Model Details

4.4
Average based on 25 reviews

Not very well made

by from Springdale, AR on November 8, 2010

I bought a 2004 Dakota SXT 4X4 and just traded it in after 84,500 miles. I was very disappointed with the engineering on this truck. I had to replace a power steering motor, a seat frame(really!!), water pump, had to have it tuned up, and when I traded it, it needed brakes, a head gasket, and transmission work. All this and I never towed anything and mainly drove it to work! Ran good, got terrible mileage(13.5mpg), rode rough. Very good 4WD. Traded it on a Honda Ridgeline.

Dodge Quad Cab SXT V8

by from Modesto, California on April 17, 2010

This truck has been an awesome, reliable vehicle! She is a real workhorse and does any task, whether towing, going to the mountains or grocery getting, with peace of mind! Exterior styling is wonderful and the V8 engine is powerful. I admit that the interior styling is rather bland and outdated but extremely durable and fuctional. This truck is going to stay with me a very long time. Bought it in 2008 with only 23,000 miles and now have a perfectly reliable 65,000.

04 Dodge Dakota

by from Maine on October 22, 2011

Great little truck with lots of pulling capacity Parts are way to expensive cost $150 for a ball joint

Uses car for Towing

fun truck to drive

by from pulaski,tn on September 28, 2009

bought truck with 56000 miles now have 87000 and still no problems or complaints 4.7 v8 is fun to drive put dual exhaust on it sounds really good.other small trucks wish it could be it no chance.

2004 Dodge Dakota

by from Staten Island NY on February 5, 2010

Just got the truck used 95000 Dec 2009 just reg maintenance install tow bar truck run and drives fine very good value for the money. Over all the truck runs fine.

Miss My Dakota

by from on July 8, 2013

These trucks are great. Had one with the 4.7 V8 with a k&n intake and flowmaster 40 exhaust. It had excellent power. This truck did everything I wanted it to do, and it does the job of a 1500 series truck. This truck laughs at snow, mud, sand ect. The interior is pretty roomy for a smaller truck. The interior itself is a little boring, but I didn't really care. I wish I never traded it in, but I'm looking to buy another one soon!

Uses car for Off-roading

Great truck!

by from Greater Chicago area on July 28, 2015

This is my 4th Dakota and I've owned this one for the longest - over 11 years - and driven it the furthest - 234,000 miles (yes, 234,000 miles). I bought it new and I love this truck! The truck is 2X4 with a 3.7 V6. I added a K&N air filter, a Lear cap and a rear stabilizer bar. Mileage has consistently been 17 mpg in-town, 21 mpg on the highway (and I consistently drive 75 to 80 mph). Occasionally I pull a 5x10 utility trailer. * _All_ service has been done at the same independent shop * Oil changed religiously every 5000 miles with Mobil 1 - expensive but it's hard to argue with 234,000 miles and still going strong. * Transmission rebuilt at 108,000 miles * Power steering pump replaced around 150,000 * Water pump replaced around 180,000 miles * Front suspension rebuilt @ 200,000 * New radiator and condenser @ 215,000 * New right exhaust manifold @ 225,000 * New front hub assemblies (both) at 230,000

Excellent truck!

by from Spring hill, FL on May 17, 2016

I have the the quad cab 4x2 3.7l SXT. This is the first dodge vehcile i have ever owned (normally Ford). I have to say that I honestly LOVE this truck. It was purchased almost 2 years ago with roughly 115k just about 125k on it now. I have not done a single thing to this truck other than oil changes and some new wheels. Truck starts up without hesitation first try every time. My one and only complaint about this pickup is the quality of the paint which i noticed is pretty common with the 04 dodges (neon,ram,stratus etc..) Excellent handling excellent acceleration, can tow what i need.. Large roomy cabin for a midsize pickup can comfortably put my daughters full size rear facing car seat in back seat with still plenty of leg room for front passenger. Its built tough and you feel safe driving it which is one of the biggest reasons i purchased it.. I was unfortunately rear-ended about 6 months ago by a Ford Ranger quad cab while i was at a dead stop and he hit me doing roughly 40; the ranger needless to say was immediately totaled and my dakota literally ate the hit.. The only damage I have is on the rear bumper which isnt even horrible its just dented. Very confident in saying for the dads out there that still want a pickup invest in a Dakota. Owned a ford focus before this and sold it for my dakota because i didnt feel comfortable putting my daughter in the backseat of the focus. I will drive this truck until it will no longer move. Extremely pleased with dodges quality and will most certainly be a continuing dodge costumer in the future(perhaps quad cab RAM)

surprise in a smaller package

by from Wethersfield,Ct on December 5, 2012

First time driving this little truck you feel the power of the 6 cyl motor. the handling is quick and responsive. the truck is very quiet no road noise or rattles. The windshield gives a full view of the road ahead. This is one of the nicest trucks that I've had owned. I would buy this truck again and again.

Uses car for Towing

the little big truck

by from miss on November 26, 2007

I have the 4.7 liter motor and 5 speed auto I really like the power and the towing prowess of the truck gas mileage combined driving has been 17 mpg overall I have been pleased with the little big truck..