2012 A7

2012 Audi A7

2012 Audi A7

Have You Driven the 2012 Audi A7?

Expectations exceeded.

by High Country Matt from Colorado on Sun Jun 12 2011

The styling of the new Audi A7 really catches the eye, and the interior and dash layouts are gorgeous, but the real beauty of the car is in how well it performs on the road. The engine is strong, responding eagerly and smoothly with a rush of power from 310 horses. No turbo lag, or "kick-in" ever, because this baby breathes though a supercharger. It is quiet going about its business with no thrashing. With Quattro in charge of the wheels, the car remained stable, flat, and assured when pushed through the tight curves on Lookout Mountain. Everything about this car is the way it is supposed to be; it drives naturally and intuitively. The driver has every confidence that it can handle whatever the road may bring. The interior layout is all function and beauty. I especially like the fold-away 7 inch, color, MMI screen because it can be stowed, and doesn't dominate the dash nor distract when driving, but is there at the touch of a button when needed. The Audi Tiptronic transmission is a joy with 8 speeds to choose from, and A7 transmission stalk is as before, familiar, no guessing. I'd prefer that the dash display the gear when in automatic mode; it only does so in manual mode. Also, I'd prefer the temperature and tank gauges use a needle rather than the 8 progressive lights on each, but these are pretty small items. Both are well integrated and allow for larger tach and speedo, which keeps the gauge module clean in design. I found the driver's seat and position superb, and the overlook of the dash and road perfect for spirited driving. Audi is known for interior design beauty, and this one enhances their reputation. The view from the back seat forward is good by any standard, not unduly restricted by the front seats. With the fast-back body styling, a bump-up in the roof liner in back helps with headroom. The car is strikingly beautiful from any angle: front, back, side, or any 3/4 view. It is clean and smooth without unnecessary and fussy body creases. I especially like the rear treatment with the sharp crisp uptick and angled taillight. Whatever you call it, a coupe, sedan, or sportback, the A7 is a driver's car, and sport and spirit have purposely been built into the entire experience. After the first 45 minute test drive I said, "met every expectation" and after the second I said, "my car." The factory is currently building one to my specs.

Perfect Size

by ASevenFan from Cayuga Heights, NY on Sun Jan 22 2012

My partner purchased the new 2012 A7 as soon as the first one arrived at the local dealership. Color was not even a factor for him. He just had to have that exact car. I think he was drawn to it because of the spectacular Ooling Black exterior and rich saddle brown and black tu-tone interior. Sweet combination! I am the car buff in the household and the decision to trade in his five-year-old A8L (LWB model) was mutual. The only reason for the trade had to do with the many miles put on the bigger A8L. The new A8, A8L and S8 are actually too large for our tastes, but we would recommend the A8 (especially the LWB version) to anyone looking for massive interior space, especially for 2-3 lucky back seat passengers. We did check out the A8 and A8L but knew right away that the A7 was the car of our dreams. Photos do not do the A7 justice. You must see it in person. The A6 was not even an option for us. The A7 is quite unique and an attention getter. Everyone compliments us on its looks and roar of the engine. The A7 is the perfect size -- slotted between the all new Audi A6 and the recently introduced new version of the Audi A8, A8L and S8. The A7 may even have a bit less interior room than the A6, but the A7 looks longer and sleeker. We did not see the specs of the A6 so be certain to look into this if interior volume is a factor. The A7 handles like a "sports coupe" without any loss of comfort. The ride is smooth and not unlike our A8L. The interior of the A7 is a combination of sporty and ultra luxurious. The seats are perfectly sculpted. There is a generous amount of fine grade leather and real wood galore. There is some compromise in head room due to the shape of the car and "must have" sun/moonroof. The trunk is a bit snug, but just right for two people and their luggage. I love the hatchback design. Audi did an outstanding job designing it without making it look like a hatch. The ONLY two downsides are minor: (1) The price of options add up quickly (2) There is no panorama sun/moonroof option Aside for these factors, the 2012 Audi A7 is PERFECT. If I had chosen the color, it would have been the bright and beautiful silver that is classic Audi, IMO. It does not show the dirt like my partner's black Audi and with AWD, it gets muddy quickly.

Best car ive ever owned

by JCMAUDI4494 from orlando,fl on Wed Jun 15 2011

This car is amazing and the technology is the most advanced I've ever used.The MMI is very intuitive and attentive.The styling totally beats the Mercedes cls i test drove before it and those LED daytime running lights always seem to hypnotize me and draw me into purchasing my Audi's. This car overall is the car that if you are considering, you should purchase and you'll never regret it. You'll get the best manufacturing and reliability you've ever had. Also audi is the best company with loyalty and they always seem to be happy when they see me entering the lot with my A7 ready for servicing and greet me with a smile.

best car

by Jason from Wesley hills,ny on Mon Jul 04 2011

Comfortable, zips, wonderful car. I look froward to driving long distances. Lots of room and has attitude. I thought I would miss the practicality of the A6 but I do not. This car is unique and I love every second behind the wheel. The navigation system is all that and I would get it again.

