2002 A4

3.9 out of 5 starsValue for the Money
3.6 out of 5 starsReliability

My First Car

by happy kid from Miami, FL on June 22, 2013

My mom bought me this car as my first. It is amazing as far as i can say. It's dependable and makes everything so comfortable to do. it's a fun ride to school and to work. i love this car

Best Car for the money!

by AudiLover from Fargo ND on April 30, 2010

I work at a dealership and drive every car out there on a daily basis. Well when I drive an Audi my heart skips a beat! This Audi A4 3.0L Quattro sedan is the most entertaining vehicle I have ever owned! Each day after driving tons of new vehicles I get excited to drive home in my Audi. Definately would purchase this vehicle again and again... I will be buying a newer Audi in the next few years!

A great drive

by Drive Happy from Louisville, KY on March 6, 2012

The car is very solid for its age. Fun to drive and a little different than the majority of others in its class.

German Perfection

by kcid from Lewisberry, PA on May 1, 2010

There's not a whole lot more to say, try one and you'll be hooked. If you want a economical running car, get the 1.8 4 cyl turbo and do great mileage to your expensive gallon and still you can feel yourself in a "sports car" with the option to, next to the automatic gearbox, shift by hand and drive like a pilot in a F-1 car. (tip tronic) if on top of that you get the AWD you're in car-heaven! I feel the American Car-makers can learn a lot from the Germans. Auf Wiedersehn!

A4 Q 1.8t

by TO Tanker from Thousand Oaks, CA on April 26, 2009

Got this one brand new in 2002, and have never looked back. Other than the few minor electrical glitches that seem to forever haunt all Audi's, this one was one for the record books. A very safe vehicle, it also wants to be driven. It hugs the driver in all the right places, and when needed, the engine and powertrain respond in a flash. I am very happy to say that I love this car.

Best car ever

by Blue Dream from Denver, CO on March 30, 2014

I love my 5 speed A4 Wagon. I am coming up on 200k miles and have never had one thing go wrong with it. I do keep great care of the car with regular maintenance, but other than that not one problem, This has been the most solid mountain wagon ever. I have friends with BMW and Mercedes, which have both cost them an arm and a leg in constant repairs. Meanwhile my blue champ just keeps ripping me up to the slope without incident.

Uses car for Outdoor sports (hiking, cycling, etc.)

Great Car!

by Simp from PA on August 15, 2008

Bought this car used and love it. No problems,nice handling, good features, and nice styling. Only a few minor scratches on it when i bought it but nothing that big of a deal. If you want a sporty audi get an a4.

Most exciting and reliable car ive ever owned

by Chris from Poughkeepsie,ny on August 26, 2012

This car is alot of fun. I love waking up to go to work. Sometimes i take the longer way just so i have a little extra drivin time. Hhahahaha

BostonAudi

by BostonAudi from boston, ma on October 9, 2006

complete love hate relationship with this car....love it when I am driving it, but hate it when it is continually in shop for electrical issues!

Does not recommend this car!!

Has served me well BUT

by A4inVA from Arlington, VA on June 15, 2010

I bought my '02 A4 3.0 6-speed (with sport package) lightly used in '02 as Audi-Certified from a dealer. At the time, Certified meant that Audi extended basically ALL maintenance (other than tires, but covering things like washer blades, fluid changes, and anything else which went wrong) for like 5 yrs past originally warranty. This was key, as in the first 4-5 years I had a huge amount of things go wrong on this car, not limited to: -ignition coils -cat converters (twice?) -horn (twice) -HID headlamp -numerous failures of turn-signal bulbs -driver-seat bolster -radio display -badly chipped paint/surface on window switches I wasn't racking up a ton of miles or abusing the car, so...really, these are not the kinds of repairs which should occur on a car in its first few years of life, are they? Granted I didn't pay a dime because of the Certified status, but it was a lot of hassle and wasted time I'd rather not go through again. I'm convinced some of the issues were caused by my dealer's mechanics, others caused by inferior parts suppliers Audi chose to use. And others were perhaps due to jitters of being the first year of a completely new model. Once the car came out of warranty, it's been relatively trouble-free, though the ignition coil issue has haunted me every few years. Audis and VWs of the 90s wer known for this issue, and various TSBs have been issued, I've even gotten a check from AoA which covered part of the cost of my last post-warranty repair. At 7 years I had front control arms replaced - complex suspension means $2,500+ repair if dealer does it. I'm at around 75K miles and 8.5 years now, have had brakes done twice, and apparently need a belt tensioning thing done that'll cost a lot. I plan to move on from this ride soon. Sure, I'll look at Audi again. Provided I get all-inclusive warranty service! As for the positives - I still enjoy the handling of this car, though it could use a little more power (and I mean more than the 5hp I gained by having the ECU flashed). Still, it's got enough oomph to keep up with most any traffic you'll find. This isn't an M3: look elsewhere if you face a lot of stop-light battles. But once it gets going, the V6 is a pretty sweet engine which, combined with the taught suspension and excellent interior feel and HVAC & audio systems, makes for a perfect highway ride and a fun carver in the twisties. As for longevity of fit & finish - Audi's paintjob was top-notch, other than the dings and chips that I've accumulated over the years, no complaints. Inside, it's still looking great and the features all work well. Trouble spots on any Audi from this era include faded displays on radio/onboard-computer, paint flaking from the matte black switches and buttons, and accumulated grime that's hard to get off some of the nonleather, light-colored rubber or plastic bits. My sunroof, like many, has also been acting funny and sometimes not obeying commands of its multifunction dial. Thankfully, it doesn't open on its own (yet)! Also, Audi sourced poorly a plastic "carrier" bit in the window regulator, which can result in a window inching down by itself and unable to wind up. The quick fix can be a 4-cent cotter pin and a few hours messing around in your garage, or it can be a $600 new window regulator installation from your local dealer... I'd conditionally recommend this car to buyers who want sporting luxury, with the caveat that they need to have a good local mechanic, if not some DIY skills of their own, because things WILL break on you. That timing belt change at 100K or so is gonna cost ya!

1 2 3