2000 Impala

4.0

4 out of 5 stars Value for the Money
4 out of 5 stars Interior Design
4 out of 5 stars Reliability

Have You Driven the 2000 Chevrolet Impala?

Good looking but average family car

by Chevyguy from New York on Sun Jan 09 2011

As an owner of a 2000 Impala LS, the legendary 3.8 liter is a good engine. Too bad they quit making them. Its one of a few reasons to own an Impala. Typical lower/upper intake problems, but fixed at home over the weekend to save some money. The car looks sporty, but the ride is sort of hard for a large sedan and makes trips a bit tiring. The 4 speed auto trans. is probally the weak point here, considering the jerky shift into fourth gear and OD almost regularly. Rear visibility is not that good and makes tight parking lot maneuvers challenging. It has high miles on it now and it sounds like it. There is alot of creaking within the aluminum engine cradle that is easily heard inside the car, and noticeable squeaks are in the dash and overhead console. It gets good highway MPG, but its the little things that add up that make a certain car a one time purchase. This car will be just that. Chevy's car line seems to look all the same now, but just different sizes. If the new Impala is just a newer, bigger and more expensive Malibu clone, good luck selling them. Overall, its not a bad car by any means, but its not a great car either.

O yea, you want it.! Eh, No you don't!

by onoitsbroko from Indianapolis, IN on Sat Dec 19 2009

I've had my 2000 Impala since October of 07, so a little over 2 years now and I've had nothing but problems from the beginning. I paid 6,000 for the car and another 2,500 or so has went to repairs. In TWO YEARS!!!! I've replaced my head gasket. Had major oil leaks, replaced multiple sensors. My blinkers work whenever they want! My interior lights work maybe 75% of the time. The windshield wipers have a mind of there own. They'll turn off then turn back on (BY THEMSELVES!) This vehicle is just ridiculous and very strange at that. I rather have my 1995 Buick Century back. At least that car never left me stranded. This car is only 9 years old, but has left me stranded 4 different times! I'm done with this car!

Does not recommend this car!!

Great Car

by TAP from Georgia on Sat Jul 16 2011

This car was purchased over six years ago used for my wife and it is nearly bulletproof. I scared us by locking up the security system one time. Other than that it is fantastic. Good gas mileage and roomy!

Best car I've ever owned

by Old man hot rodder from South Central Missouri on Thu Dec 07 2006

My 2000 Impala was purchased in 2001 as a lease return vehichle, it has 110,000 miles on it and runs as good as the day I got it. I drive 65 miles a day to work each way. When I originally bought this car for my wife, I had a Camry. When the Camry got over 140,000 mile we switched because she works so close to home. I love this car. Handles great in the snow nice quiet ride and very comfortable. I'm 54 yrs old 6'2 240 lbs. when I decide to retire this car to city only driving, I will replace it with another Impala. Who needs foreign cars. I get about 31 mpg and I average 70 mph when going down the highway.

this car is a workhorse

by happy customer from on Thu Aug 29 2013

i bought my 2000 impala in 2003 with 50000 miles on it. for the first few years it was only short trips. the last 4 years i have been commuting 84 miles to work 5 days a week with no problems. now with 160000 and counting it runs like the day i bought it. Only work done to it is rear wheel bearings. I also have experienced the issue with the directionals working sporadically. Overall a solid car, will likely buy another when this one dies

Very nice

by Bob from Cincinnati on Tue Dec 07 2010

very excellent car. looks like its brand new and feels like its brand new. Great starter car for someone who needs a car to start off their life.

Best Car I've Owned

by Prfesser from St. Louis, MO on Mon Jul 20 2015

I bought this car new in September, 1999, and have been driving it for nearly 16 years. Outside of a few warranty-covered repairs early on (cooling system, battery & ignition switch) it has been a first-rate performer. I did have to have the hub bearings on one of the front wheels replaced recently. I am now retired (since 2010), so the amount of driving I do has decreased, but it still has over 100,000 miles on it. This car is the most reliable vehicle I've ever owned - only once has it failed to start (dead battery, caused by a very hot summer). It no longer gets much over 20 MPG, but that's mainly because most of my driving is urban. It is great for trips - very comfortable. Handling is very sure - I always feel confident that the car will respond quickly to brakes and steering. The air conditioning has not been touched since purchase, and it still keeps the car cold on the warmest days of summer. What can I say? I love this car!

best running car i have owned

by gary from south carolina on Thu Jun 21 2007

just awonderful car never had no mechanical problems purchased car with 129000 miles on it car now has 180000 miles on it with no problems

Makes Me Proud

by First car from South Shore Massachusetts on Mon Nov 11 2013

My first car, I bought my 2000 Chevy Impala LS at a local dealer at almost first sight. I got it with 142k miles to start and have put about 5k miles on it now. It's needed some repairs I needed to pay for such as a wheel bearing and sway bar. I can tell that the previous owner wasn't very enthusiastic but I've shown this car nothing but love. The 200 horsepower 3.8L V6 sounds amazing, and the torque really gives you a rush. The car reaches 0-60 in about 9 seconds. She handles especially well even being a full sized sedan. It is extremely spacious inside with more than enough room for me (Standing 6'0 tall). The backseats as well have enough room for my chair to be pushed back and a full sized adult behind me. The car has controls on the steering wheel for the radio, as well as a cruise control button. It also boasts a compass at the top, which can change into an instant MPG calculator or average MPG meter, as well as telling you how many gallons of gas you've used. The car has a helpful rear defogger as well as dual climate control. The trunk room is also massive, I did a test and fit 2 of my friends (both over 150lbs) into the back and they still had room to spare. The interior is a dull grey color and is simple but decent for being a middle of the line car. This car gets good mileage for its heavy weight. I average about 22 MPG with bigger 3.8L engine. With a good wash this car looks like the sharpest thing in the parking lot at my school, and all my friends really love it as well. For her size she's earned the nickname "The Chevy Landyacht" I really love this car and am glad I purchased it. She's my first car and I'm glad I made a good choice.

253k and still going strong!

by emz1lla from Mayville, WI on Tue May 15 2018

I bought my Impala as a beater for work, and I haven't been too disappointed! Bought it at 250k miles in February of this year and besides the fact my exhaust system is shot, she's a good car. Still shifts like it's almost new, and even after past owners neglecting proper maintenance on the car she still roars to life every time. The growl of the engine is the best part of this jalopy of a car. The exterior is your typical early 2000s sedan, nothing special really but not hard on the eyes either. Guy before me hit a deer going 55mph and all that got damaged was the bumper cover. Besides the obvious plastic bumper covers, this car can take a beating. If you bought one in better condition than I did, I would definitely recommend this car, especially to younger drivers like myself who need something reliable and affordable. Gas mileage is dang good for a full size sedan. Trunk space is insane! Always impressed with older Chevys!

1 2 3

Our Take on the 2000 Chevrolet Impala

Impala is one of the country's most valuable trademarks, so not just Chevy fans were dismayed and disheartened a few seasons back when General Motors "permanently" retired it, for the second time.

Who knows, it may have been just a marketing scam like the one that brought us "Classic Coke," but what counts is, the beast is back. It may be inherently silly to name aggregations of glass and plastic and metal after an animal, but such handles, when aptly chosen, do have a bit more charm than the difficult-to-translate numerical naming now so in vogue.

Impala debuted as a 1958 model, following the favorable reaction to a conceptual version shown two years earlier at a car show. Positioned as Chevrolet... Read More