1999 Lanos

1999 Daewoo Lanos

1999 Daewoo Lanos

3.5

3 out of 5 stars Interior Design

Have You Driven the 1999 Daewoo Lanos?

Daewoo pretty car

by cirilogy from Sugar Land on Thu Apr 27 2017

Nice car, too bad they discontinued it. Very reliable and beautiful face. Always got compliments on it. Very roomy.

Excellent value for the money

by Ric from Alexandria, VA on Tue Mar 02 2010

I purchased new for a steal ($6800) in 2000; they were trying to get the car off the lot before the 2001s came out. I put only 100,000 miles on the Woo. Fifty days ago someone ran a red light and totaled the car. Before that, the car was extremely dependable. The only times I needed work done was when I was at fault; the car never broke down. I had nothing major replaced. This is an excellent value for an entry level car. The only drawback is when you need servicing, parts are incredibly difficult to find. At one point my car needed work (that was my fault), and the work would normally take a day. The mechanic couldn't find parts for the most part of a week. He had to order one part from Mexico and one part from the Phillipines, I believe. He had my car for two months before the parts came in, and vowed that he would never work on a Daewoo again. Also, the airbag light was on for over a year, and a mechanic cannot fix it. I needed a specialist to reset the warning light before the car would pass state inspection. Again, excellent reliability for such an entry-level vehicle. But if something goes wrong, you may be out of luck in finding parts or a mechanic willing to do the work. I was so happy with my original Daewoo Lanos investment that I just about bought a Chevrolet Aveo (the new Daewoo) as a replacement, only opting at the last minute to go up one model to the 2009 Chevrolet Cobalt.

Our Take on the 1999 Daewoo Lanos

The jury is still out on Daewoo, the new brand of economy cars from South Korea that went on sale last September. We probably won't know how good - or bad - these cars are for at least another year.

Back in 1986, nobody knew right away that Hyundai's first cars were going to fall apart after a few thousand miles. A few years ago, nobody knew that Kia cars and sport-utilities were going to be so bloody awful. After all, any car can look good when it's new. The real test is how well it holds together in the long run.

South Korean automakers don't have a reputation for producing world-class automobiles - at least initially. But I've learned that the South Koreans are a quick study and a... Read More