2009 Aveo

3.7 out of 5 starsInterior Design
3.9 out of 5 starsValue for the Money
3.8 out of 5 starsReliability

All Reviews

Good car, depending on your expectations

by BarkyDog from on January 10, 2010

I compared the Aveo5 to the Yaris, which is almost identical in many ways. I?m a Toyota enthusiast (we also own a Toyota), but I found the Yaris? interior to be absolutely absurd, (with the speedometer in the center of the dash and virtually no gauges), so weird that I didn?t like it. The Aveo seemed far more comfortable and easier to drive. The Aveo feels like a bigger car than it is. The body carriage sits very high off the ground: ground clearance is about 8?, which is much more than the Honda Fit and the others that ride much lower to the pavement. I bought the Aveo for my wife for her local commuting to work without her having seen it or driven it beforehand. She LOVES the car! It?s cute and it?s fun to drive. DIY routine maintenance (oil changes, etc.) appears to be easy. The stainless steel exhaust is much preferred for longevity. Logical, easy to read controls and dash layout, with analog gauges. Easy to get in and out of. Seats feel solid, supportive, and are very adjustable. Seating is high up and visibility is excellent. The ride is firm, but not hard, unless you are on washboard pavement. Exterior fit and finish are excellent ? unexpectedly so for an inexpensive car. There is VERY little glove box and interior storage space. There is no center console storage bin. The rear hatch has no remote release. I find it annoying to have to lock and unlock the hatch with a key from the outside. City gas mileage is disappointing to many Aveo owners. For a car this small, everyone expects it to get better mpg in city use. We?re getting about 24 MPG in all suburban driving. There appears to be more negative bias toward this car than deserved. Test drive one and compare it to the Yaris, Fit, Rio, etc. for yourself. You may not need or want certain features others may offer. This was the right car for us, considering what we expect from it. In buying it as a leftover 2009 model we got it for less than the dealer invoice price, plus there was an additional total cash incentive of $2000 ? and the total price was too good to pass up.This was the right car for us, considering what we expect from it. In buying it as a leftover 2009 model we got it for less than the dealer invoice price, plus there was an additional total cash incentive of $2000 ? and the total price was too good to pass up.

Little car that feels big

by JC62Mechanic from West Bend, Wi on May 12, 2013

I love my Aveo. As a retired mechanic, I am enjoying my Aveo. Good car with lots of room and great gas mileage in the manual transmission. Not big on fancy, but definitely big on interior space. Can really pack it up and go.

Great car for little money

by Bargain shopper from Appleton, wi on August 26, 2010

Great Car but I hate that it doesnt come with electric locks or windows. Comfortable to drive. Great gas mileage.

Great little car

by Fan from on March 24, 2017

My dad bought this 2009 Aveo in dark grey metallic brand new from the GM dealership for a bout 8,500USD. It has been 8 years now and the car still runs great! The exterior design is wonderful and the interior is not so bad either. It plastic, but you'd expect that form a cheap car. Yeah, the clock has been broken already two times, but he got it fixed under warranty and besides that there has not been a single issue with the car so far. This Aveo t is a great little car if you commute short distances to work everyday and need something that will do the job. It's also fine on the occasional long distance family road trip, but the trunk is quite small. It's not fast and will has quite a bit of body-roll, but with some wider and lower profile tires it handles a lot better. WE just put some Michelin's a couple of months back and it rides great!

Do NOT Buy Chevrolet

by Student from Blackburn, Lancashire on August 7, 2016

Since I bought the car, I had nothing but trouble! Never in my life have I had a car that has spent more time in the garrage than on the road! I cant speak for everyone, but from people I know who has any kind of dealings with Chevrolet, had nothing but trouble!

Does not recommend this car!!

