2008 HHR

2008 Chevrolet HHR

2008 Chevrolet HHR

4.4

Have You Driven the 2008 Chevrolet HHR?

HHR SS

by ChrisDaFish from Chicago, IL on Sun Dec 23 2012

Purchased 08 HHR SS 5 speed. Love the gas mileage compared to my GTO that I got rid of. Motor is very strong 2.0T from cobalt SS and Sky/Solstice. Interior is pretty comfortable seat is a little high. Great storage cargo room car is very versatile. The interior is usual GM plastics but it does its job in this class. Its a decently reliable car if you like the styling and want good mpg in a fun versatile package, the HHR SS is a great option. Plus you don't see a lot of them which I enjoy.

Love my HHR!

by Bumblehead from Sherburne NY on Mon Sep 27 2010

I just purchased an HHR and have fallen in love with it. When I began looking for a new vehicle, I noticed that it seems as though every car out there looks exactly the same. The HHR has a retro style that I like (I think you either love the style of the car, or hate it. There is no in between). The engine isn't the type to set you back in your seat, but that has never been big on my list. I'm also not a big fan of all the plastic in the interior (A rug in the trunk would be a big improvement) I have a 66 mile round trip commute, so I'm digging the 30 miles to the gallon this vehicle gives me. I also have a large family, and this car allows me the opportunity to pick up my kids and still pick up groceries on the way home with no problem. I've also been enjoying the XM radio. I think this is going to have to be added permanently. All in all, I've throgoughly enjoyed this car and I really don't mind the daily commute, which hasn't always been the case. Definitely a thumbs up.

Good if you are under 6 Feet tall

by MAss. Car Driver from Barre, MA on Sat Oct 03 2009

I bought the 2008 Chevy HHR at the end of a sales push by Chevy with double rebates etc. in July 2008. I moved up from a 1998 Chevy Blazer. The difference in gas mileage is fantastic. I average 27-28 miles per gallon. The interior is quirky; position of power window switches and styling of door handles are two flaws which have been changed in the 2009 model. The seats are comfortable. The radio and OnStar are fine. My wife who is 5'1" misses a handle above the passenger door. The real issue is twofold: visibility and headroom. I am 6"3. With the design of the windshield and roof sloping slightly. I find myself ducking down a little bit to view the road ahead. The windshield pillar is wide and I am finding that I have to move my head forward when looking to turn to the left. There is not a lot of headroom, even with the sunroof. When you test drive one, drive in traffic and see how it feels. Make sure you feel comfortable and can see traffic coming from the left.

nice hhr

by shadow from DALLAS,TX on Sun Jun 26 2011

BOUGHT OUR HHR OF THE SHOWROOM FLOOR IN DALLAS COUNTY STILL LOOKS NEW IN 2006 LT PKG ALL BELLS @ WHISTLE, ORIG BATTERY STILL IN CAR HAD NO PROBLEMS NOW IF I COULD ONLY FIND MYSELF A SS MODEL JUST LIKE MINE IN EXCELLENT COND..

Great little car

by Funky Car from Oklahoma on Sat Sep 01 2012

It's such a great little car, I wonder why Chevrolet stopped building it! Love it. Mine gives me 32 mpg at 60mph.

Great styling and fun to drive!

by TJ from Clovis CA on Tue Dec 13 2011

Had the vehicle 1 month until it was involved in an accident. During that time it was a fantastic vehicle and constantly getting 33mpg at freeway speeds which is a big plus! Looking for another one now to replace it.

Fun & Sporty

by New SS owner from Kapolei, Hawaii on Thu Jul 29 2010

We needed a car small enough to fit in our enclosed garage. (We had a full size pickup that we had to bend the mirrors to get it in and out.) We also wanted a car with some zip and manuverability. We wanted space to fit things when we go shopping and we wanted a vehicle that was good on gas. After all the candidates we found the SS HHR. A 4 cylinder with turbo and a prety good suspension makes it handle well. Although this car does not ride like a Cadillac, it is fun and easy to drive. It is perfect for what we needed and the price was within our budget.

pleasant surprise

by sdafins from sc on Thu Feb 25 2010

comfortable, economical, roomy, good sound system, a pleasure to drive. good exterior fit and finish, supple leather seats, comprehensive trip computer, even shows individual tire pressure, so no guessing when TPMS light might come on.

Good vehicle, but...

by Dbear44 from Harrisburg, PA on Tue May 20 2008

Good reliable vehicle, great styling, comfortable ride. Only complaints would be the lack of a storage console between the seats. And the location of the window switches & the rear wiper switch. The window switches have been moved to the door panels on the 2009's and on the 2008 SS. Don't know if they moved the rear wiper switch. Other than that, very flexible vehicle, great cargo space in the back.

Sweet Little Hot Rod

by irloyal from Dallas Texas on Mon Apr 07 2008

The 2008 Chevrolet HHR SS is living up to the SS monicker. The SS package brings lots of benefits to the table in the form of performance, styling and comfort. Performance: A Hard Charger getting really great mileage! A stout engine, the same EcoTec that powers the Solstice is put in the HHR SS. Forged pistons and rods, steel crank, for a stout bottom end. An aluminum head with sodium filled valves on the top and you have a real stout platform for the 100K mile powertrain warranty. My only concern is the turbocharger, but that turbo makes lot's of go stepping on the gas! 230 to 260 HP (auto/man) and over 250 lb/ft of torque. Speaking of gas, I have real world mileage of 28 MPG on a 500 mile road trip starting with only 100 miles on the car. My 200 miles around town are averaging around 23 MPG and that includes putting a foot to it once in a while. SS also includes special springs, shocks and sway bars that actually make this a little corner-carver as well. While it is no 'Vette, it certainly handles as good or better than competitors including the Mazda Speed 3 and the Caliber SRT. Styling: Love it or hate it. I personally like the retro-theme style of the HHR, and the SS trim is especially sweet. A distinctive grille, aero-package and SS badging set this HHR apart from the others. 18" polished aluminum wheels and the Victory Red package make this one sharp car! The SS styling cues continue to the inside: Sharp SS embroidered seats and two-tone interior for the red and orange models. Comfort is Important: The SS seats have better bolsters and the driver's side is power adjustable. Plenty of seating room fore and aft make it comfortable for four. Add Onstar, XM radio, the optional amplifier, and the Hands-Free telephone and you are living in luxury. Cruise, radio and phone buttons all on the steering wheel, where they belong. What's missing? In my opinion, heated seats, and some wood trim options for the dash and the rear cargo area. Climate control is missing too. A back-up beep-beep system is needed. What's not to like? The vision is limited through the windshield. You'll have to sit back a ways to see the stoplights, and the standard Onstar mirror should be made smaller for this vehicle. At the end of the trip...... This is one sweet vehicle. Stylin, comfortable, and has the juice to move down the road at speeds beyond the legal limit.

1 2 3 4 5

Our Take on the 2008 Chevrolet HHR

The engineers and designers responsible for muscle cars like the Chevrolet Chevelle SS and Camaro SS must be shaking their heads, but that really is an SS badge on the side of Chevrolet's HHR compact wagon. It just goes to show that performance can come in all sorts of shapes — in this case with a turbocharged four-cylinder under the hood.

In today's environment of supercharged energy markets that have led to record gas prices, this new interpretation of Chevrolet's fabled Super Sport badge definitely has its advantages: The manual transmission HHR SS gets an EPA-estimated 21/29 mpg city/highway, which is comparable to regular HHRs with a manual. What's more, this version of the HHR is actually... Read More