2008 PT Cruiser

2008 Chrysler PT Cruiser

2008 Chrysler PT Cruiser

3.9

Have you driven the 2008 Chrysler PT Cruiser?

Good Value For the Money

by Dave from Los Angeles on Mon Dec 17 2012

First, the PT Cruiser is not an economy car. Just because it is a 'small' car, don't think you will get 22 mpg city, 30 mpg highway. I get 18 mpg city, 24 mpg highway, average 19.5 overall. Think of it as a small SUV, with seats that fold down or pop out, you can carry as much as a big SUV, including a mountain bike, with the front tire still on. Try to do that in Honda Fit. I bought a 2008 loaded Turbo in 2012 with 34,000 miles for $9800. Dealers want $15,000 to $16,000 for a used Honda Fit or Nissan Versa, with less power, ugly styling, cheaper interior materials. No, I dont get 24 mpg average. But the $5,000 I saved will buy a heck of a lot of gas.

pt cruiser

by sandhammaren05 from Houston, Tx on Thu Jan 05 2012

Three years ago we bought a 2008 PT Cruiser from a close friend who makes a living buying wrecks at auction and rebuilding them. The car had 12000 miles, now has 49000. It's the most comfortable touring car I've ever driven (compared with VW, BMW, Ford Contour, various vans, and Opel Vectra (in Germany)). I really like not having to squat to sit down, there is enormous leg room fore and aft, and even the back seat is comfortable. We drove 4000 miles, W. Tx., N.M., Az., Col., Christmas 2010, and I was never tired. The car handles like a sports car, has excellent suspension and does not oversteer or understeer. The gas mileage is awful, 19 mpg towing a small boat, 23.5 mpg cruising on an interstate at 80-90 mph. I've even hauled 15-25 hp outboards back to Tx. from Ky., weighing 77-120 lb., in the hatchback trunk. And there was still room for baggage. You pack vertically instead of horizontally. Best touring and towing car I ever drove, hands down. Also, the car cost $8000 and the only sign of the wreck is that the left rear door closes a bit hard. Unfortunately, the side mirrors must be adjusted manually.

Snappiest Car on the Road

by PT LOVER from Minnneapolis, Mn on Sat Jul 27 2013

I bought a 2003 PT Cruiser Base new and put 210,000 miles on it and loved every mile...granted I had to put some money into to keep it running smoothly...but nothing that normal wear and tear did not dictate....I just sold the PT and bought another higher end car but missed my PT so much went out and bought a 2008 yesterday for a second run around car....and love it also! Only had it a day...but think it will be as fun and reliable as the last....now I am looking for a low mileage convertible PT....sigh...sure wish they still made this snappy little car!

Great Car

by Mr PT from NH on Sun Nov 03 2013

Great little car cheap to run. This car is good on gas and parts if it needs something are also cheap but I think its a great little car.

Great Car

by PT Baby from Hammond Indiana on Wed Jan 20 2016

We bought This Pt Crusier from Omni Auto xales in Whiting Indiana. The staff was great, very personable,helped with everything,really took care of us . Very Happy1 Would recomend this dealer to anyone who is looking for a great car!!! Thanks to Pablo and Bob for all their help. David and Michele Wasson

Awesome Classical Design / Not Economic

by RayJaystar from Redondo Beach, CA on Sun Apr 23 2017

The car is a real piece of art speaking of classical design, although the car is not economic at all like the new ones. :( Also, really expensive to fix.

Does not recommend this car!!

Good car to get around town.

by Ronjones453 from Lima, Ohio on Fri Aug 11 2017

Good to get around town, OK gas mileage. Only ding I would give it is the position of the rear-view mirror. I am 5'9" and catch myself ducking so I can see under/behind the mirror. Almost had an accident once when I forgot to look behind the mirror and a car was in my blind spot. Overall it is a decent car!

I OWN 2 OF THEM A 2007 AND 2009 ONE RED ONE SILVER

by PTCRUISERLUVVER from PITTSBURGH,PA. on Thu Feb 15 2018

MINE ARE TOTALLY ZIEBARTED(RUST-PROOFED) AND NEVER SEE SALT ; I LIKE BOTH OF THE EQUALLY ; KNOCK ON WOOD HAVE NEVER HAD ANYTHING BUT MAINTENANCE ITEMS FOR THE VEHICLES; WITH 7 OTHER CARS ; I PREFER THESE FOR EASE OF OPERATION ; MY WIFE LIKES THEM THE BEST @4'-11" THESE ARE EASY IN AND OUT ; GREAT A/C AND HEAT 26MPG AVERAGE..WHAT'S NOT TO LIKE!

