2002 Chevrolet Camaro

Don't forget the V-6

by from Indianapolis on November 24, 2009

I recently traded a 1994 Z-28 on a 2002 V-6 with very low miles and the Y87 package, which includes tight turning and steering ratio, lowered final drive ratio (meaning higher numbers, but that is "lower" gearing for performance) and the limited slip differential - all excellent features to have. The car steers wonderfully precise, as expected, and brakes are strong and progressive. Power is very good for an older V-6, though any modern OHC V-6 these days is faster. I only expect respectable performance out of this car, not muscle car performance. Fourth-generation F body Camaros hold up extremely well, which is one of the reasons I stuck with this model. The standard 235-55-16 tires are disappointing in the "touring" version specified as original equipment. Only a few replacement choices are out there in this size. The dealer installed BF Goodrich 96T's as per specification, but the sidewalls are just too soft for a sporty car. Interior seating is very uncomfortable - you cannot push the seats back far enough, for some reason, and you cannot see well over the monster dashboard, which is not a good thing in a "sporty" car. The fabric upholstery looks more like the $29.95 aftermarket seat covers you can buy at Walmart. I mostly wanted this car because it's a bit of American history - if Harley-Davidson can sell "history," and Jaguar can sell "history," why not Chevrolet? The car was assembled in Canada, but almost all the major parts are in fact made-in-USA. Oh - the T-tops. I would not have bought this car without T-tops. Remove the sun shades and it's like being in an old fighter cockpit; take off the T-tops in good weather and it's almost as good as a convertible, but with no cowl shake. Much better and more airy than any retractable sunroof I've sat under. Iconic, as well.

Sweet

by from Noblesville, IN on December 5, 2011

Bought this on cars.com for my 15 year old son. I am glad he is not driving on his own yet, because I love it!! It has such a great rumble, spacious comfy seats, nice bucket seats in back.. actually pretty big car. LOVE IT!

Value and Reliability in a Camaro

by from St. Louis on December 20, 2012

I just purchased a 2002 35th Anniversary Camaro Coupe. This is an awesome car. I got the automatic though I would have preferred a 6 speed manual but it is still a lot of fun to drive. The LS1 engine puts out 325 HP and is surprisingly quick. The SLP exhaust puts out a nice rumble not a roar. The front end styling is classic, especially with the limited edition graphics. The front interior is roomy, the back for kids only. There were only 3,369 Anniversary editions built and they are all Red, but hey, that's my favorite color.

Most Dependable Car I've Owned

by from Fresno, CA on January 23, 2009

I have had zero problems with my 2002 camaro. If you take care of this car, it will take care of you.

2002 Camaro Convertible

by from Eustis, Florida on July 16, 2011

I have personally owned 48 cars in my lifetime and the 2002 Camaro Convertible 3.8V6 is by far the most overall economical car I have ever had. After owning this vehicle for 8 years without any mechanical problems just routine maintenance I just sold it and miss it already.

a wonderful car

by from Greenville SC on November 10, 2008

I bought my Z28 new in 2002, have had it for about 7 years now. Car has not been to the shop except for brake service and a loose exhaust clamp. Last long trip the car got 28.66 mpg at 70 mph. T-tops are easy to manage, don't leak, don't rattle. I have them off about 8 months a year. Not a comfortable car, but the terrific fun factor tends to drown that out. I have the 6-speed Hurst manual, and enjoy it. Fast, reliable, nimble and affordable- I hope the next generation Camaro is as good over the long haul.

Camaro

by from Maryland on March 22, 2011

Great car! I love the 2002 Camaro, fun ride. This is my second Camaro and I still have my first--a 1977.

Gets LOTS of looks

by from Elk Grove, Ca on May 29, 2007

This car always gets attention when it arrives. It just looks FAST sitting still and rides great and is fun to drive. It's a little uncomfortable on long rides (over 3 hours) and a little short on trunk space, but for cruisin' around the town, it can't be beat.

Great car, Fun to drive.

by from ky on May 18, 2008

I have owned several Camaros This is by far the best. Love the way it handles,and Looks. If your looking for a fun and sporty car, this would be the one for you.

Best Bang for the Buck Sporty Convertible

by from Michigan on April 7, 2013

I have owned several Camaros and have yet to find a lemon. The 1998-2002 LS1 engines are super reliable, fast and a lot of fun! Would recommend the V8 for adult (mature) drivers and the V6 for younger ones! Great car for the money! Convertible is even more fun in the sun.

Our Expert Review: 2002 Chevrolet Camaro