Our Expert Review: 2009 Chevrolet Impala

Best Impala so far

by from Macomb,Michigan on December 20, 2009

Have owned or leased over 150 vehicles in lifetime. the Impala we bought is with out a doubt very impressive. Very responsive for a 3.5 V6,excellent acceration,yet overall conditions delivers 27 mpg. Our last Impala was a 2007. Good car, numerous subtle improvements makes the 2009 better. Fit and finish is outstanding. Did alot of comparison shopping and test driving various cars,foreign and domestic. We chose the Impala for it's outstanding value and low total operation cost. No regrets.

Best car I have ever owned

by from Houston Texas on January 21, 2010

I love this car, I recomend the 3.9 or V8 Like mine but even the 3.5 is peppy. Great Dependable car.

Great used car value

by from Winston-Salem, NC on August 5, 2010

I bought a used 2009 Impala from a local Chevrolet dealer. The car had approximately 35,000 miles and was a GM certified vehicle. Pros: The price was excellent (about $12,000 below the new car retail price). The GM certified warranty made the deal for me. I've had the car for about two months and taken it on several road trips. It is an excellent road car. I got 37 mpg on one trip but 32 to 34 mpg is more typical on the interstate. I don't know many six cylinder engines that can claim this. It drops to around 19 mpg in town. The ride is smooth and very quiet. The driving position is just the way I like it--high with a good view of the road. It has a huge trunk and an excellent air conditioner, radio and displays. Cons: The temperature controls are too small and are hard to manipulate when you are moving (not a big deal, just an annoyance). The turning radius is not as tight as I would like, but then again, it is a full size car. My single biggest complaint is the driver's seat. Although it has lots of adjustments available (electric seat controls) I find it hard to get comfortable. I have read other reviews that say the same thing. It seems only some people have this issue so it's probably the result of having a back that is overly sensitive anyway and to being short (I am 5'4"). I seem to be adjusting to it and notice the problem less and less. I think the problem is that the side curtain airbags are apparently stored in the seat itself. It feels like I am leaning against a very tightly inflated balloon. Overall I am very pleased with the car. Based on other reviews, I had some concerns about its long-term reliability. However, those concerns were outweighed by a great price and the GM certified warranty. So far I have had no problems whatsoever. The thing that is most pleasing to me is the smooth, quiet ride and the excellent highway gas mileage. Before buying I drove a comparable Ford Taurus (very nice but more expensive and not as smooth and quiet), a Mercury Milan, Ford Fusion, Acura Integra, and a Hyundai Sonata. Obviously, I felt the Impala was the best value over all.

worst car I ever owned

by from oklahoma on September 7, 2011

this car is a piece of junk! Have had trouble out of it since the day I bought it. I get one thing fixed and something else goes wrong. all GM tells me is, " take it for repair,we will cover the cost". This they do but my warranty is up in 6 months and I can't afford all the repairs. It is too light weight,too much road noise. I can say two good things about it; handles the curves and snow good and has a great stereo system.

So far so good

by from West by God Virginia on May 13, 2011

Stepped down from my '00 Bonneville SLE April of last year. Am getting used to my '09 Impala LTZ. 2nd owner, 7,000 miles. Full options. Beautiful in black. Lots of compliments and questions. Got thumbs up from a 40th Anniversary Corvette driver during test drive. Although not a race car it's crazy fast. Frequently challenged by curious drivers of other cars. 3.9L V-6, gas mileage around 28-29 mpg highway. Light, and true to its current nameplate. I will get one just like it for my wife. Feels solid, safe and roadworthy. Most police agencies where we live use them. Keep reading complaints about the seats from folks. Simply adjust the lumbars and backs of buckets. Critics, drive the LTZ package and support Made In America more.

Traded 2000 Impala for used 2009 LTZ

by from Colorado on January 18, 2010

I drove a 2000 Impala w/3.8L V6 for 10 years and finally parted with it at 139,000 miles! I loved the car but it was getting time to go up to the 2009 LTZ. Replaced a tranny at 100,000 miles, brakes twice, front struts once, and tightened the seals in the engine once. Good car! The 2009 is so much better! Love everything about it! Used had 20,000 miles on it so still in warranty for a while longer. Use it mainly for local driving and some long distance trips. Looked at a lot of cars and settled on the Impala again once more. The 2009 LTZ was exactly what I wanted: Luxury at a price I could afford! No complaints here!!!

Own

by from STL, MO on October 19, 2009

This is my third impala. I get average of 30mpg on highway. Car is so smooth! I actually traded in an Accord and very happy with my choice

very good car for the money

by from tampa,fl on June 10, 2011

I have a 2009 Lt2 3.9 no problems at all.I have 14000 miles.Handles great,road trip to N.J. from Tampa.

Best car I have ever owned!!

by from New Castle, PA on March 11, 2016

I love the performance on the Chevy Impala. It is vey reliable!! I love where the buttons and knobs are located, very easy access to get to them while driving. Best money I ever spend on a car.

Very Reliable Vehicle

by from Illinois on December 6, 2013

I am an 18 year old driver, and I have recently made the move from a cheaper 90's car to this 2009 Chevy Impala. I, having driven several different sedans, can say that this has been my absolute favorite. First of all, the exterior design is a great medium between a legitimate sports car and a stately, full-size sedan for every day use. Its sporty headlights and grille are accented by the slanted body design, rear spoiler, and the Victory Red paint job. The inside of the vehicle is even more impressive. The overall design of the interior is attractive, with a stately and smooth steering wheel shape, a sporty set of gauges in aquamarine color, and bucket seats that invite the driver and passengers to a comfortable ride. The only thing that this reviewer would change about the interior is the paneling design on the dashboard, as the reddish-brown wood-like design paneling could be done without. The comfort and interface of the interior is also impressive. Controls on the radio and temperature system are easy to use, the gauges are very easy to read, storage space in the center armrest is respectable, the shifter knob is conveniently located in the center of the front seats, the seats themselves are comfortable and easily adjustable, the headlight system is easy to use, the cruise control system is easy to use (as well as being conveniently located on the steering wheel), the windshield wiper/turn signal control lever is easily used and seen, and the sound system of the car is phenomenal. The interior, also, is spacious and very comfortable in that sense. Trunk space is very large as well. The car, even with 98,000 miles logged, runs like a charm, and has absolutely no problems. The engine is decently quiet, and is relatively powerful, with 211 horsepower pumping from the 3.5L V6. The vehicle, in conclusion, is attractive, reliable, easy to use, and fun to drive. I, even as a young driver, would highly recommend the 2009 Chevrolet Impala LT to anyone looking for an affordable, reliable, and attractive used car in the 2013-2014 era.

Similar Models