2003 Acura Tl

excellent car!

by from Chicago on July 17, 2010

I bought my 2003 TL Type S used. It was 2 years old and had a bit over 50,000 miles on it....it now has over 150,000 miles and drives as smooth as when I first got the car. I've only had minor wear and tear isuues with car. Reading another review someone had the same CD player issue... the 6 disc changer sometimes gets stuck if you play copied CD's which I found out are slightly thicker than the original CD's and the player "locks" up due to the thickness difference between the normal CD and the copied ones. I had to pay $400 to find this out the hard way. Other than that my wife finds my car to be a smooth ride and more comfortable than her 2007 Scion which we bought brand new. Car handles really well in snow also with the traction control. Highly recommend Acura and will buy again.

Great Daily Driver Value

by from Kentucky on December 18, 2012

I found this 2003 TL on Cars.com. It's the last year of this generation, with just over 100,000 miles. That's less than half done, from my experience with Honda / Acura products. These cars seem over looked in the used car market, and therefore, are a great value. It is very comfortable, plenty of power, and good MPG for a 6 cylinder. For a similar price range and year, I also looked at Mazda 6, and Nissan Altima in four cylinder trim. I think I came out on top with this one.

My First Car

by from Toronto, Ontario, Canada on September 1, 2007

Well I'm an 18 yr old male student, and I purchased my 2003 Acura TL when I was 16 turning 17 with my own hard urned cash. I payed 22k with tax 2 years ago for my Acura TL which was loaded without Navigation. I do not own the type S, but I drive a lot of cars and for the price of the car, you are getting a pretty powerful car. This acura drives very well. The ride is smooth, the tiptronic features puts some joy into driving an automatic car, the blindspots are small, and well this is the best car I have ever driven, and I drive a good amount of luxury vehicles (BMWs, Mercedes, etc). This is also the only Japanese luxury behicle I have ever driven (but not been in). Anyway it's hard to describe how drivng a car feels like, but essentually this car is an ideal car for drivers if it had more hp and was rear wheel drive. Although the front wheel drive system is amazing in the winter. The engine is very satisfying to accelerate with especially with tiptronic, and the engine is responsive. The only negative part about driving this car, are the wide turn radius. As for maintenance, my Acura had 121,000km, and it's first repair was at 120,000 when a transmition temperature sensor malfunctioned, and my hood latch rusted over. I went to the Acura dealership to fix this problems (because my mechanic, nor I can fix a faulty sensor) anit cost me 1k canadian with tax to fix both problems. The 6-CD changer is really cool especially since I don't have to open my glove compartment or my trunk to change CD's. It's all in the deck. I always considered my car compared to other luxury sedans as a practical luxury sedan. Why? Well it's not as pretty (or expensive) as a BMW, or Mercedes inside, but it's more comfortable. There is a lot of space for both the driver and all of the passengers, every feature is within reach, and comfortable placed, and well it really is a nice car to drive, and it doesn't have little features that your not going to use. However one drawback of the car is that the backseat might take a while before the air conditioning works well. Then again my back seat windows open all the way, something most cars don't so. The surrond sound system is also really nice, especially with the stock 8-inch sub woofer and it can be controlled from the steering wheel. My friends call my car "Idiotproof".

Very nice and safe car

by from NJ on March 20, 2011

good car to have for long distance drives, can easily run for hours on the end...and cross country. Very safe on the road

Best performance sedan

by from Billings, MT on January 6, 2007

This is my main car and has gone 122,000 miles without a single issue or complaint. I have the type-s which is fast but fuel efficient. I love my car. The interior design is also very nice and well laid out, with the center console slightly angled to face the driver. The navigation system isn't as useful as you would think, it tends to be wrong frequently so if you are looking to purchased a used TL, I wouldn't bother with the navigation if you can get one without.

My 2nd TL

by from Memphis, Tn on February 6, 2013

I loved my TL so much, I bought another. Aside from the tranny issues last time, I loved my TL. Fingers crossed.

Best all around.

by from Allentown, PA on July 2, 2012

The best car I have ever owned. Over the years I have owned 17 new cars and 12 used. Taking into consideration other Automobiles in this class nothing continues to preform like the Acura. My neighbor purchased a BMW at around the same time and the repair cost became very high. He now ownes an Acura and. Is very happy. In 2013 I plan on giving TL to my grandson and buying another Acura.

Great car

by from Toronto, Ont on April 28, 2016

This car is a very nice car to own. Apart from the famous issue (tranny) i own two 2003 aspec one black and one blue. If you want to keep the tranny from failing you need to service the tranny i.e. change the tranny oil every 50000 clicks. It is very fast and the interior just never gets old. Only two things i would have changed if i could, i would add the AWD and Navigation with back up cam. still have my with 200500 km and its still going!!

Pretty Good

by from CT on March 20, 2008

Well known transmission issues plague this car - mine is on it's 3rd already. Had some problems with emission control on this car also. Overall however it is powerful (I have the TL-S) , with everything functioning properly on this car . It looks good still inside and out. I hear the newer 2007's have this car's transmission problems corrected.

Great car for the money

by from Asheville NC on January 24, 2012

Lots of features for the money. Fast/Comfortable/great gas mileage for a 3500 pound car that fun to drive.

Similar Models