2002 Dakota

4.7 out of 5 starsExterior Styling
4.4 out of 5 starsInterior Design
4.5 out of 5 starsValue for the Money
4.8 out of 5 starsReliability

Dakota 4.7L V8 4dr- great!

by classicrocker from Central California on August 6, 2008

a great truck! not too small but not too big, its a better size than most other 'compact' trucks. its got some great power, as i regularly pull a close to 4,000-lb boat with it and it does great. the interior is nice, offering comforts such as a built-in door opener and a decent sound system. handles wonderfully, especially for a truck. i found the box air cleaner dissatisfying so i replaced it with a k&n set, increasing HP and fuel efficiency. sounds great with flowmasters, too! overall, a great, neat mid-sized truck that stands up to rough duty and is reliable and comfortable to drive

Good Truck!

by Materialman from West Monroe La on December 23, 2008

This truck is the right size. Unless you absolutely have to have a bigger truck, give it a look. Good handling and good mileage. I get 22mpg on the highway with the V6 and 5 speed. 121,000 miles and it runs as well as a new one. Good job Dodge!

2002 DODGE DAKOTA QUAD CAB SLT PLUS

by Buddy L from Independence, MO on July 12, 2016

Our 2002 Dodge Dakota was a New Car Trade at the time we bought it August 2006. 10 years later and we have logged another 100,000 miles (now 146,000+) and it''s still going strong with just regular Dealer ASE Certified Maintenance upkeep...It is a very comfortable truck to drive especially since it is a long wheel base Quad Cab. can't say anything bad about it. Our Grand-Kids-Love-Papa's Truck.

Great simple truck

by Buddy from Alexandria, VA on July 9, 2007

Dakota quad cab sport V6 2 wheel drive. Great street truck and part runner, I have tracked my gas mileage (I live in a suburb of DC) and I get 15-18 miles per gallon. Not alot of icing, just a solid, good looking simple truck. Best looking truck I've ever seen, big enough for my needs, small enough to be practical though sometimes it gets tight in the city. If I had to get a new truck, it would be a Dakota Quad Cab V8 only because the V6 lacks some power with the heavy quad cab. Never had any problems mechanically, I'm at 90,000 miles.

2002 Dodge Dakota SLT

by Bencar from New Jersey on November 2, 2011

Overall I like this Truck, and it rides very well, at times making me almost forget that I'm driving a Pickup Truck, not a car. The styling of this vehicle was very well though out, giving a big Truck appearance, and pleasing lines. Everything in the Interior well placed, Radio controls, HVAC controls, Lights, etc. The 4-Dr I have can comfortably seat 5-6 adults, and we joke about how people who ride in my Truck seem not to want to get out, since they are so comfortable. The 6ft Bed works out amazingly well, holding whatever I've needed to put back there. My only complaints, are the V-6 is a bit lacking in the off-the-line acceleration department, and it would appear that undercarriage rust inhibition hasn't gotten any better than when my 1960 Plymouth was built, maybe even a bit worse. Shortly after having gotten my Dakota, I had to spend about 20 hours under it, treating numerous areas where corrosion had begin to take hold, and doing so made me wonder what was the improvement in anti-corrosion technology Chrysler, and other manufacturers boast about. At the same age (ten years old), my 1960 Plymouth had far less corrosion of any kind on the undercarriage than my 2002 Dakota had when I first got it. My hope is that no major mechanical failures occur, and I can keep my Dakota for at least another ten years.

I'm now also a Dodge fan

by R3DNECK1488 from Cottage Grove on June 6, 2017

If you like going off the beaten path then this truck will do it. For a V8 it gets as good of milage as our 2012 focus when all is running properly.

Uses car for Off-roading

Excellent Truck

by Scott Carter from Huntersville, NC on February 14, 2007

The 2WD Quad Cab Sport I have has been extremely reliable. The only gripe I have is the factory air filter box and plumbing to the intake. That is just a bad design, which I eliminated by installing a K&N kit. I am getting ready to replace the front brakes for the first time at 104,500 miles after 4 and 1/2 years. Rear brakes are still in great shape. The 4.7L V-8 has good power and decent fuel economy. The original Goodyear Eagle LS tires were horrible, being that two blew out the side walls. Thankfully both instances involved rear tires. But that isn't Dodge's issue.

Reliable and Well-maintained

by David Roegiers from Chicago, IL on December 29, 2017

This truck has been extremely reliable and never given me any major headaches. It's turbo-charged and has great pickup for a pickup. It's not too big so it's easy to park in the city and handy for hauling stuff of course. Beware letting your friends know you have it or you will constantly be doing moving favors for them.

1st truck bought new

by 02 dodge dakota from Pa. on August 2, 2013

We bought this truck with 40 miles on new. Still have it and just turned 130000 mile . Have had no real problems with it. Wish we would have bought the 4 doors for more room.

Great dependable vehicle

by Pattie Baughman from Battle Creek on August 25, 2017

Never thought I would buy new. It has been a great truck and has been versitale for everything I have needed it for. Pulling a horse trailer or a trailers of any kind. It has given me 15 years of service and family vehicle.

Uses car for Towing