1999 Chevrolet Malibu

Chevy's corner cuts are your repair bills

by from Winston-Salem, NC on October 27, 2008

I've heard many complaints about the Malibu and thought I would share my experience. Its widely noted that Chevrolet decided to save money by making the intake gasket out of plastic. The plastic becomes brittle over time and begins to leak, causing you to lose coolant. It's an inexpensive fix if you are handy with cars, but look to spend $500 or more to have a shop replace it. I replaced mine at 74k. Chevy is also known for using undersized brake discs, causing the brakes to work harder to slow your vehicle. Thus, you end up replacing your brakes earlier and more frequently than other cars. Poor design, not poor parts. When replacing them keep in mind that soft brakes stop better, but wear faster. Other problems of note were water pump issues. I had to replace mine at 60k. There is an issue with the AC system randomly turning off. I hear its a fairly expensive fix due to having to remove the dash. Mine has the problem, but I have found that it doesn't stay off long enough to cause me an issue. I just press the AC button again to turn it back on. Other than that I would say that the '99 Malibu has been a good car. It doesn't get the gas milage they claim, but it isn't that bad. It rides well, and its easy to drive. If you find one that has the intake gasket replaced, the water pump replaced, and a new set of brakes, consider it.

A good first car

by from Tulsa, OK on February 14, 2012

Overall, my 1999 Chevrolet Malibu has been a solid vehicle. Here's my personal opinions: Pros: Decent Acceleration (with V6 engine) Comfortable seats Good features for such an old car Fun handling Pretty good speakers (at least on my Malibu) Solid A/C, heating Big trunk Cheap to repair Reliable engine Cons: Poor interior quality Airbags malfunctioned around 120K miles Issues with front Power windows & Windshield washer fluid system Horrible resale value (especially if you don't keep up maintenance or repairs) Daytime running lights (just a personal dislike) May struggle with cold weather if you don't led the engine idle first One unique thing about my Malibu is that it's a flood vehicle. The car was totally fixed (Praise Jesus for insurance) when my parents had it. Since that was when it had 48K miles, my car's engine actually only has about 77K miles (the dash says 125K). As a result, the engine is still running well so I haven't experienced issues that some people may have since it's not an old engine. I've had this car for almost 3 years and I have to say that it's a decent first car for me. I want a newer vehicle, but this one is still running pretty well.

Most Unreliable Car I've Ever Owned!

by from Pittsburgh on May 21, 2007

This car's chronic problems with the coolant system, brakes and front suspension make it an absolute nightmare to own. GM never stood behind it even after the faulty intake gasket nearly resulted in a class-action suit. Expensive to repair, even more expensive if you don't. Run, as fast as you can away from any dealer trying to sell you this money pit!

1999 chev malibu

by from manitowoc wisconsin on March 13, 2011

bought this car 6 years ago. with 48000 miles now it has 97000, this is my wifes car and she just love it. outside of the regular up keeps like tires and exhaust and brakes this car great.

Best car I've ever owned

by from Oldtown, ID on December 10, 2015

I have owned my 1999 Chevy Malibu for 5 years now, and I have to say this is the most reliable car I've ever owned. It currently has about 247,000 miles on it, and only recently is the tranny showing signs of wear. The engine is still running strong. I love this car. That being said, there are a few insignificant "cons" - the plastic interior trim is cheap and breaks easily. The cheap plastic things broken inside are: the glove box door, the ashtray, the seat belt buckle covering, the center console hinge, and the door reflector. It's like they put all the money into the drivetrain and skimped on the interior. There are two unusual things about this model - the Daytime Running Lights - which means your headlights are always on no matter what; and there is no transmission fluid dipstick or receptacle. Apparently, you never add transmission fluid. It is sealed into the transmission permanently. I had to look that up in the owner's manual because I couldn't find the transmission fluid dipstick. Aside from those things, this is a good, hardy, reliable car and it will last a long time if you take care of it.

has been very good car

by from columbus ohio on October 5, 2006

I have never put one cent into repairs on my car.I love this car Do wish it would have had other features such as cruise control but over all very good car I am looking at buying a new car and will probely buy a 2007

Steady and sure

by from Chicago, IL on January 14, 2012

My experience with the 1999 Chevy Malibu has been steady and sure over the years. The vehicle has generally been dependable but had its quirks. A pinhole leak on a steam of the coolant system reservoir led to misty fountain-like mess in the engine compartment. The low cycle settings (1-3) for the A/C & heating system failed because of corrosion to the resistor strip on a PCA near the firewall. Moisture attacked the resistors on that PCA causing it to fail. Thus the climate control settings only worked on high (4-5). Replacement part is relatively inexpensive but you need to be a contortionist to access the area. A large, unsightly rust hole with a 4" circumference formed around the fuel intact door. This was a result of a design flaw. Some other rust areas are forming as the vehicle ages in a rustbelt region of the country. Engine performance and gas mileage have been good as advertised. Spacial aspects including intenal passsenger compartments and truck space are very good .

Old Reliable

by from Houston, TX on December 30, 2011

Car ran good had to do a little work on it but was in great condition no big problems out of it yet I like the car very much been driving it around a lot

Okay car

by from jersey city, nj on January 24, 2008

not the best car, unreliable, burns too much gas. This car always has temperature problems as far as coolant systems go. Always breaks down but sometimes gets the job done.

Long lasting car.

by from Joliet il on March 24, 2017

This car is a very good car. Long lasting smooth car. Small fuel tank fairly roomy nice looking car.

Our Expert Review: 1999 Chevrolet Malibu