2008 HHR

4.4 out of 5 starsReliability

All Reviews

HHR SS

by ChrisDaFish from Chicago, IL on December 23, 2012

Purchased 08 HHR SS 5 speed. Love the gas mileage compared to my GTO that I got rid of. Motor is very strong 2.0T from cobalt SS and Sky/Solstice. Interior is pretty comfortable seat is a little high. Great storage cargo room car is very versatile. The interior is usual GM plastics but it does its job in this class. Its a decently reliable car if you like the styling and want good mpg in a fun versatile package, the HHR SS is a great option. Plus you don't see a lot of them which I enjoy.

Very nice vehicle. Great small crossover.

by nfmnh from New Hampshire on April 22, 2012

Traded in a 2000 Blazer for a 2008 HHR LS for better MPG. I have been very happy. The vehicle has nice pick up, feels solid with no rattles or sqeaks and I am getting a combined 27 mpg. The interior is mostly hard plastic but is practical, easy to clean and is not ugly. The vehicle holds a respectable amount in the back but get a cargo net to keep items from sliding around. The climate control system is very good with nice warm heat and very cold a/c. Chevrolet really hit a home run with this one. Too bad the model is discontinued.

HHR-LS -- great little wagon

by Wagon guy from Suburban Philadelphia on June 6, 2011

You either really like the look of the HHR or you really don't. It's kinda that simple. It's not a clone mobile; so if you don't like throwback look for something else. If you do like it and are looking for a comfortable, flexible small wagon with space the HHR is a good car. I'm tall (6'2'') and pretty big and have plenty of leg and head room for a small car; it's 3 or 4 inches higher than most. The front seats are big for a small car and the back seats are OK. The back seats fold down for a huge space for a little car. Performance and handling are just OK. If you're really a driver, you'll probably want to look elsewhere. But if you're looking for a reliable versastile HHR is not a little performer like say a Jetta, but if you're looking for a reliable, economical wagon its a good choice. I get an honest 31 mpg on the open road. I also recommend the LS package with the power driver's seat. The adjustments are much better. there are a couple different LS packages with slightly different features. I've owned two, and liked the look of the one with runnng boards much more.

Love my HHR!

by Bumblehead from Sherburne NY on September 27, 2010

I just purchased an HHR and have fallen in love with it. When I began looking for a new vehicle, I noticed that it seems as though every car out there looks exactly the same. The HHR has a retro style that I like (I think you either love the style of the car, or hate it. There is no in between). The engine isn't the type to set you back in your seat, but that has never been big on my list. I'm also not a big fan of all the plastic in the interior (A rug in the trunk would be a big improvement) I have a 66 mile round trip commute, so I'm digging the 30 miles to the gallon this vehicle gives me. I also have a large family, and this car allows me the opportunity to pick up my kids and still pick up groceries on the way home with no problem. I've also been enjoying the XM radio. I think this is going to have to be added permanently. All in all, I've throgoughly enjoyed this car and I really don't mind the daily commute, which hasn't always been the case. Definitely a thumbs up.

nice hhr

by shadow from DALLAS,TX on June 26, 2011

BOUGHT OUR HHR OF THE SHOWROOM FLOOR IN DALLAS COUNTY STILL LOOKS NEW IN 2006 LT PKG ALL BELLS @ WHISTLE, ORIG BATTERY STILL IN CAR HAD NO PROBLEMS NOW IF I COULD ONLY FIND MYSELF A SS MODEL JUST LIKE MINE IN EXCELLENT COND..

Fun & Sporty

by New SS owner from Kapolei, Hawaii on July 29, 2010

We needed a car small enough to fit in our enclosed garage. (We had a full size pickup that we had to bend the mirrors to get it in and out.) We also wanted a car with some zip and manuverability. We wanted space to fit things when we go shopping and we wanted a vehicle that was good on gas. After all the candidates we found the SS HHR. A 4 cylinder with turbo and a prety good suspension makes it handle well. Although this car does not ride like a Cadillac, it is fun and easy to drive. It is perfect for what we needed and the price was within our budget.

Good if you are under 6 Feet tall

by MAss. Car Driver from Barre, MA on October 3, 2009

I bought the 2008 Chevy HHR at the end of a sales push by Chevy with double rebates etc. in July 2008. I moved up from a 1998 Chevy Blazer. The difference in gas mileage is fantastic. I average 27-28 miles per gallon. The interior is quirky; position of power window switches and styling of door handles are two flaws which have been changed in the 2009 model. The seats are comfortable. The radio and OnStar are fine. My wife who is 5'1" misses a handle above the passenger door. The real issue is twofold: visibility and headroom. I am 6"3. With the design of the windshield and roof sloping slightly. I find myself ducking down a little bit to view the road ahead. The windshield pillar is wide and I am finding that I have to move my head forward when looking to turn to the left. There is not a lot of headroom, even with the sunroof. When you test drive one, drive in traffic and see how it feels. Make sure you feel comfortable and can see traffic coming from the left.

Great little car

by Funky Car from Oklahoma on September 1, 2012

It's such a great little car, I wonder why Chevrolet stopped building it! Love it. Mine gives me 32 mpg at 60mph.

pleasant surprise

by sdafins from sc on February 25, 2010

comfortable, economical, roomy, good sound system, a pleasure to drive. good exterior fit and finish, supple leather seats, comprehensive trip computer, even shows individual tire pressure, so no guessing when TPMS light might come on.

Great styling and fun to drive!

by TJ from Clovis CA on December 13, 2011

Had the vehicle 1 month until it was involved in an accident. During that time it was a fantastic vehicle and constantly getting 33mpg at freeway speeds which is a big plus! Looking for another one now to replace it.

1 2 3 4 5