2006 Crossfire

2006 Chrysler Crossfire

2006 Chrysler Crossfire

Have you driven the 2006 Chrysler Crossfire?

A future classic

by Chris from Overland Park, KS on Thu Oct 14 2010

My previous car was an 03 Mustang, a tough act to follow. The Crossfire is a brilliant case study in design. The cab-back stace reinforces the art deco feel of the car which starts at the spine along the roof, oozes down through the strakes in the long hood and out of the giant styling rims. I really cannot think of another current car which so effectively exudes this type of style, save for the Crossfire Roadster. There is no question that Chrysler went "all in" on the styling, which rightfully begs the questions "Is there substance?" In my opinion, there is. Most people looking to buy this car have all heard the same speal, "It's not as fast as a Z, it doesn't handle like a boxster, the Mercedes frame the car was built on is quite dated." These things may all be objectively true, however this car isn't necessarily built to be on a track. The car inspires confidence as the wide rear tires grip in most cases can keep up with any amount of acceleration the engine can throw at them. The ride is tight but not uncofortable. Long-distance trips are immensley comfortable as the leather bucket seats have great bolsters for both one's hips and shoulders. The manual transmission is capable of shifting smoothly and actually does a good job of giving driver feedback, though the cluch seems to be very "big" so there is some "ca-clunking" that goes along with learning the car's shift points/revs. Once these melt away, you are left with a beautifully styled car built on a frame that has never drawn critisism until it was placed in this car, and even then it was more people pointing out that it was "old" rather than bad. This car is extremely ridged and the suspention works dillagently in the small amount of travel that the large wheels afford it. The car was indeed an expensive proposition for someone cruising a Chrysler dealership, but in 2010 they have depreciated to a point bordering on cheap, which is amazing for any coach-built sports car that isn't riddled with reliability issues. This car is one of the first and perhaps the only, good example of Daimler-Chrysler partnership. The engine and many of the parts are Mercedes ans the Detroit-penned body-panels were manufactured by the coachbuilder Karmen in Germany, where the car was assembled. Although there weren't a large volume of these cars built, the engine is identical to that in the SLK of slightly earlier vintage, making parts and service options readily available. Properly maintained, this car has better realiability than average cars. One thing that must be noted is that things on this car are unmistakably "German" in that specialized through over-thought "German" sort of way, which can make things slightly more expensive, not a shock to people who have owned European marks before, but may shock people expecting a thoroghly Chrystler experience. For example, the engine takes 8 quarts of 0W-40 oil, a brand new set of tires rus about $700, and the windshield wiper blades have little spoilers on them to keep them penned to the windshield at speed. Luckily the car is neither a garage queen or loosely built, so these costs are mitigated through reliability. Overall this car is very unique and styling that evokes the art-deco era is unlikely to look dated any time soon. The car is unapologetially stylish, which means that there will be people who do not like it. I say, "Who cares about these people!" if they want safe or conservative let them be! Everytime I climb into my Crossfire I am smiling and have never thought, "I wish I had bought..." For a car who style champions the machine, harking back to an era of steel and glass, it evokes an an amazing amount of emotion. You cannot go wrong with this future classic.

having it for the last 5 years says something

by mark from Apple Valley, MN on Wed Mar 20 2013

I bought my 2006 Limited coupe in Dec 2008 with only 10K on the clock. Drove it that first winter here in Minnesota and had little trouble because of the ESC and traction control systems. The wide tires would push snow in front but that's part of the deal. Good snow tires would go along way if you need it as a daily driver in the north. after that first winter I putit away until Spring because I was more concerned sombody else would hit me, as the insurance would total it because of the repair to value cost. I now have 40K on it, still think it's the most fun and beautiful car I have ever owned. Not one single problem with it, maintenance is not that expensive, reliability has been awesome, head turner all the time. Steering is almost but not quite true sports car, ride is fully acceptable, power fine to give you a rush but not overwhelming, very driveable and fun, but if you're looking to kill "vettes, get the SRT, that one will. The limited though will pull V8 camaro's at the light I have proven. cabin room, for two, is just fine, I'm 6-2 200 and fit great. Luggage space better than you'd think. have carried 2 large dogs back there-they loved it. 25 mpg in general use, 29 on the highway at 70mph, good eenough for me. I plan to never give up my Cross for the unique factor, overall fun and reliability and it just gives me so much pleasure to have. There will be certain repairs needed, few issues like RCM's and key system failures but there is a wonderful community of owners out there who have helped each other out immensely and these are all relatively easy fixes. It has just been such a great car at a reasonable price. Always wanted a Porsche Cayman but every time I think of the cost of maintenance, as well as it's overall price I say nah, I already have about 75% of that at 25% of the cost and aggravation.

