3.0
1 review Change Vehicle

3.0
1 review Change Vehicle

Excellent value for the money

by from Alexandria, VA on March 2, 2010

I purchased new for a steal ($6800) in 2000; they were trying to get the car off the lot before the 2001s came out. I put only 100,000 miles on the Woo. Fifty days ago someone ran a red light and totaled the car. Before that, the car was extremely dependable. The only times I needed work done was when I was at fault; the car never broke down. I had nothing major replaced. This is an excellent value for an entry level car. The only drawback is when you need servicing, parts are incredibly difficult to find. At one point my car needed work (that was my fault), and the work would normally take a day. The mechanic couldn't find parts for the most part of a week. He had to order one part from Mexico and one part from the Phillipines, I believe. He had my car for two months before the parts came in, and vowed that he would never work on a Daewoo again. Also, the airbag light was on for over a year, and a mechanic cannot fix it. I needed a specialist to reset the warning light before the car would pass state inspection. Again, excellent reliability for such an entry-level vehicle. But if something goes wrong, you may be out of luck in finding parts or a mechanic willing to do the work. I was so happy with my original Daewoo Lanos investment that I just about bought a Chevrolet Aveo (the new Daewoo) as a replacement, only opting at the last minute to go up one model to the 2009 Chevrolet Cobalt.

Our Expert Review: 1999 Daewoo Lanos