Best in Class

by Acura to Audi from Central NY on Mon Jul 15 2013

The A7 is the most complete car I have owned. Performance is breathtaking, style first class and trend setting, design fully integrated in form and function. I came out of Lexus and Acura, most recently the fully capable RL, and those cars seem fluffy compared to this German thoroughbred. While the Japanese are striving, this German has arrived. I feel safer at 90 mph in the A7 then I do at 60 in any other car. The basic premium model can be short on all the tech bells and whistles, but it has the features that count. Handling is poised and on rails, acceleration brisk and purposeful, thanks to the supercharger engaging from 0 rpm. Surprisingly spacious cabin for such coupe styling. Controls intuitive and ergonomic. This car turns heads, including my own every time I approach it. I know the s7 is available too, but 0-60 in 5-flat is good enough for my routes. We'll see how reliability goes, but I can put up with a glitch or two for the rewards of driving this elegant beast.

My dream car come true....almost

by Thatguy from Brooklyn, NY on Sun Nov 13 2016

Hands down one of the best looking cars on the market, unless you're talking exotic cars. Purchased a used Prestige 2012 Model with all the bells and whistles including the night vision and 20 inch wheels...all I can say sweet baby! The only downs to the car is the brake dust and the color which is a two tone black attracts so much dust in almost an instant after wiping. Make sure you keep a micorfiber cloth on you at all times. I hear a sealant repels some of the dust too. This car would be a 11 out of 10 if it had a panoramic sun/moon roof!

A quantum leap forward in all ways

by German Car Guy from Los Angeles on Wed Nov 09 2011

Yes it will take a few days to get up to speed on the systems and capabilities but once done it is a wonderful package. The bluetooth and Hot Spot link up to the web and give you all that could be wanted in information. The V-6 with turbocharger combines power plus economy somehow. Zero to Sixty in about 5 seconds is as fast as I need (even in L.A. traffic). The intergration of the hatchback into the design is probably what drew me to the car; it is clear that theyse folks have really done some serious thinking abouit design. Even the wood paneling on the doors and dash is subtle and well-done beyond what I have seen. The steering wheel controls are nicely laid out and it even has F-1 style paddle shifters to row through the 8 forward speeds. My Red color took a while to get from Germany but it was worth the wait (IMHO). The Bose sound system made a favorite CD sound better than I ever heard it. Heated and cooling seats seemed a bit much but they are really a nice feature. Fine looking package to boot. The road feel is not quite up to Porsche's telepathic level but is not bad for a 4-door. The overall flexibility of this package is probably its finest achievement!

Pretty cool car

by Bubba from Midwest on Wed Dec 21 2011

After owning it since the end of May, I can say it is what I was looking for when I first saw pictures of it in Autoweek a couple of years ago. Styling - out of this world in the front, hard to do much else in the rear. Performance - about 5 seconds 0-60. Mileage - the biggest surprise. Got 33 mpg on a long road trip. Cruises comfortably. Still turning heads afte 6 months. Not many around my hometown so people are still wondering what car it is. The only issues that I have had are small electronic issues with the MMI and the adaptive cruise control. Bubba

Audi A7

by Jb from on Sun May 28 2017

This is a great car. A few of the controls are in odd places but that's minor. Runs great, handles great

T4

by T4 from North Carolina on Tue Jan 03 2012

Have owned an A7 for three months. It is the best car I have driven/owned over many years...to include BMW, Lexus, Merc etc. It is a pleasure for all the senses. It is fast, stylish, and an excellent all round machine. Never thought I would enjoy a car this much...but I do. A great automobile!

1 2 3 4 5

Our Take on the 2012 Audi A7

There are luxury cars with better performance or roomier backseats, and there are luxury SUVs with more utility, but the swoopy Audi A7 is a sexy hatchback with performance and personality to match.

Based on the next-generation A6 sedan, the A7 is priced nearly identically to the BMW 535 Gran Turismo, a luxury hatchback that certainly doesn't win the matchup on looks.

While the hatchbacks' engines offer similar power, the two have distinctly different personalities on the road. They're different inside as well: The BMW is a more luxurious cruiser, while the A7 aims for sport-sedan status.

Looks
Audi made its R8 supercar a movie star, placing it center stage in the popular "Iron Man" film franchise. That... Read More