A Mercedes in a Chrysler Costume

by Traveler4k from Beverly Hills, CA on Mon Jan 30 2012

This car is so much fun to drive. If you are OK with premium fuel and synthetic oil, get this car and just enjoy! I LOVE the performance of it and it is COMPLETELY European in feel. Since the price of the roadster limited was over $40,000, today I am able to buy it (mine only had 25,000 miles on it) for $16,000. It was in excellent condition! You may want to get any used car checked fully by a mechanic and get a full report on it! Many nationwide companies offer this. I purchased my car in El Cerrito, CA and live in Los Angeles. I LOVE this car! It is way cool and very fun! I HIGHLY recommend it! It is an eye-turner!

Great 2 seater...for the price...but.....

by Roundhead from Gresham, OR on Mon Jun 07 2010

I'm satisfied with the purchase price, and the car itself is a definate head turner. The power is awesome, and the ride is smoother than I expected, however, I have to say I wish Chrysler had added more features to the base, such as power windows, and seats (passenger seat sits lower than the driver's seat with no adjustments available), and a sunroof. I've also had problems finding accessories for the vehicle such as window deflectors, and a security guard for the trunk, to hide items. Overall, I am satisfied with my purchase, and the comments I receive from people range from "Nice car." to "What a nice car....what is it?"

Awesome Car

by BlueChip from Georgia on Wed Apr 21 2010

These drive like a dream and turn every head in the process.... i love mine... if your looking for a sports car and don't want to break the bank this baby is right for you... why buy a mustang or vette when you can get something rare and stylish for half the price.... you won't regret this little dream....

LOVE IT!!

by Acebassman from Ft Lauderdale, FL on Thu Jan 28 2010

I have loved these since they came out. I was lucky to find one with only 10k so it was literally brand new. I have the convertible and love it. The look of this car is superb. It's not the most comfortable car but for a 2 seater it's not bad. The lack of a cupholder is lame. Overall I'm loving it.

Love my Car

by kwalker1108 from Kansas City, Mo on Sun Sep 02 2012

I have had my 06 xfire since it was new. I have 68,000 miles on it. The only thing I have had an issue with is the cup holder has broken multi times. This is a Touring rear wheel drive car. The tires are a little expensive, but they are low profile high performance. You will not get lots of life out of your tires, but is it fun to drive. This wonderful car runs on 8.5 qts of synthic oil. Oil changes are ever 7500 miles or less depending on the computer. I have enjoyed every mile I have put on this car. I will keep it for a very long time.

Crossfire 06

by raceguy239 from Berwyn on Mon Sep 03 2012

Grate little car. Looks,drives, handels, and runs GRATE!!!! Can be pricey to mantane but woth it Just love it.

I love my crossfire!!!

by crossfiregirl06 from Kerrville Texas on Sat Mar 22 2014

I have had my car almost 6 years. Brought it used and with only 3,000 miles on it. I now have 65,000 miles. it is a daily driver and I travel in my job. Take it everywhere. We took in on a out of state trip a couple of years ago. handled great, no problems. Maintenance can be pricey. But she is paid for and I don't care. She is the best, most solid car I have ever owned. And she has been hit twice by other drivers. After repairs, no rattles or leaks from the convertible top. I sometimes look at newer cars, and think about getting a new one. But why? This car still drives like a new car.

Unique and Fun!

by Donald from Wichita, KS on Sun May 07 2017

Very stylish, unique and lots of fun to drive! The exterior and interior have lots of fun, quirky details. Definitely not the look a like styling so common nowadays. Not for the tall 6 ft. 3 crowd, but comfortable for me.

1 2 3