Read or write a review.

2004 Chevrolet Tahoe

Change Year
4.3
Average based on 16 reviews

Nice truck with questionable build quality

by from Cincinnati, OH on November 16, 2007

I bought my loaded 2004 Tahoe Z71 demonstrator with 3,200 miles on the odometer in November, 2004. The truck is quiet, nice to drive, and great for trips. Because I have an economical commuter vehicle and I carpool, the truck only has 33k miles on it after three years--it still looks brand new. Unfortunately, it has suffered from a number of chronic "GM-itis" symptoms. The steering intermediate shaft has failed twice--it was repacked and then replaced under warranty. The truck ran the battery totally flat on a number of occasions after 2-3 days of not being driven. This was fixed with a software update and battery replacement. The truck started having problems with the 4WD system a few months ago ("Service 4WD" message), which was the first time I have had problems with a four wheel drive vehicle in 17 years of owning 4WD vehicles. Two trips to the dealership appear to have fixed this problem (so far). However, with the base warranty expiring in a few days, I'm wondering what the future holds. I have heard the instrument cluster fails regularly on these trucks ($800 to replace). We just received a letter saying GM is extending the warranty on this item to 7 years/70,000 miles, so I'm hopeful I won't have to pay for that repair. This Tahoe has the flex-fuel option and I look for E85 whenever possible. I get 18-19.5 mpg on the highway with 87 octane fuel and 13-15 (highway) with E85--not bad for a huge vehicle with 300 horsepower. Towing a loaded utility trailer with this Tahoe is superb--you don't even realize the trailer is there. I have heard people complain about the interiors in these vehicles but I think the interior is very nice. I test drove a Toyota Sequoia before purchasing the Tahoe and I thought the Tahoe was a much better value for the (heavily discounted) price. In short, the truck drives nice and gets reasonable fuel mileage for a huge vehicle (you won't confuse it with a Prius). If GM could have put it together a little better, I could foresee keeping it for a long time. However, due to its spotty reliability so far, the jury is out on long long it will stay in my garage.

I will miss this SUV so much

by from florida on April 18, 2011

This beautiful SUV is like a member of the family. It has zip! Can be counted on in the winter, rough weather it plows through with it's 4 wheel drive. It can out distance most cars on the highway when I need the power. but most of all, very safe and dependable. I never fear when I am behind the wheel of this luxary vehicle. It has so many bells and whistles too. Power side view mirrors, sun roof, Bose radio system, Onstar, Sirius. Beautiful, comfortable leather seats. So many features, like heated seats, dual air and heat control, backseat air and heat, DVD, retractable foot pedals. Can;t even mention all the pluses. We are having to sell it because of medilca reasons or I would never part with my Tahoe friend.

Best car I have owned

by from Alabama on June 23, 2010

My Tahoe is very comfortable, reliable and great for trips or everyday driving. My wife drives it for her everyday vehicle and loves it. The size is great.

2004 Tahoe Z71

by from BField, Ct on December 23, 2009

Family bought this car brand new for the 4WD and traveling. Very happy with this big beast!! Very powerful having the 5.3 liter flexfuel engine 295hp. towing package works like a dream. never gets stuck 4WD works great rides good visibility is great for a big truck!! one problem was the recall on the headers. Engine had to be taken apart and put back together ($1200)but thats the only problem. great truck!! 87,500 miles and still going strong!!

Multi-purpose Utility

by from Washington, DC on October 29, 2009

86,000 miles, Z71 original tires lasted 60,000. Purchased softer compound replacements for better stick. Still looks and runs great. The instrument cluster was replaced under recall and the steering linkage similarly replaced. Great on long trips. Be careful in the downtown parking garages!

all purpose vehicle

by from El Paso,Tx on December 4, 2009

great capacity,carries people,bags,etc I particularly like the powerful engine I owned one for 5 years,it drives like knew, great car !

Better vehicle than I would have imagined!!!

by from Midland, Ga on January 19, 2014

I have the 2004 Tahoe, I would have never imagined how dependable this suv would be. I have had it for 10 years and bought it brand new. I have been thinking about selling it and down sizing to a smaller vehicle, but I haven't been able to find one with the space of this one that I am used to having. never had to have any major work done. afraid if I sell it, I might regret it. think I might just keep it!

Very Reliable!

by from Myrtle Beach SC on February 10, 2012

Love it. Very roomy & a comfortable ride. Strong engine & reliable!! Would recommend to anyone, durable inside & out.

Reliable, comfortable & a worthwhile investment.

by from East Texas on July 17, 2013

My wife has finally seen the Light. Our (new/used) 2004 Z71 was a great find. Well taken care of & still driving like almost new, our only disappointment is that we waited this long to own one. The cars.com app helped us to get acquainted with fair prices & what we should expect to get for our money. The downside to the app is that it didn't represent the vehicles here locally, but it was still useful in the knowledge we gained from searching.

been just a great suv, only had one repair visit

by from great falls, MT on March 11, 2009

i have drove ths car for almost 5 enjoyable years, 2nd best car i ever owned honda civic was no#1, but the tahoo is a lot safer vehicle

Similar Models

Select up to three models to compare with the 2004 chevrolet tahoe

You have selected maximum of 3 cars

Remove one of these cars to add others or compare the below cars now.