2003 Cavalier

4.7 out of 5 starsValue for the Money
4.5 out of 5 starsReliability

BEST CAR EVER

by Meggers from Outside Chicago, IL on September 23, 2010

This is my 3rd Cavalier ('00 Convert Z24) & I absolutly love them. I've had every one of them run to 125,000+ while I owned it & never had a serious, out-of-the-normal issue with any of them. Super dependable, easy & cheap fixes, drives great in the snow, good gas milage - you take care of it, & it will take care of you. I would highly recommend this car to anyone... even passed down my first 2 to my little sisters.

The PERFECT First Car

by College students 93 from Philadelphia, PA on June 12, 2012

Despite several warnings from family about the quality of American cars and the fact that I should look into Japaniese, I fell in love with the looks of my 2003 Cavalier LS and had to get it when I saw it sitting in that auction. Having owned the car for almost 3 years I can easily say that it has been the perfect decision that I could've made. I'll make the review simple : 1) Outside appearance : the car is beautiful , with the avaliable chrome wheels, fog lights and sun roof the car looks great and maneges to keep it looks despite being about 10 years old. 2) Interior: it is not BMW , the plastic doesn't really fit everywhere, some shaky parts causing minimum noise and the seats require a nice seat cover to make them look good. Otherwise the steering wheel and transmission handle are well made and feel good to the hand. 3) Performance : HOLY MOTHER OF TORQUE , this car has a crazy push from 0-60 , great low rpm torque and perfect handling for the 140hp you get. Will outrun any honda civic or scion tc out there and do it while giving you some amazing 25mpg city and up to 32(best I got)mpg on the highway. 4) Reliability: You won't need any major repairs besides parts that you would need to replace just like any other car ( fuel pump every 60kmiles, bearings every 50-70k miles) nothing out of the ordinary besides the windows regulators, which are a pain !. Never left me hanging in the street. Keep the oil changes on schedule and you'll be fine. Overall incredible car, will be sad to let it go one day.

Some glitches

by Chevy 4 life from Maryland on February 3, 2009

I have been very happy with this car since I bought it new. It's a Limited Sports edition and is very sporty looking. I have 2 complaints though. The driver's side power window motor stopped working about 2 months ago. Not bad, you think, but 3 years ago I had that same motor replaced under warranty. Now that the warranty has run it's course, and I replace it once more, it means that a 6 year old car will have had 3 window motors in it since it left the assembly line.

Reliable but cheap

by NaeNae from Chicago on August 12, 2011

I've never been a big fan of cavaliers only getting mine because I was desperate and wanted a car but the one I have is very reliable. 130,040 miles and the only problem ive had with it were minor an inexpensive to fix. I personally want to trade mine in for a different vehicle but that doesnt mean it's not a good car. Its just not for me. The manual windows become annoying after a while, the sound system is horrible, the rear gets really really hot even when the AC is on and mine went out so its literally unbearable. It takes forever to take off and even when it does, its still very slow. I could be going 60mph and feel like im doing 40. But if youre just looking for a small car thats reliable to get from point a to b, this is for u. Im a car enthusiast and am looking for something with the same reliability as the cav but more my type as far as style and performance.

Solid and Reliable Car

by College Student from on October 22, 2012

Sure this car is a little slow off of the starting line due to the immense weight and relatively small engine, but I have 127,000 miles on it and nothing on it has yet to break or need to be replaced other than your standard brakes and tires. It has even survived a head on deer strike and being rear-ended by a semi at 10mph, and still rides smooth and runs perfectly fine. My only complaints are that the clear coat tends to chip off and the oil filter is hard to change. Definitely worth a look if you want a car that will always start and won't break down.

Great Car

by Chicago Joe from Chicago, IL on November 21, 2012

I have a 2003 Cavalier and it has been a great vehicle. Never had any issues with it. The LS Sport looks great with fog lamps, chrome wheels, and four doors. I love my Cavy!

Great car for a great price

by Melaniem18 from Chicago, Il on September 28, 2017

Perfect for a first time driver or simply for going from point A to B. Has had nearly every part replaced.

Great Car

by Bridget from on August 3, 2015

I bought on of these brand new. It suits me fine. I still get 33 mile as gallon after 12 years. The car doesn't have the best ride...but the only work I have had done is a new gas pump put in a 7 years into ownership. I keep up on all the routine checks and it runs as well as it did they day I bought it. The gas mileage is the best part of ownership.

Very good car

by Steelmadness from Northern illinois on February 28, 2014

Bought brand new in 2003 and put 429000 miles on it before cold killed it.Was STILL getting over 30 miles to the gallon when the main seal gave out because of the cold.Not a fast car or nimble...but very steady and reliable.2.2 eco-tech engine was one of the best engines Chevrolet made as far as reliability.Should have bought 2 of them and put one in storage.

Reliable car.

by Dan G. Chevy fan from Los Angeles, CA on November 14, 2017

Good legroom front and back. Economical vehicle for everyday use. Good passing power. Average headroom.

1 2 3 4