2001 Dakota

4.1 out of 5 starsValue for the Money
4.1 out of 5 starsReliability

Great truck

by foxbo from Reno, nEvada on April 14, 2012

owned a 2001 slt 4x4 for 5 years. Has the 4.7 v8. Do yourself a favor and dont listen to some of these idiots that give a bad review. Best truck I have ever owned in my 50 years. Every car and truck has a few lemons.

First Truck

by Drew from on November 2, 2011

We purchased this truck used with about 63k miles on it and so far it has been mostly trouble free. The only thing that I've had to address is the check engine light came on and I found out that it was for a power steering pressure switch. I picked up the part for less than $30 at the auto parts store and replaced the sensor myself in about 3 minutes and now the problem is solved. Not great gas mileage as others have said, but at the end of the day it is a truck. Great for hauling stuff and definitely comfortable to ride in for extended periods of time. There are some creaks and rattles that I would expect from a 10 year old truck, so I'm not concerned much about those. Overall it's a solid truck so far, so hoping that it stays that way.

great truck

by patrick from little rock, ar on November 15, 2013

I have owned my 2001 dakota sport quad cab 4.7 v8 since 2003, 32000 miles. Today it has 165000 hard miles on it. I use it to pull a 6x12 box trailer loaded up with a 750cc kawasaki side by side and other camping equipment to and from my camp in the ozerk mountains about ten times avyear plus as a car hauler a few more times a year. My wife put it into an interstate cable barier at 70 plus mph a few years ago. At that time radiator had to be replaced. At 160000 miles I finally gave it its first brake job and replaced wheel bearings. That is all other than oil changes. Great vehicle, can take a lot of abuse. Also I have a 50 pound dog that goes with me everywhere and no holes in seat yet.

Extremely Reliable

by Ren from Libertyville, IL on March 28, 2012

My dakota is 250+ miles, I've had to do minor repairs, this truck has served me well, still running great. I'd recommend it to anyone.

Awesome truck

by 01Dak4.75spd from Halifax, NS on April 9, 2011

2001 Dodge Dakota ext cab 4x4 4.7L V8 5 Speed standard fully loaded currently has 136000kms Runs like a charm, quicker than I thought it would be. Great in the snow up in Nova Scotia. Gets better gas mileage than my old 1999 Dakota 4x4 3.9L V6 5 Speed. I hope to keep it for a long time

Most Reliable Work truck I have ever owned

by G from on January 14, 2014

Bought this car Three years ago with 97K miles and now has 170K miles without ONE single mechanical issue. Starts right up on cold winter mornings (-40F) without a moments hesitation. I am a carpenter and I load this truck up with a couple thousand pounds of hardwood flooring/ tiles etc. and this thing has plenty of power for a V6. I LOVE this truck and I hope dodge makes their newer trucks as dependable as this one.

doin a dodge dakota

by darts from warrensburg mo on August 4, 2006

I purchased new in Jul 2001 and this has been a great little truck. Very dependable, other than the routine oil changes, tire rotations, etc, this truck has not seen the inside of a repair facility. Seats are comfortable for short rides, trips of 4 or more hours are rough on my back, but driving around town is no problem. If you want a truck consider the dodge dakota

very nice truck

by Franko from Cranford, nj on December 17, 2013

I recommend this truck is perfect size for everything you want to do it maybe camping construction wherever you want

Really Great Truck

by PJT from Bayport, NY on June 25, 2017

Bought new 9/01. Owned for nearly 16 years. The Entire package has ben great, including the V6 3.9. Mine is a 4X4 Sport Edition Club Cab. Rated at 1/2 ton but has carried nearly 1 ton several times and didn't even breathe hard. The V6 is adequate for 95 % of the uses I've subjected the truck to. It needs to push a tad on hilly roads like the Berkshires but under most driving has been a dream. Not a jackrabbit but not a slug. Extremely comfortable truck for two with the added extra of the club cab for interior storage when needed.

Excellent Truck

by Mike from Rochester, NY on May 28, 2014

This wasn't my first truck. I inharited this truck back in 2010 with 190k miles on it. It was well maintained. I have to say, this truck now has 230k miles on it. It still looks great for 13 years old. Best of all it is not always in the shop sucking up money. It has had some minor issues - very minor. It has not cost alot to maintain. Brakes and a senor that went bad. Everything in the truck still functions (A/C, Windows, cruise, CD and Tape,locks and so on) I have to agree with other comments. I hope Dodge (Ram), doesn't mess with a good thing. I would buy another one, as this one owes me nothing.

1 2 3 4