2000 Chevrolet Impala

Good looking but average family car

by from New York on January 9, 2011

As an owner of a 2000 Impala LS, the legendary 3.8 liter is a good engine. Too bad they quit making them. Its one of a few reasons to own an Impala. Typical lower/upper intake problems, but fixed at home over the weekend to save some money. The car looks sporty, but the ride is sort of hard for a large sedan and makes trips a bit tiring. The 4 speed auto trans. is probally the weak point here, considering the jerky shift into fourth gear and OD almost regularly. Rear visibility is not that good and makes tight parking lot maneuvers challenging. It has high miles on it now and it sounds like it. There is alot of creaking within the aluminum engine cradle that is easily heard inside the car, and noticeable squeaks are in the dash and overhead console. It gets good highway MPG, but its the little things that add up that make a certain car a one time purchase. This car will be just that. Chevy's car line seems to look all the same now, but just different sizes. If the new Impala is just a newer, bigger and more expensive Malibu clone, good luck selling them. Overall, its not a bad car by any means, but its not a great car either.

O yea, you want it.! Eh, No you don't!

by from Indianapolis, IN on December 19, 2009

I've had my 2000 Impala since October of 07, so a little over 2 years now and I've had nothing but problems from the beginning. I paid 6,000 for the car and another 2,500 or so has went to repairs. In TWO YEARS!!!! I've replaced my head gasket. Had major oil leaks, replaced multiple sensors. My blinkers work whenever they want! My interior lights work maybe 75% of the time. The windshield wipers have a mind of there own. They'll turn off then turn back on (BY THEMSELVES!) This vehicle is just ridiculous and very strange at that. I rather have my 1995 Buick Century back. At least that car never left me stranded. This car is only 9 years old, but has left me stranded 4 different times! I'm done with this car!

Great Car

by from Georgia on July 16, 2011

This car was purchased over six years ago used for my wife and it is nearly bulletproof. I scared us by locking up the security system one time. Other than that it is fantastic. Good gas mileage and roomy!

Best car I've ever owned

by from South Central Missouri on December 7, 2006

My 2000 Impala was purchased in 2001 as a lease return vehichle, it has 110,000 miles on it and runs as good as the day I got it. I drive 65 miles a day to work each way. When I originally bought this car for my wife, I had a Camry. When the Camry got over 140,000 mile we switched because she works so close to home. I love this car. Handles great in the snow nice quiet ride and very comfortable. I'm 54 yrs old 6'2 240 lbs. when I decide to retire this car to city only driving, I will replace it with another Impala. Who needs foreign cars. I get about 31 mpg and I average 70 mph when going down the highway.

Very nice

by from Cincinnati on December 7, 2010

very excellent car. looks like its brand new and feels like its brand new. Great starter car for someone who needs a car to start off their life.

this car is a workhorse

by from on August 29, 2013

i bought my 2000 impala in 2003 with 50000 miles on it. for the first few years it was only short trips. the last 4 years i have been commuting 84 miles to work 5 days a week with no problems. now with 160000 and counting it runs like the day i bought it. Only work done to it is rear wheel bearings. I also have experienced the issue with the directionals working sporadically. Overall a solid car, will likely buy another when this one dies

best running car i have owned

by from south carolina on June 21, 2007

just awonderful car never had no mechanical problems purchased car with 129000 miles on it car now has 180000 miles on it with no problems

Best Car I've Owned

by from St. Louis, MO on July 20, 2015

I bought this car new in September, 1999, and have been driving it for nearly 16 years. Outside of a few warranty-covered repairs early on (cooling system, battery & ignition switch) it has been a first-rate performer. I did have to have the hub bearings on one of the front wheels replaced recently. I am now retired (since 2010), so the amount of driving I do has decreased, but it still has over 100,000 miles on it. This car is the most reliable vehicle I've ever owned - only once has it failed to start (dead battery, caused by a very hot summer). It no longer gets much over 20 MPG, but that's mainly because most of my driving is urban. It is great for trips - very comfortable. Handling is very sure - I always feel confident that the car will respond quickly to brakes and steering. The air conditioning has not been touched since purchase, and it still keeps the car cold on the warmest days of summer. What can I say? I love this car!

What you see is not what you get!

by from on March 18, 2014

What may look like a decent car, is everything but. My grandfather bought this car from a friend, and I bought it from him. The man assured it was a great car, and from the looks it was. Well little did we know we would later on have to replace every motor mount and just about everything else under the hood, but the motor and transmission. The hair and heat only blows on defrost, and it makes a loud whistle when you mash the gas! Wow, yeah I hate this car!

Nice Car

by from Mexico on December 30, 2013

The Car is great no problems no bad reability good price epic styling! My version car is the first in mexico and give 270HP

Our Expert Review: 2000 Chevrolet Impala