1999 Chevrolet Malibu

Very Good

by on July 22, 2017

I have had my Chevy Malibu for the life of the car bought it almost new with 1 year use, in dec. 2000. This car is strong and still going strong with 198,784 miles. After only changing about 4 parts on the car. Water pump once back in 2005, battery 2007-14,smog pump,brake shoes 6 times overall. I am a gearhead do my own work and know how. But I love this car,It's going through a custom body re-work right now. The people that say it's a bad car, don't know how to work on them. Sky's the limit, when you know how there are made.

Uses car for Havingfun

It's still a Chevy.

by from Mobile on May 24, 2017

This car has several recalls. No transmission dipstick, so there's no way to check the fluid level. It has a nice V6 and saves on gas.

Long lasting car.

by from Joliet il on March 24, 2017

This car is a very good car. Long lasting smooth car. Small fuel tank fairly roomy nice looking car.

Best car I've ever owned

by from Oldtown, ID on December 10, 2015

I have owned my 1999 Chevy Malibu for 5 years now, and I have to say this is the most reliable car I've ever owned. It currently has about 247,000 miles on it, and only recently is the tranny showing signs of wear. The engine is still running strong. I love this car. That being said, there are a few insignificant "cons" - the plastic interior trim is cheap and breaks easily. The cheap plastic things broken inside are: the glove box door, the ashtray, the seat belt buckle covering, the center console hinge, and the door reflector. It's like they put all the money into the drivetrain and skimped on the interior. There are two unusual things about this model - the Daytime Running Lights - which means your headlights are always on no matter what; and there is no transmission fluid dipstick or receptacle. Apparently, you never add transmission fluid. It is sealed into the transmission permanently. I had to look that up in the owner's manual because I couldn't find the transmission fluid dipstick. Aside from those things, this is a good, hardy, reliable car and it will last a long time if you take care of it.

A good first car

by from Tulsa, OK on February 14, 2012

Overall, my 1999 Chevrolet Malibu has been a solid vehicle. Here's my personal opinions: Pros: Decent Acceleration (with V6 engine) Comfortable seats Good features for such an old car Fun handling Pretty good speakers (at least on my Malibu) Solid A/C, heating Big trunk Cheap to repair Reliable engine Cons: Poor interior quality Airbags malfunctioned around 120K miles Issues with front Power windows & Windshield washer fluid system Horrible resale value (especially if you don't keep up maintenance or repairs) Daytime running lights (just a personal dislike) May struggle with cold weather if you don't led the engine idle first One unique thing about my Malibu is that it's a flood vehicle. The car was totally fixed (Praise Jesus for insurance) when my parents had it. Since that was when it had 48K miles, my car's engine actually only has about 77K miles (the dash says 125K). As a result, the engine is still running well so I haven't experienced issues that some people may have since it's not an old engine. I've had this car for almost 3 years and I have to say that it's a decent first car for me. I want a newer vehicle, but this one is still running pretty well.

Steady and sure

by from Chicago, IL on January 14, 2012

My experience with the 1999 Chevy Malibu has been steady and sure over the years. The vehicle has generally been dependable but had its quirks. A pinhole leak on a steam of the coolant system reservoir led to misty fountain-like mess in the engine compartment. The low cycle settings (1-3) for the A/C & heating system failed because of corrosion to the resistor strip on a PCA near the firewall. Moisture attacked the resistors on that PCA causing it to fail. Thus the climate control settings only worked on high (4-5). Replacement part is relatively inexpensive but you need to be a contortionist to access the area. A large, unsightly rust hole with a 4" circumference formed around the fuel intact door. This was a result of a design flaw. Some other rust areas are forming as the vehicle ages in a rustbelt region of the country. Engine performance and gas mileage have been good as advertised. Spacial aspects including intenal passsenger compartments and truck space are very good .

Old Reliable

by from Houston, TX on December 30, 2011

Car ran good had to do a little work on it but was in great condition no big problems out of it yet I like the car very much been driving it around a lot

1999 chev malibu

by from manitowoc wisconsin on March 13, 2011

bought this car 6 years ago. with 48000 miles now it has 97000, this is my wifes car and she just love it. outside of the regular up keeps like tires and exhaust and brakes this car great.

So So

by from Springfield, MO on October 11, 2010

I have had my '99 Malibu since 2001. It had 17,000 miles on it at that time. It now has 108,000 and for the most part it has been a good car i guess. Until about 20,000 miles ago I hadn't even considered getting rid of it but now it always seems to want something. I did have to replace the intake gasket (done by a friend or would have cost $700) and changed the coolant to regular instead of dexcool. I've only had to replace breaks 3 times. If you use good ceramic pads they last longer. I am constantly having issues with the cooling system and the poor design of the recovery tank I have had to replace it three times (due to the preasure build up busting the seam) at a cost of $40 each. The A/C has the issue of turning off at random but it has always done that so I have gotten used to suddenly being hot and having to press the button again. I had to replace the cat converter which was almost $500. Gas mileage isn't anywhere close to what Chevy claims it to be. The check engine light came on, and I replaced the air filter and that fixed it for about 4 months, now the light is on again, so this time I have decided instead of pouring more money into it I am trading it in on a sweet new ride. Don't get me wrong this car has been one of the best, most reliable cars I have ever had since it has never left me stranded. It's just to that stage of it's life where things start wearing out at a rapid pace.

Love this car

by from MN on November 9, 2008

Mine has been very reliable, would never sell except for the small backseat-to small for two carseats. Hardly any repairs...at first I was replacing the brake pads often, but ceramic pads kept up VERY well and I haven't changed them for years.

Our Expert Review: 1999 Chevrolet Malibu