2002 Dakota

2002 Dodge Dakota

2002 Dodge Dakota

4.3

Have You Driven the 2002 Dodge Dakota?

Great simple truck

by Buddy from Alexandria, VA on Mon Jul 09 2007

Dakota quad cab sport V6 2 wheel drive. Great street truck and part runner, I have tracked my gas mileage (I live in a suburb of DC) and I get 15-18 miles per gallon. Not alot of icing, just a solid, good looking simple truck. Best looking truck I've ever seen, big enough for my needs, small enough to be practical though sometimes it gets tight in the city. If I had to get a new truck, it would be a Dakota Quad Cab V8 only because the V6 lacks some power with the heavy quad cab. Never had any problems mechanically, I'm at 90,000 miles.

2002 Dodge Dakota SLT

by Bencar from New Jersey on Wed Nov 02 2011

Overall I like this Truck, and it rides very well, at times making me almost forget that I'm driving a Pickup Truck, not a car. The styling of this vehicle was very well though out, giving a big Truck appearance, and pleasing lines. Everything in the Interior well placed, Radio controls, HVAC controls, Lights, etc. The 4-Dr I have can comfortably seat 5-6 adults, and we joke about how people who ride in my Truck seem not to want to get out, since they are so comfortable. The 6ft Bed works out amazingly well, holding whatever I've needed to put back there. My only complaints, are the V-6 is a bit lacking in the off-the-line acceleration department, and it would appear that undercarriage rust inhibition hasn't gotten any better than when my 1960 Plymouth was built, maybe even a bit worse. Shortly after having gotten my Dakota, I had to spend about 20 hours under it, treating numerous areas where corrosion had begin to take hold, and doing so made me wonder what was the improvement in anti-corrosion technology Chrysler, and other manufacturers boast about. At the same age (ten years old), my 1960 Plymouth had far less corrosion of any kind on the undercarriage than my 2002 Dakota had when I first got it. My hope is that no major mechanical failures occur, and I can keep my Dakota for at least another ten years.

I'm now also a Dodge fan

by R3DNECK1488 from Cottage Grove on Tue Jun 06 2017

If you like going off the beaten path then this truck will do it. For a V8 it gets as good of milage as our 2012 focus when all is running properly.

Uses car for Off-roading

Excellent Truck

by Scott Carter from Huntersville, NC on Wed Feb 14 2007

The 2WD Quad Cab Sport I have has been extremely reliable. The only gripe I have is the factory air filter box and plumbing to the intake. That is just a bad design, which I eliminated by installing a K&N kit. I am getting ready to replace the front brakes for the first time at 104,500 miles after 4 and 1/2 years. Rear brakes are still in great shape. The 4.7L V-8 has good power and decent fuel economy. The original Goodyear Eagle LS tires were horrible, being that two blew out the side walls. Thankfully both instances involved rear tires. But that isn't Dodge's issue.

Nice Comfort Luxury Of A Sedan In A Truck Form

by oopsiedood from Florida on Mon Jan 15 2018

This truck is a luxury to drive, rides nice and comfortable, like a sedan. Only thing not great on gas mileage.

1st truck bought new

by 02 dodge dakota from Pa. on Fri Aug 02 2013

We bought this truck with 40 miles on new. Still have it and just turned 130000 mile . Have had no real problems with it. Wish we would have bought the 4 doors for more room.

Great dependable vehicle

by Pattie Baughman from Battle Creek on Fri Aug 25 2017

Never thought I would buy new. It has been a great truck and has been versitale for everything I have needed it for. Pulling a horse trailer or a trailers of any kind. It has given me 15 years of service and family vehicle.

Uses car for Towing

My home depot hauler

by Dakota John from Evergreen, CO on Wed Nov 01 2017

I had this truck for 4 years with 84k on the odometer and put 26k miles on it. Bought for peanuts, $2800 and sold it $2500. I did keep it up with regular oil changes, tranny, brake, cooling, fluid changes, and new brakes. It was a 4th vehicle so it sat outside however it always started. I had the 3.9 with an automatic. Nothing breathtaking about the truck but it did exactly what I need to do, haul stuff from point A to point B. MPG was 15-16 in town, 19-20 on the road (YMMV) Thought enough of the truck to buy the new body style Dakota with some creature comforts to replace it.

Easy to work on, comfortable

by Chris from Peyton, Co on Mon Nov 27 2017

all aspects of the car were very comfortable, from the seats and suspension to the radio and the gauge cluster. I ddi a lot of work on it as I got it used, and the parts were easy to work on. The v8 that I had, the 4.7 was reliable and fun with lots of power. the manual had a heavy clutch and was geared for power low not speed, but it was quick and consistently drive waaaay to fast with it. Only problem I had was that it is meant for someone shorter than me, as I am 6'3 and had to slouch to see out the windshield, that wasn't ideal. if you are under 6'2, perfect truck, would absolutely buy one again, but would really look for the manual if possible. lots of fun and useful on ice or off road.

Dakota 4.7L V8 4dr- great!

by classicrocker from Central California on Wed Aug 06 2008

a great truck! not too small but not too big, its a better size than most other 'compact' trucks. its got some great power, as i regularly pull a close to 4,000-lb boat with it and it does great. the interior is nice, offering comforts such as a built-in door opener and a decent sound system. handles wonderfully, especially for a truck. i found the box air cleaner dissatisfying so i replaced it with a k&n set, increasing HP and fuel efficiency. sounds great with flowmasters, too! overall, a great, neat mid-sized truck that stands up to rough duty and is reliable and comfortable to drive

1 2 3