First Car and Loving It!

by Aveo5Lover from St Peter, MN on April 23, 2012

I just bought a 2009 teal Chevy Aveo5 in March as my very first car. It had just over 60,000 miles on it and was in great condition. I test drove many cars in my price range and kept coming back to the Aveos. Finally, I decided those were the car for me. The only problem was they were so hard to find for sale! Each time I would find one and call, it had been sold just a day or even hours before! So I set up an alert system for when a new one was listed and one day my dream car popped up and I pounced on it. All of the effort, and the loan, was completely worth it. I drive home from school about once a month which is 70 miles and drive it around in the town I go to school and have only had to fill it up twice in these past 7 weeks. Great mileage, good safety, comfortable enough for the price, super cute! It accelerates quite well for a 4 cylinder, better the the Hyundai and Toyota cars I test drove. It does get a little loud if you punch the gas and doesn't accelerate as fast as my parents' Acura, but definitely does the job. Great breaks which is one of the reasons I picked this car because I am kind of paranoid about being able to stop in time even if I have plenty of room and this car stops very quickly since it is so small and light. I love my car and would recommend it to anyone who needs a nicer car for a college student budget as long as you don't plan on trying to race anyone in it.

Nice Car

by LH from Western Kansas on January 16, 2012

Recently purcased a 2009 Aveo LT 5 door. Really like the little car and it is a fun to drive car. I'm 5'11 and weigh 210 pounds and find the car surprisingly comfortable. The only complaints i have is it is the base model no cruise control or power locks and windows. I like the car so well that i'm planning on my next car being the new sonic.

2004 AVEO

by driver fun realist from pikeville, tn on March 13, 2010

I have read some of the negatives remarks about gas mileage. All i have to say on that is don't drive with a lead foot. I usually get 35 miles to the gallon and on the oppen road closer to 40 mpg. acceleration no problem drive every day long distance on interstate to and from work,. comfort ok, would have liked a real good cd player in it, can't have it all handles well looks sharp interior could use a little mor e fluff good value for money spent. very reliable only thing have to replace a lot is tires. looks small from outside , but when you get inside is surprising how much room you have. large trunk that opens into the back seat area. great for hauling extra stuff. really love this vehicle and hope to be driving it for the next 20 years.

Absolute dreck

by bandit96 from Alberta, Canada on April 29, 2015

The car itself I rather liked; the styling, size, feel, fuel economy. That out of the way, in spite of buying it new, babying it, and always getting it's maintenance needs done on time, this was the biggest piece of junk I've ever owned. I say again, biggest piece of junk I've ever owned. It was in and out of the shop a dozen times in my ownership, and the last year of owning it out (after the warranty ran out) cost me more money to keep running then the 80s Pontiac with 350,000 kms it replaced did over 9 years. If I were to add up the warranty repairs into the equation, repair cost in 6 years would have easily exceeded initial purchase price. All this in 70,000 kms. This is the last GM I will ever own. Parts replaced were: air conditioning, ignition system, almost every single seal on the engine and transmission, steering rack, and radiator. All in 70k kms.

Does not recommend this car!!

Aveo LS 5

by Dave from Florence, AL on August 12, 2010

Decent gas milage but not great (Avg 30 mpg-town; 33 mpg-highway). To get 34 or above mpg, you will have to go 60 mph or less. Good handling but not the greatest outter looking thing on the market. Reacts to handling very well. Stick shift type is very, very sluggish but what do you expect from a cheap car. Sits decent but for long trips, for sure buy the automatic with cruise control. Driving lights are very bright and work very good to see things way in front of you. Only has 2 cupholders in front under radio that prevents access to underneath storage when slid out. Only 1 cupholder in back that just makes one of the back seat passengers hold their cup. Tires rotate about twice as fast as most 16" rims, so about every 25,000 miles; look to replace the whole set and that ain't cheap cause they are special made tires with special expensive tires to match. Oil filter ain't cheap to replace either, cause it is special made and is not actually an oil filter at all. Rather, it is only a cartridge that fits inside the current outter oil cover. Environmental wack-o's at it again; thinking they are saving the planet but all they are doing is complicating things and making the buyer pay around $45 per oil change, when we could be paying only around $23 per oil change. All in all, I would rate this a decent care to good car for the money but for sure get the automatic.

1 2 3 4