2005 Chevrolet Avalanche

Awesome Truck!

by from on December 1, 2009

Bought my 2005 in 2009 It's the best truck I've ever had hands down. It's loaded with great features. Can't wait for the snow!

Great vehicle

by from Burlington NC on October 28, 2010

The Avalanche has been great! It has the comfort of a suv with the versatility of a truck. Wish I had purchase one sooner.

2005 Avalanche

by from Sherwood, Or on March 30, 2014

I purchased this vehicle in 2005 and traded in my 2001 Chevy Silverado king cab for this larger, more comfortable truck as my children grew into their teenage years. I use the vehicle for long trips, hauling, and the occasional run around town and I can honestly say it is as comfortable as my wife's Mercedes (ride, low road noise, seat comfort) and it has absolutely never left me and my family stranded on the long trips. I have only ever had one issue with the vehicle and had to replace a chip that made my display panel show an error. Once the chip was changed I've never seen the issue again (around 75,000 miles). I now have 105,000 miles on the truck and it remains as comfortable, quite and reliable and shows no signs of breaking down or giving me trouble of any kind. I have done all recommended service but all vehicles require that! In my opinion Chevy/ GM did an outstanding job on this vehicle.

Hard Plastic

by from South Hero, VT on August 18, 2014

I have a 2005 Chevy Avalanche LT 2500, love the truck it has the hard plastic all around. After awhile the plastic fades to a grayish color. I used a heat gun (4 hours) and it turned the light gray/gray to the factor black. No damage and it doesn't loose the texture.

Very happy so far

by from Grand Haven, MI on July 17, 2014

I recently purchased a 2005 Avalanche from Preferred in Grand Haven. This is our second vehicle we've purchased from Campbell Stephenson. He's an honest, standup salesman and I would highly recommend him. Thanks Campbell! The truck doesn't have the large grey plastic on the sides. It's a great looking truck and drives beautiful. The interior is great and the instruments are easy to follow. It has great room in the back seats as well. I'm very pleased so far!

Best truck ever

by from Long beach ca on May 18, 2012

Loved my truck did everything I asked and more. I put 194,000 miles on my truck before it died and I'm buying another one.

FANTASTIC VEHICLE

by from Cape Girardeau on December 13, 2010

We have so much fun with this truck. Everything about it it wonderful. It has tons of power to spare.

Ate transmission with only 67k

by from Triad, NC on January 10, 2012

Great truck at first, but at a high cost to maintain and of course drive but i expected a lot more for the high gas and maintainance cost.....the brakes are choppy and it ate a transmission with no warning with only 67000 miles on the odometer. Can anyone say JUNK

Chevrolet Avalanch Review (2005)

by from Texas on November 8, 2010

This is a direct and right to the point review of a 2005 Chevrolet Avalanch. (Engine&Transmission) The 5.3L V8 was GM's flagship V8 from the years 1998 to 2007. My personal experience with this particular engine when coupled to a heavy vehicle like the Avalanch is that it does not produce enough power. In this particular year model it produced 295horsepower and 330lb/ft of torque. The torque is on the low side for a fullsize truck made during this time, however horsepower is about avarage. I found the 5.3L is only adaquate in the Avalanch, Launched from a dead stop its lower torque make's the truck feel underpowered unti'll it gets above 3,000RPMS. My personal 0-60mph in this truck took 10.2 seconds. Not to bad, But not fast either. The 4-speed auto, Though dated by todays standerds was a smooth shifter and really a compatent transmission. Had it not been for the underpowered 5.3L V8 this truck would have been more fun to drive. Avarage fuel econmy was 14city 20highway (Ride/Comfort) The most impressive part of this truck is its ride. Its buttery smooth, and very quite at highway speeds. The seats are comfortable as well. The ride is cloud like. Easily one of the best riding full-size pickups I've ever been in. There is plenty or room for avarage sized adults in the back-seats as well. (Interior) Another weak spot for this truck is the interior. The plastics used look and feel cheap. They are thin and flexible, as well as rock hard to the touch. The Dashboard lay-out is very similer to that of a late 1980's early 1990's era Chevy/GMC pickup. Dated in design to say the least. Despite their comfort the seat cloth is a little thin for my taste as well. (Brakes/Steering) In a very typical GM fashion the brakes on this truck are soft and squishy feeling. It feels similer to pressing your foot down on a thick wet sponge. However despite the slushy feeling of the brake pedel, I found the brakes themselve's to be overly senstive and often times jumpy. However they do manage to stop the heavy truck in a respectible distance. Steering is also a little light, but also quick. The Steering system provides good feedback to the driver as well. (Quality) There are a few drawbacks here, The hard dashboard, The gaps in plastic. Even the trim sometimes seemed to be falling off. This is one of the only vehicles I've ever seen were the door panal littrally tried to just fall off. However depsite all these little nit-picks, I experienced no mechcnical failurs with the truck. (Pros) Buttery Smooth Ride Comfortable People Mover Smooth Transmission Sweet Sounding V8 Engine (Cons) Lack of Power (Does not feel like 295hp) Cheap feeling and looking interior So So fuel econmy (Bottom Line) Comfortable, And well rounded. But could use some serious polishing before it become's worth the price of admission.

JACK OF ALL!!!!!!!!!

by from marthas vinyard, ma on November 15, 2008

my truck is a 2005 avalanche 4x4 naked, black, bought used in 1/08 with 12,000mls on odo, truck is great for fishing on the beach, interstate travel, and trips to homedepot for anything from doors to drywall, 4x8 sheets! dry!, we get 16 mpg on island, and 20 on the hyway with cruse set at 65mph. truck is great off road an on the beach. no problems and oh yea,onstar is the best, never get lost an monthly emails telling us about all the trucks systems.will buy another when this one has reached our limit.