2006 Chevrolet Malibu

Minimal maint and repair, and great MPG

by from Colorado on June 27, 2010

Right front wheel assembly repair only. No transmission issues whatsoever. Brakes last 150,000 miles, tune-up at same mileage. This car just runs and runs. Consistently get 33 mpg, and in the summer, on up to 35 or 36 mpg.

Safe, Reliable, Great Car

by from Bismarck, ND on December 20, 2010

It's been an excellent car overall. Have 58K miles right now and the only problem I've ever had is some exhaust gasket that needed to be replaced for $50 (which included labor). This is actually my second Malibu. - had an '04 that was totalled before my '06. Both cars were identical, except the look of the steering wheel. I feel very safe in my Malibu after personally experiencing it during a serious crash that totaled my '04. I was hit from the rear and passenger side, but barely even felt the impacts. It does have kinda bland styling, especially the exterior, but it's not ugly either. It handles very well, even during North Dakota winters. The 3.5L V6 has more than enough power for merging and passing and gets as good of gas mileage as many 4 cylinders do. It has many features that weren't so common back then, like an oil life monitor, average fuel economy, exterior temperature display, etc. I also love the TAPShift manual shifting ability. I use it a lot during winter to downshift when going downhill and turning corners. The factory stereo is one of the best I've ever heard for a family sedan - although the rear speakers aren't the greatest. They sound a bit "spongy". I find that the smaller front door speakers actually have better sound. I do wish it has an Aux input jack, and replacing the factory stereo isn't cheap if you want to keep the DIC - which is used through the stereo. Just a side note... most of the bad reviews I've read are about the Maxx. Not sure why there'd be that big of a difference, but it is something I've noticed. I can't give it a perfect 5-star rating because no car is perfect, but it's definitely close.

Love it so much I bought it twice!

by from Indiana on March 12, 2013

I absolutely ADORE my 2006 Malibu. I had one once before, but someone mixed antifreeze in the wrong part under the hood and caused a head gasket issue, so not Chevy's fault. Before that, it had 166k on it and rolled like a champ.After that, I bought the one I drive now, which is great too. Fast, great on gas, even when the gas prices go up I have no problem getting a half tank with like 15 dollars. No one talks about this much, but these cars have an awesome factory sound system. It sounds great! I would definitely recommend this car to anyone!

06 malibu LT V6

by from Columbia, tn on March 22, 2010

bought the car new in 2006, have 42000 miles on it and still love the car. Average 25 mpg in town driving and have gotten as high as 39 on long freeway trips, Car is comfortable and Quiet. Great Car

Not a bad used car

by from Ceredo, WV on August 20, 2011

I bought my 2006 Malibu used in 2009. The car has been very reliable since I bought it. It has a peppy four cylinder engine that allows me to quickly pass cars. However, the interior quality is on the cheap side, and the fuel level sensor has gone bad which leaves the fuel gauge useless. The sensor problem is supposedly typical for 04-06 Malibus.

Best Car ever owned

by from Tampa, FL on November 29, 2010

I bought this with a real bad prior Kia experience and expected very low everthing. I got very high everthing...120K miles, 35 MPG at 75 MPH and no problems. None. Seven oils chnages, three sets of tires, no Problems. Incredible value for the money. I am buying a new one in the spring when this is paid off. BTW I am keeping it.

Love my Malibu

by from New Jersey on November 1, 2011

I am very happy with my purchase, the car is comfortable and reliable, has power and looks good. I would definately buy another Chevy my favorite brand, nothing like American engineering.

greaaaattt

by from mi on August 3, 2010

Love it! Great on gas and very comfy! Can't wait to drive it in the winter time. I would recomment this car to anyone

RDRUNNER

by from LEONARDSVILLE NY on March 28, 2011

I HAVE NO PROBLEMS WITH THIS CAR,I BOUGHT THIS CAR SIGHT UNSEEN,NO TEST DRIVE,JUST A PIC ON THE PC,NO REGRETS

As good as the imports

by from Chanhassen, MN on June 11, 2009

We just purchased a used 2006 Malibu LT V6. So far we love it, the first tank of gas we got 27 mpg in mixed driving, 3 mpg better than the 1998 I4 Malibu we traded in. The car looks great very attractive design, the build quality is as good as Hondas and Toyotas that friends have. The engine is smooth and quiet, the ride is very controled and comfortable. I like the interior design very much, I do think the seat fabric isn't very attractive but does look better in person than it does in pictures. Between the tilt and telescopic steering wheel and height adjustable seat anyone should be able to find a comfortable position. The interior is very spacious, more so than the previous Malibu and the newest Malibu. The electric steering has a little numb but very effortless. I really like the inovations, the electric steering, the drive by wire throttle, a truly modern car. It has a lot of nice comfort touches, the automatic headlights, the remote start, auto locking doors, exterior lighting on door unlock. So many nice touches it's almost on par with my Buick Rendezvous CXL. All told we love this car and highly recommend it.