Model Details

3.9
Average based on 31 reviews

Great truck

by from Reno, nEvada on April 14, 2012

owned a 2001 slt 4x4 for 5 years. Has the 4.7 v8. Do yourself a favor and dont listen to some of these idiots that give a bad review. Best truck I have ever owned in my 50 years. Every car and truck has a few lemons.

First Truck

by from on November 2, 2011

We purchased this truck used with about 63k miles on it and so far it has been mostly trouble free. The only thing that I've had to address is the check engine light came on and I found out that it was for a power steering pressure switch. I picked up the part for less than $30 at the auto parts store and replaced the sensor myself in about 3 minutes and now the problem is solved. Not great gas mileage as others have said, but at the end of the day it is a truck. Great for hauling stuff and definitely comfortable to ride in for extended periods of time. There are some creaks and rattles that I would expect from a 10 year old truck, so I'm not concerned much about those. Overall it's a solid truck so far, so hoping that it stays that way.

dakota review

by from indianapolis, IN on October 21, 2011

great truck bad gas milage look great very comfortable handlles well. great for short trips can carry alot of load.

GREAT TRUCK!!!!

by from Glencoe, Mn. on December 29, 2011

I had a 93 Dakota that was awsome the 159,000 miles I owned it, so when we needed another truck we purchased a 2001 Dakota, it again has performed great with no problems other then a waterpump at 181,000 miles. I needed a big truck to pull big toy hauler trailer, I was going to get a Ram but a friend talked me into a Ford f350....BIG MISTAKE!!!!!it has been in the shop 5 time the first year for sensors, tranny, and a wiring issue they tell me was still causing issues when they finally took it back with 28,000 miles and sold me a Ram truck its been ok fuel pump went out at 66,000 miles but no other issues to date.

Uses car for Outdoor sports (hiking, cycling, etc.)

Love the Older Style

by from Elkhart, IN on September 18, 2010

I've owned my 2001 Dakota Quad Cab for 5 years. It has the 4.7L V8 and it has been very reliable. I really prefer the rounder style of this truck as compared to the hard corners of the newer ones.

Old Dakota style

by from Hampton, VA on September 24, 2012

This truck is crew cab,very clean interior, with a few outside nicks and unrecognizable bumps wiith few recognizable bruises. Mileage was under average for its year. Have previous owned Dakotas and prefer styling of 98-2004. No complaints about the truck, just normal wear.

Extremely Reliable

by from Libertyville, IL on March 28, 2012

My dakota is 250+ miles, I've had to do minor repairs, this truck has served me well, still running great. I'd recommend it to anyone.

Great value

by from Nebraska on March 27, 2013

Very nice truck. Love the extended cab. The one I bought has a bed liner and retractable cover. The truck had relatively low miles for a 2001 125K. Got a great deal.

Awesome truck

by from Halifax, NS on April 9, 2011

2001 Dodge Dakota ext cab 4x4 4.7L V8 5 Speed standard fully loaded currently has 136000kms Runs like a charm, quicker than I thought it would be. Great in the snow up in Nova Scotia. Gets better gas mileage than my old 1999 Dakota 4x4 3.9L V6 5 Speed. I hope to keep it for a long time

Great Car

by from St. Paul, MN on March 11, 2011

I have owned my 2001 Dodge Dakota Sport, with the 4.7 V8 now for 2 years, and it has been a great truck. Currently it has 124,025 miles, and is still driving strong. The only major thing that needed fixing, were the lower ball joints. Otherwise its been a great truck. I also use it sometime to tow our 16 1/2' fishing boat, and it does just fine. Lastly it's also a great truck if you live in an area that receives multiple inches of snow, during the winter months.