2001 Silverado 1500

4.6 out of 5 starsValue for the Money
4.4 out of 5 starsReliability

Best Truck on the Road

by Educarated from Philadelphia on January 23, 2012

Between the US big three, you can't beat the reliability of the Silverado. Yes, they all have there maker specific bugs, but the Chevy/GMC have the least of them all. If you are a backyard mechanic you can fix most things on the Chevy. They are engineered to be serviced as well as lasting long. Have owned all of the Big three US and a Toyota and the Chevy is the best.

Best Truck

by Mark from Boise,ID on January 9, 2011

Bought this truck used with only 17,000 and now have 116,000. I added ram air and dual exhaust which added power and mileage. I have the 4.8 V8 and it has good power along with decent mileage for truck. Have not had in shop other than routine maintenance. Has a ticking sound when first started but I have heard this is normal for this year. Handles great on snow or bad road conditions. Best truck I have ever owned.

Chevy Silverado 1500

by mike from South Carolina on December 28, 2011

The Silverado 1500 is probably the world's best overall family vehicle. Every possible comfort option is available and there is not a more reliable mechanical form of transportation available. I love this truck.

Uses car for Towing

love the 5 pass. seating

by love my old truck from atlanta, il on March 8, 2008

owned since new in july of 2001. no problems except for the recalls. they were not all sent to me. i found them at cars.com. i only have 55000 on the truck. i just replace the tires.(still had 10000 miles left) leather is still perfect, and all is well.

BEST TRUCK EVER

by Jose from Riverside, CA on April 13, 2009

I ACTUALLY HAVE 2 OF THESE ONE IS A WHITE EXTENDED CAB SLT WITH 5.3 ENGINE AND THE LEATHER IS GREAT AND THE OTHER ONE IS A DOUBLE CAB 1500 HD WITH THE 6.0 ENGINE THEY ARE GOOD ON GAS COMPARED TO OTHER TRUCKS THE SAME YEAR I LOVE CHEVY IT IS THE BEST THATS ALL I OWN AND THEY BOTH HAVE A GOOD PAYLOAD THE 1500 HAS A PAYLOAD OF 1800 POUNDS AND THE 1500HD HAS A PAYLOAD OF 3660 POUNDS AND ALSO THE RIDE IS GREAT THEY ARE GREAT HARD WORKING TRUCKS CHEVY RULES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Love My Chevy Truck

by Constructionpig from Dallas, Texas on December 12, 2012

I got this 2001 Chevrolet truck after my last 2001 Chevrolet truck was wrecked. I hit a 60' tall telephone pole head on at 50mph and suffered no injuries. What sold me on this truck was the CARFAX report I saw that it was a 1 owner and where it got registered every year so i figured it was in pretty good shape. I was right this 11 year old truck is a cream puff and I absolutely love it! Thanks CARFAX

A few minor design issues but overall bulletproof

by ss195 from Western NY on May 24, 2018

GM made millions of these also called a Sierra in GMC nameplate. The legendary small block 5.3 is a great engine and has the history to back it up. While others have tried, no one can dispute that when all things are considered, this engine is better than anything from Japan or Detroit. That being said, I still wonder why the GM engineers still have trouble with exhaust manifolds/gaskets, knock sensors, and coolant leaks. Equally as odd is why they can't seem to make a wheel bearing, window motor, door switch or brake rotor last more than 60K while the power-train can go on forever! The vehicle drives accurately, brakes well, and feels stable. Seating is adequate and the controls are logical and placed well. No hunting for the right knob and no pulling up a menu to change the radio station! (yes, some ask you to do that) Maintenance is simple and cheap. Parts readily available and finding aftermarket parts and customization is endless. I've had several including one with 250,000 miles and still no sign of quitting.

Uses car for Towing

I love this truck

by Dougpetsel from Stuart fl 34997 on July 3, 2018

I still own it I would hate to get rid of it has 230,000 miles and it can still beat a Mustang this truck has been a part of me I've always been a Chevy man ever since my 68 Camaro SS.

Most dependable vehicle I owned

by Josh from Phoenix on July 16, 2013

I have taken this Vehicle from northern Wisconsin to Phoenix, Arizona 4 times in the middle of winter with a trailer. Snow, ice, mountains, wind, rain, mud, dirt roads, anything mother nature has thrown at this vehicle it has handled without causing concern. I average about 17-18 mpg with mostly highway driving with a pick up shell on. It fits 6 adults in a very snug fashion. I'm 6'1" and the back seat is not ideal for long trips. I've filled the bed with rocks, full pallet of concrete, and even used it as a camper. My biggest complaints would be ABS, as on steep down hill descents can be rather scary when you need to slow down and the vehicle thinks you're slipping. I currently have 220,000 miles on mine and have had to repair the A/C once and just recently replaced the water pump and hoses. I'll say I'm not for the little trinkets in vehicles, I am more interested in what my vehicle can do and where it can go. It's not a luxury ride, but you can go pretty much any place you want and bring anything you want with. I have the LT model. Having steel bumpers is a nice as I'm not worried about denting or cracking my front or back end when hitting something. It's a tank. A women hit my truck in a parking lot totaling her little saturn, I had a scuff on the bumper. This truck has driven in 117 degrees to -50 degrees and has never had any issues. No highway complaints and zero off road complaints. I drive the vehicle as I got it, no altercations, no enhancements.

Inherent Engine Woes Common to THis Year Model

by Tacoma Hater from Lee County, Alabama on October 25, 2011

Overall, this truck is what I would expect from a Chevy truck, having owned three of them before buying this used one. My only complaints are with the engine and cheap interior switches. The engine has a piston slap that, from what I have read, is a common malady with the 2000 - 2002 5.3 L engines, because the bean counters had the engineers remove too much piston skirt material to save a few bucks per unit. 2. The plastic intake manifold is a design mistake too, because it warps over time and causes leaks that require new corrective gaskets (the green ones). That should have been a recall issue just as the Pontiac head gaskets were in the past. Also there are fuel control valve issues inherent in this model that I have yet to correct (minor). Overall, it is a Chevy truck, and I am just happy to have one over the 1993 Ford F-150 I just got rid of. I will probably just pull and rebuild the engine and cure all of its ills when I get time, and put better aftermarket parts in it to correct all of GM's design shortcommings.

1 2 3