Looks Great, Feels Great!

by (InsertNicknameHere) from Ohio on Sat May 21 2011

I bought a Used PT Cruiser Touring Edition (Non-Turbo) about a week ago and traded in my 2005 Chevy Cobalt. My PT Cruiser has 48,000 miles on it. First of all, I should say that this car offers a generous amount of space for both driver and passenger, unless you're sitting in the middle of the rear seats. I'm 6'3", 230lbs. and have no problems with getting in or out of this vehicle, having poor legroom, or anything of that nature. This car handles excellently on the open road and accelerates well-enough to make it down the entrance ramp and get you on the highway at appropriate speed with no problems. I read a previous review where it was mentioned that they have difficulty accelerating their PT Cruiser uphill and maintaining speed, however, this (Ohio Valley) is quite a hilly area and I will report that I have not experienced that problem. This automobile rides quite smoothly and barely notices potholes. In fact, the only negative aspect of this vehicle with respect to performance is the turning radius. I have found that it can be difficult to pull into (and even moreso back out of) tight parking spots. That's an issue that can very easily be avoided where I live, but at the same time, I would not recommend this car to someone in a major city unless they are really good at parking to begin with. The exterior styling is a throwback to cars of the 30's-50's. I have heard many say that it looks like a, "Gangster," or, "Mobster," car. The only thing I can really say about the exterior styling is that I love it. I could go into detail, but it would be pointless because: 1.) Taste in design is purely subjective, and 2.) You can find any number of pictures of them on-line and make your own decision. The interior design is very classy, clearly modeled to look like a luxury vehicle. If I could give the interior design four-and-a-half stars, I would. My only objection to the interior design is that it is very difficult to get to the button for your read-out on the left: (1.) Temperature/Direction/Radio Function-Station-CD Track 2.) Miles per Gallon 3.) Distance-to-Empty 4.) Elapsed Trip Time) while the car is in motion. The read-outs on the right are a bit easier (Odometer, Trip Distances, etc.) are a little more accessible. I do not warrant this minor nuisance as being worthy of subtracting an entire star, though. I have nothing else to say about the interior design, again, I love it, but pictures are easy enough to find. I consider this automobile great value for the money, given both the Used Car valuations that can be found on this site as well as the MSRP's at the time the automobile came out. Regardless of whether or not someone appreciates this car's exterior appearance, I doubt if there are very many people at all that do not consider the automobile unique. Furthermore, I think that the cargo space is more than sufficient, and the extra shelf that comes with the automobile makes it very convenient for loading breakable/smashable groceries separate from non-breakable groceries without having to clog up your seating area. There are many who complain about the fuel economy of this automobile, but I find these complaints rather odd. Information concerning the EPA's Estimated Fuel Economy 19-City 24-Highway is readily attainable, so nobody should be surprised when this vehicle does not give them the gas mileage that many others would. I reset my MPG's monitor when I drove it off of the lot, and after one week and 300 miles (even split between city/highway) I'm cruising along at 23.4 MPG's. That's a far cry from the 29.8MPG's (Combined) in my Cobalt, but I knew that was coming. Why does everyone act so surprised? I'm giving reliability an assumption-based five stars, I'll either update this review or post a new one if the situation changes. Again, I've only had it for a week. Overall, if you're an individual that's looking for a unique-looking, comfortable vehicle at a reasonable price that includes many of the frills one c

A fun, competent ride

by PTdriver from East Falmouth, MA on Wed Sep 29 2010

My 2008 PT Cruiser was purchased used; a former Enterprise rental car. I'm using it as a 'spare'; that is, I do lots of business in an area I fly to, and the car sits there for local transportation. I wanted something a little more interesting than the usual low-end econo-boxes, but that wouldn't break the bank, as it was a second vehicle. The car has good looks, is more substantial than something like a Hundai Accent or Chevy Aveo, and is reasonably roomy. It could use a few more horsepower (mine is non-turbo), but one must calibrate ones expectations. Complaints about the poor turning radius wound up being a non-issue; it could be a bit better, but its not bad enough to be a hassle. My mixed city-highway fuel economy is about 23 mpg, as shown on the in-car computer; not bad, but not spectacular, either. That's probably at least partly due to the car's aerodynamics; it was styled to look cool, not to slip smoothly through the air. That's fine by me. All in all, while you'll never mistake this for a $50k Mercedes, its a perfectly reasonable ride, and for a decent price. Go for it!

1 2 3 4

Our Take on the 2008 Chrysler PT Cruiser

When the 2001 Chrysler PT Cruiser went on sale in 2000, the company suspected it had a hit, but likely didn't realize what long legs the car would have. Now sales have slowed, but it remains a great value.

A testament to developing a solid product and improving it year after year, the PT Cruiser may be a better buy than the company's touted alternative, the Dodge Caliber. The PT Cruiser is a more-solid, stable highway car, and at least the equal of the Caliber around town. And with the discounts you can logically expect on the PT Cruiser, it's one of the best values in the automotive world.

The test model was a base PT Cruiser, starting price $15,015, with a few add-ons, including air conditioning ($1,000... Read More