2006 X5

4.5 out of 5 starsValue for the Money
4.5 out of 5 starsReliability

X5, now thats safety and performance

by Bimmer4ME from Suncoast, Florida on October 1, 2013

The vehicle always has you in control, sure foooted in all conditions. Makes you a better driver...Stable, powerful, easy on for interstate driving. Holds 5 confortably with all our stuff. May be the best BMW I've owned (3's and 7's) for overall power and comfort. Mileage is 20 overall and premium but the trade off is more than worth it... PS. Transition year-Don't buy the 2007

Love this Vehicle

by H-Town Driver from Texas on November 16, 2007

Have owned Toyota Land Cruisers for last 10 years - but was ready to try something a bit smaller and more fuel efficient. Wow- what a great decision! I had forgotten how it feels to drive something that not only looks good, but is such a kick on the road!

Best car ive owned

by dapperB on August 15, 2017

I was so upset when my x5 was totaled. hands down the best car ive ever owned. I will be getting another one very soon ..maybe the same model or Ill try a new model

Best car I have owned

by BMWenthusiast from Washington DC on November 4, 2017

I looked at a lot of SUV's and wasn't happy until I sat in this one. It feels like a substantial luxury vehicle. It drives beautifully and can haul a lot of things and people. I love the heated seats and steering wheel. They make all the difference in the winter! I love the sun roof especially because you can open it without exposing the interior to the sun so that when you park it the heat can escape.

Fun to Drive

by drivingbmws from on April 30, 2017

Dependable, does everything you need it to. This car is spacious and offers lots of great amenities and power!

never had a problem

by allenking47 from lousville, ky on May 27, 2017

this car is the best car i have owned has plenty of power. I love it the only thing I don't is it rides a little to stiff. But besides that its really good also I did a little off road and it amassed me with its performance, By the way its a 3..0

Best all-around vehicle I've ever driven

by WayneInPA from Lehigh Valley, PA on January 5, 2011

I'm partial to BMWs mostly for the focus on the driver, road feel and interior design. With that said, I've had a few cars but the 2006 X5 3.0 (non-sport) was my first SUV. I bought it pre-owned from a BMW dealership with no warranty and with 85K miles. It was a 1 owner and had been in a minor fender bender which was repaired by the dealer. I'm a DIY-er and am somewhat obsessive about maintenance with my vehicles. Upon taking ownership of the car, I spent about $1000 in maintenance. From spark plugs to filters and a complete drain and fill of all fluids (engine oil, transmission oil, F+R differentials, transfer case, power steering, brake & coolant). I also put new tires on, General Altimax HP. This was 2 years almost to the day and 35K miles ago. Other than regular oil changes, I've never touched the vehicle. It's been 100% reliable in every aspect. It has never left me stranded and the AWD system is superb in snow. I recently drove 65 miles through a blizzard in New Jersey on I78 with tires at approximately 4/12 and never once did I slip going forward. I have a wife and two toddlers and we have space in the back for a double stroller and groceries on the weekend or the stroller and overnight bags when staying at grandma's. When no one else is in the car is when I get to appreciate the handling and road manners BMW has built into this vehicle. It drives like my 2000 5-series. Ride is very comfortable (with the 17" tires) and handling is superb for an SUV and the weight of the vehicle. Gas mileage is around 21.0 if I baby the accelerator. 17.5 if I'm aggressive. I do about 60% highway and 40% city/suburb driving. It's really the best in all aspects.

An Ultimate Driving Machine

by Kuruma from Texas on June 2, 2010

This car is just what you would expect from a BMW, attractive outside, uniformly functional and high quality inside, and excellent engine and handling. The car is built like a rock, safe and high quality, yet (as with all European cars) electrical problems are common and rather annoying. Already I have had to replace power mirrors, and the stock stereo. I also have problems with the locks and ignition occasionally. Another issue? Gas milage. I get a shocking average of 12MPG. Despite all the flaws, this car makes up for it in its drive, comfort, and style.

awesome ride

by Love the X5 from ft worth, tx on September 7, 2011

I bought the 2006 X5 with the 4.4I package. It is fantastic. I get around 25-27 mpg highway and city. I can fit my two carseats and a kid inbetween. The back even holds the double stroller with room for other stuff, too.

excellent experience

by seattle and midwest driver from greater detroit area, mi on September 19, 2012

I bought my 2006 X5 3.0i in 2008, when it was 2 years old and have had an excellent experience owning and driving this SUV. I owned a 2001 Lexus GS300 before buying my X5. Pros - excellent overall experience owning and driving - very reliable - nice, quiet and smooth ride - excellent winter driving - excellent interior options and design - beautiful inside and out - panoramic roof is awesome Cons - mpg could be better - brakes leave black dust on rims (annoying) - 3.0 engine could be peppier, but its still good And yes, I highly recommend owning this car.

1 2 3