2012 Sonic

4.4

Have You Driven the 2012 Chevrolet Sonic?

Love this car

by sonic lover from Thumb of Michigan on Mon Apr 08 2013

I recently was given a 2012 Chevy Sonic as a gift from my husband. It was sitting on the showroom floor and I fell in love as soon as I saw it. It is comfortable, the turbo is so quick for passing, and it has all the bells and whistles. It is the nicest car I have ever owned and I love it. Averages 34 miles to the gal, I thought it would get a little better, but everything else is so nice I wouldn't trade it. I got the midnight black metallic color and have had many people tell how classy the color is. It is bigger on the inside than what it looks like, too.

by Marla from Flint, MI on Wed Mar 21 2012

Loving the Sonic....solid car, economical, cute...everything I need in a car for good transportation.

Safety reviews do not lie

by Alive from on Sat Jan 10 2015

I totaled my sonic two days ago and walked away. I bought the car for itssafety ratings and affordability. I'm impressed with the car!

Fun, Fun, Fun

by First time Hatchback owner from Waynesboro, VA on Tue Jul 17 2012

I purchased my manual trans. LTZ hatchback in March. I put 700 miles on it every week. Love the fuel econ. It is fun to drive,but I regret not getting the Turbo. It doesn't get up to spead on the highway as the automatic trans. did with the same size engine. Also, the clutch has a loud clicking noise. The service dept. was quick to order new one. Unfortunately, all 3 pedals had to be replaced (kit) and the steering column had to be removed to replace them. After all that the new pedal does the exact same thing! Don't bother to get it replaced. It does'nt effect the clutch, it's just annoying. Interior: The front seats are quit narrow, may not be comfortable to some. The finish on the dashboard equipment is already wearing off and scratches easily when wiping clean. If I had not over paid for this vehicle by several thousands, These things probably wouldn't bother me. Still , I would recommend at the right price.

Fuel efficient, quiet, tight package

by Knobbytire from Parker, CO on Mon Aug 06 2012

I've had a LTZ with turbo and manual tranny for a week now as my new commuter. I just filled my tank for the first time and it's averaging 47 MPG (9.6 gallons in 460 miles), which is far better than I had expected or what it's rated for. It has adequate power - nothing great, but not bad, either - probably more than one would expect from a car in this class. Interior-wise, it has ample legroom, the bluetooth works really really well, and the handsfree sounds like I'm using an earbud. It handles nicely, is very quiet and isn't too spongy or taut a suspension. Cons: It does look a bit like an angry kitchen appliance. It doesn't just use the address book on your iPhone, rather, you have to put in voice tags. The passenger seat should have an armrest. A lot of gears to shift through with a really, really tall 6th gear and a too low 1st gear. It'd be nice if US manufacturers would adapt small, efficient diesel options so we could have more torque. Also, better options for mounting "toys" like hardpoints on the roof for a roofrack that doesn't touch the finish. I ended up with a trailer hitch to carry my mountain bike on a hitch-mounted rack. Overall though, this gets 5 stars. Chevy did well designing a nice, little car that performs very well.

Great Little Car

by Dave from Copperas Cove, TX on Sat Dec 26 2015

Bought this mainly for the wife as she is tiny and has trouble driviing my Equinox. Searched for weeks looking for the right car. Found this 2012 Sonic LT Hatchback with only 14,350 miles - was a Certified Vehicle by GM. We took it for a test drive and she liked it, could drive it fine so we bought it. I drive it quite a bit now also. I like it also. Lots of pep for a small 1.8 liter engine. Roomier than it looks. 6-speed auto trans works great. Is surprisingly quiet for a small car - minimum amount of road noise. Handles great. Chevy hit a home run with this one.

Awesome car

by Sonic love from Maine on Mon Feb 10 2014

My sonic is very comfortable, reliable and handles well!!!! I had a small SUV before with several issues ... The sonic is just what I needed!!!!

My First Investment

by Tanisha from Emporia, Kansas on Fri Apr 01 2016

I bought this car my senior year of high school because of its excellent gas mileage and have had it for about 2 years now. It ranges from 32 mpg down to 25 mpg. I really tested the car when I drove from Kansas all the way to California with 4 grown adults, luggage, and a dog. The car did AMAZING. I had ZERO problems what so ever. The car does pretty average in weather, but in heavy rain I tend to hydroplane on the highway. I don't know if it is because of the structure of the car or the tires I have. For being a compact and inexpensive vehicle it has a very luxurious feel to it which I absolutely love. Bluetooth, on star, steering wheel controls are amazing, and the speedometer features. The only one complaint I have about the vehicle is sometimes the AC will make a ringing sound like something is loose, but then goes away. This car is perfect for someone who wants a luxury feeling car without spending bookoo bucks!

LOVE IT

by ANN25 from on Sun Nov 18 2012

I love my little sonic, its the base model but its so fun to drive and comfortable....Definitly recommend :)

34,000 miles later

by Minnesota from Jordan, MN on Mon Apr 14 2014

More warranty work knock censor and torque converter seal. think I will start looking for another chevy when 5 year 100,000 mile runs out.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Our Take on the 2012 Chevrolet Sonic

The all-new Chevrolet Sonic's style, ride quality and fun-to-drive nature land the new car well past the Chevrolet Aveo it replaces and establish it as a competitive player in the exploding subcompact field.

Chevrolet accomplished its goal of creating a sport-oriented Sonic, but buyers on a budget will have to decide if fun is more important than fuel economy. The base 1.8-liter engine's 35 mpg highway rating is merely average in a segment where high gas mileage and low prices flourish. The Sonic's optional turbocharged 1.4-liter engine boosts mileage to 40 mpg on the highway, though for now it's only available with a six-speed manual transmission. A six-speed automatic, now... Read More