, biannual 1000 mile round trip road trips to my grandparents, my sister and my soccer games, and now harsh New England winters. I learned to drive on the XC70 and it's now my car. I love it. Although a station wagon isn't my favorite body style, it has plenty of room for friends. I drive my teammates on the rowing team (think six 200lb boys) to practice every day, and the Volvo putts along. Although, the 3rd row is not comfortably spacious enough for grown adults to sit in for longer than a quick drive. I like the comfort of knowing that it's incredibly safe. If you're thinking of buying one used, make sure that it's running well. The suspension is not as great now as it was when we bought it, but that's expected. As for it's lack of an auxiliary input to play music from an iPod, I've solved this problem by getting a tape cassette converter. The sound is great. Our XC70 is still running well, and when my sister turns 16 next year, it will be passed down to her. It's a great car for families, offroading, and even carrying cargo, that will last over a decade.

great fuel milage

by from michigan on February 17, 2007

Most Reliable Car I've Owned the best seats Ive ever sat on. Great fun yes fun driving in the snow.

Dr. White

by from Indiana on June 11, 2006

I'm very please with my 2002 XC70. I aquired the car in 2005 with 53000 miles and have been very pleased with the car. Its more versatile than any other station wagon on the market yet sporty enough that I don't feel I'm old. I would highly recommend -- especially one a few years old where someone else has taken the big depreciation hit.

LOve my car==

by from raleigh, nc on February 21, 2010

never had any trouble!! great on gas, great comfort, great acceleration in traffic! i punish this car daily and it always responds with a smile!

Traded in a CRV

by from Arizona on April 17, 2009

This sounds crazy, but I traded my 2007 Honda CRV for a 2003 Volvo Cross Country. I picked up the car from a Dodge dealer who was very anxious to have the car off his lot. I got a great clean, CC and traded well. Love the car so far and was actually tired of driving the last two CRVs I owned. Love the performance and looks of the CC and look forward the a long relationship.

2002 Volvo XC 70

by from McCook Lake, SD on August 27, 2009

The 2002 XC 70 is my 5th used Volvo. I have had tremendous luck with all 5. They are excellent cars. I acquired the XC in 2008. It had 57K miles at that time. The car was extremely clean and well cared for. It actually still smelled new and was in perfect condition. I paid top blue book dollar for it, but it was a bargain at 16K - original sticker was 32K. The original owner took the depreciation hit and I purchased it from her. It rides like a dream. Mileage is respectable for a 5 cylinder with a turbocharger. The stereo sounds great. The heater and air are excellent. The heated seats are wonderful for mid-western winters. The AWD takes me any place I choose to go. Huge cargo capacity with the rear seats folded forward. They are excellent vehicles.

Once you own a Volvo you won't want to drive anoth

by from North Brunswick NJ on January 18, 2011

Great carrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr I own it for a while now and only a few hings gone bad like some lights glass came off trak but nothing major.

Worse contact with a dealer ever

by from ct on September 13, 2013

We never heard back fromt he dealer. We were interested in the car-they never contacted us. Very disappointed!!!

Similar Models