2005 Malibu Maxx

2005 Chevrolet Malibu Maxx

$640 - $6,696  MSRP Range
2005 Chevrolet Malibu Maxx

4.5

Have You Driven the 2005 Chevrolet Malibu Maxx?

Great Vehicle

by Outdoorsman from Spartanburg, SC on Tue Apr 13 2010

I bought this vehicle with 4 miles on it in 2005, and it now has 65,000. I regularly take this car to the mountains camping and kayaking, and utlitize the trmendous amoutn of interior space. Very quick and handles great. I would definitely buy another Maxx. I have had only one problem with this car... The brake lights would come on randomly (when the brake was not applied), but it only ended up to be a $20 fix to grease a sensor post.

Uses car for Outdoor sports (hiking, cycling, etc.)

Best Car I've Owned

by Forest Lake MN from Forest Lake, MN on Thu Mar 25 2010

I've owned my Malibu Maxx for 4 years. Stickered for $22k and bought 1 year old with 11k miles for $13.5k and is now worth $7k if I sold myself - great resale for a Chevy - but it's not your traditional Chev. I purchased this car because it had a 6cy engine, had a stiffer ride, great features for the money and 30 mpg. All has gone as planned except I easily get 35mpg on the freeway or driving 60 to the cabin on the weekends. I have replaced the spark plugs, brakes and tires - that's it with 79k on the car. Great car for the money. Would like to get something new, just because, but having a hard time finding any reason to spend 20k again when I have a flawless car that runs like new.

Great Car, Great Gas Mileage, Very Reliable

by Drumset Hauler from near Memphis, TN on Sun Jul 04 2010

Being a guy who never quite let myself give in to the station wagon but needed an economical way to haul my drums, the Malibu Maxx was a great choice. I bought it used, it had been in a rental fleet, and it has almost 110,000 miles on it. With the many trips I make, fuel economy was important to me, and I average about 30 mpg city and between 34 and 36 mpg highway. I have plenty of room in the hatchback to stow stuff, and if I need more space the back seats fold down flat for extra storage. Styling is obviously not the greatest, but it's not so bad really, kind of sporty almost. The interior is definitely not up to par. Style-wise it's great, but quality-wise, not so much. Cheap plastic, radio and a/c knobs falling off. Some hot, sweaty days when I rest my arm on the armrest I pick it up to find some paint peeled off with it. Even so, the seats are definitely comfortable. I've driven long distances without having any problems with comfort. Power is also lacking, accelerator response is sluggish and it takes quite a while before it gets going. But once it gets going, it can really go, and it handles great around corners on the backroads near my house. It's very reliable too, I recently went on a trip logging over 3,000 miles, and its still plugging away good as ever. Overall, I'd say its a great car, a great value, has lots of storage space, and gets great gas mileage. I would definitely recommend it.

Malibu Maximus

by RMB from Ogden, Ut on Sat May 14 2011

Super rad vehicle! Uber amounts of room for both the front and back seats and loads of cargo space. The back seats fold down providing awesome possibilities for car camping. Plus, not only is there a sun roof but two moon roofs in the back. EPIC! Gear, dogs, groceries, MPG, style, comfort, and a some juice in the throttle, the MAXX has got it all.

pabluio is the best

by mazda car master from new castle,IN on Sun Jun 15 2008

I was driving on an icy road and a guy almost hit me because he pulled out in front of me. I had to turn very sharply and i thought i was going to crash. But i did not because of the amazing traction control. I think this car is good for someone who travels alot.

im in love

by bunnles from buffalo ny on Wed Oct 07 2009

we purchased this vehicle used about 2 months agi and havent regretted it! there is so much room! love the rear skylight and adjustable pedals! ive noticed alot of reviews stating that the engine over cranks when you start it, we also had this problem but with a quick flip through the owners manual will give you the answer as to why this happens. you dont need to hold the key in the start position to start it, just turn it to start and the engine cranks all by itself.

super

by rusty nutz from ohio on Sat Oct 27 2012

i sreached for over a year to purchase a good used car for daily driving.and have found it in the maxx. my last used car had over 300000 miles on it and the wife wanted me to get something a bit newer. i still wanted good fuel mileage so the looking began. the maxx seemed to come up several times while looking. it has all the room i need outside apperance is fine all the bells and whisles on the inside and still get great gas mileage on my half city and half highway drives to work. averaging 25.8 miles on a 30 mile daily trip. the one i bought has 91000 on it and runs great as well as rides great. this is a car i'd recommend to anyone. very pleased with my purchase.

Love my Maxx

by Legs from Atlanta, GA on Wed Mar 26 2008

I got my 2005 Malibu Maxx used w/ 35k miles on it. I've driven across the country in it and couldn't love it more. I don't like the interior, it feels very cheap. I do love, however, all the features that come standard for the price. I love the way it handles, it allows for very aggressive driving. The trunk w/ the fold-down seats creates a huge amount of room and I haven't met anyone who hasn't been comfortable in the backseat (courtesy of the sliding seats). The fact that the pedals move is great for very short drivers. The only thing is apparently there have been problems with the power steering in 2005s but Chevy is taking care of it for free.

'05 maxx - 6years later no regrets

by StPaulGuy from MN on Fri Sep 09 2011

I have owned this car for 6 years now, have no regrets. Bought used with low mile in '05. It had some steering issues early on but GM took care of them. Otherwise it's been just regular maintenace. It's still a solid ride at 128K. Bought a new car now, but keeping this one around as my workhorse. It's my truck, wagon, sedan. Hold your speed to the legal limits MPG is right there. If you have a heavy foot you'll pay for it in MPG. It has the power to blow past anyone, but it will drink gas fast that way. Just have to get past it's "unusal looks", it's a solid ride. I have hauled alot of big items in this car.

Not just another hatchback

by Driving Enthusiast from grand rapids, MI on Wed Dec 29 2010

I love this car. I was first a little consered that it looked like a statiin wagon but the sllek design along with the extremly usful roomieness have made me a proud owner sinve day one. I feel likeI have a small pickup only with a closed in truckbed!

1 2 3 4

Our Take on the 2005 Chevrolet Malibu Maxx

Chevy's latest effort at unseating the Camry and Accord, the redesigned Malibu sedan that debuted for 2004, also comes in a version that isn't like anything from Toyota or Honda's midsize best-sellers.

It's the Malibu Maxx, a hatchback/wagon version of the Malibu sedan. Both Honda and Toyota once had wagon versions of the Accord and Camry, but gave them up a generation or two ago, deciding, I suppose, that Americans just don't want wagons when they can have SUVs instead.

Today, though, the midsize wagon is making a comeback, and those who want one of these instead of a hulking, gas-guzzling sport utility have options such as the Malibu Maxx to consider.

Whether a sizeable number of people who would... Read More