Find out if this car is the best match for you.
2001 Malibu

2001 Chevrolet Malibu

2001 Chevrolet Malibu

3.8

Have You Driven the 2001 Chevrolet Malibu?

plenty of power on performance

by brucetimothygroup from Columbus, GA on Fri Jan 19 2018

this car is roomy, comfortable and handles well. the engine and drivetrain make this car handle the road well.

A car I can trust

by bunty from Detroit,MI on Mon May 15 2017

This is my first car a good reliable car for me as a student you can go for it without any doubt if u find all the basic parts are in shape and car looks decent.

Most reliable car I have ever driven

by sarah b from wisconsin on Wed Jan 08 2014

This car was my fathers and I have been driving it for 3 years now. The car is bare bones, nothing extra, and it has been amazing, except for a few things. The car is 13 years old and the only problems I've had are the head gaskets going, which was expensive 12 years into having the car, and maybe an easy to fix electrical issue here and there. My Malibu has 111000 miles on it and other than sounding a little old and bumpy when it's driven, it runs excellent and starts well too even in freezing cold temperatures. I need to get a new car soon for work and I don't know if I can give this car up!

315,000 miles & going strong

by Peter L from Hannibal, MO on Sun Oct 29 2017

I bought this car used with 94,000 miles on it. It needed the head gasket replaced (Chevy recall). Other than that I've replaced those parts that need replaced regularly. The only minor issue has been the a/c switch. I drive it 90+ miles per day at highway speeds and have no problems. I just had it tuned up and am going to drive it until it falls apart or 1 million miles, whichever comes first.

Low on style but has plenty of other good traits

by A dude in a garage from Rochester Hills MI on Thu Aug 20 2009

I bought my 2001 Malibu LS as a used vehicle in 2005 for a decent price of 8,000 dollars Interior - overall the interior has a very well thought out design especially the cavernous center console storage. However the two gripes that i have about the interior are the fact that the bucket cloth seats have no lower back support and the rubber insert in the dash mounted cup holder tends to tag along with your water bottle and follow it out when it is removed from the holder Performance - believe it or not performance for this car was pretty decent for a family sedan. Granted the Bu is not a pure sports car but the 170 horsepower 3.1 liter V6 does deliver some punch especially when accelerating. Likewise for the nimble handling though some extra road feel would have been nice Exterior - This is where the 2001 Chevy Malibu LS falls on it's face. The approach here is simple plain styling and while that might benefit someone who doesn't want alot of attention (a photographer or someone who does not want to be pulled over by the police for speeding). For the majority of consumers it will come across as a very significant weakness Value for the money - this is where the Malibu truly shines it has the highest Fuel efficiency rating out of all the cars in our driveway and it is often used by other members of my family due to it being more efficient than their own vehicles (a GMC pickup truck and a Chevrolet Suburban) Also the fore mentioned nimble handling makes it easy to park when it's used for shopping runs Reliability - So far my car has been very reliable during the time it has stayed with us. However the one area that has been a persistent issue is the brakes especially with the ABS system (a common gremlin in these cars) Overall the 2001 Chevy Malibu LS is a great first car for a young driver or for someone who needs a good grocery getter. However for someone who is looking for a daily driver and is looking for a long term commitment look elsewhere

awsome car

by tree lee from peabody ma on Sun Sep 19 2010

i had my malibu sence 2004 and i have went from 40,000 to 186,000 miles without one problem. i like the in terior because tere is tuns of spots to but things. even know the exterior doesent ave te best styling in the world.

I love my Chevy Malibu

by Catwoman from Joliet, IL on Mon May 22 2006

I loved my Chevy Malibu so much my mother bought one too! The car is very roomy inside while still being a mid-sided car. I was looking for a car with enough interior room to transport my elderly Grandparents comfortably while allowing them to enter and exit the vehicle with no trouble. This car was an excellent choice. It has been a very reliable car with few incidents of recalls or repairs. Minor recall for the hazard/flashing lights and also a minor repair that Chevy covered 50% of for the blower on the heater. Chevy also replaced the brakes on the car the first year as the pads seemed to be defective. While these three repairs may seem troublesome, both Chevy and my dealer backed their product and I've been 100% satisfied with my car and their service. Our family has taken the car on quite a few rode trips out of state and all passengers, front and rear, are always comfortable. The car still looks new and drives like a dream. I would buy another and definately recomend it!

Overall Great car

by Hopper from Meadville, PA on Sat Apr 11 2009

I bought mine in july of '07 and I read several reviews saying that the 01 model was very unreliable, but since I've had it I've had no problems with it whatsoever. so far I've put 30k miles on it and my brakes are starting to sqeal but they just need changed and i keep putting it off. Handles great, gas mileage is acceptable, my only complaints are that my gas gauge is shaky. I'll park it and it'll say I have 3/4 of a tank and when I start it up again later it'll read 1/2 tank and then shimmy around between 3/4 and 1/2. Also I really don't like the style of the car but that's not a big deal to me with a vehicle. aside from that I would recommend this car to anyone. especially tall people (i'm 6'5" and am very comfortable in it). I may look into getting a newer model but I am leaning toward an impala or possibly a cobalt. Still shopping around though.

Substance Over Style

by Cruisin' Dutchman from New Jersey on Tue Jul 01 2014

Having owned exclusively German cars before, I decided to buy Chevrolet after moving to the US and without any regrets ever since. The Malibu may not be the sexiest car on the road, but it has proven to be very reliable. In fourteen years I replaced the usual suspects, such as the brakes twice, battery twice, the tires once and the radiator once. That's it. In exchange for regular servicing every 5000 miles, my Chevy Malibu has served me well without any trouble. There's something to be said for "simple technology.

A Very Good 'Utility Car'

by Family Guy from Boston, MA Suburbs on Fri Mar 16 2007

I bought this car new in December of 2000 and have owned it now for 6.5 years. We are a family of 4. A mini-van is our 'main' vehicle so this sedan is our 'second' car. My wife prefers the van while I prefer this car. It is a good all-around utility vehicle, not too big and not too small. The back seat is roomy and the trunk is quite large. There have been some reliability issues, primarily electrical in nature, but overall repair costs have been quite reasonable. When it comes time to replace this car I will definitely shop the Chevy Malibu and Impala against the competition.

1 2

Our Take on the 2001 Chevrolet Malibu

It was a Saturday of ordinary things.

I ate oatmeal at breakfast. I had hamburger and pie for lunch. (I lied to my wife about that.) I drove a Chevrolet.

It was the 2001 Chevrolet Malibu LS sedan -- a silver car with a light-gray interior, leather-faced seats and polyurethane forestry.

Neither blue jeans nor T-shirts nor sneakers could be more ordinary. That was fine with me.

Anonymity has its benefits. People leave you alone. After spending several weeks in high-profile vehicles, the new Ford Thunderbird and fixed-roof Corvette Z06 among them, alone time was what I needed. No police escorts. No prying eyes. Blessed invisibility.

I once would've considered that an insult, but... Read More