2012 Edge

4.4 out of 5 starsReliability

All Reviews

First American Car in 20 Years

by Always Love Cars from Western mountains on February 1, 2012

Bought a 2012 Ford Edge around Thanksgiving 2011. Currently have about 2 k on it. Live in a mountainous area and, after 10 years, bought an AWD just to help me get up the big hills by the house. I have been driving Hondas and Toyotas as well as a VW Jetta TDI the last many years but took a chance on the Ford this time around. (Kept the Jetta.) I have the AWD SEL 285 with leather trimmed seats, MyFordTouch, sync and all the fun and cool tech a girl could ever want. The Edge is super comfy with plenty of space to haul kids in car seats, and/or 2 medium sized dogs or some big guys with hockey equipment. It's got a very quiet cabin and has plenty of horsepower to get you wherever you need to go. Love the tech. Stream Pandora from my smart phone or listen to iTunes. Sync works really well. Also have no problem with MyFordTouch. It's very intuitive. Takes a minute to warm up, though. It's a little like booting a PC so if you need immediate rewards, you are not gonna get it here. Need to wait maybe 20 seconds before the sync lady will talk to you or you get response from the touch screen. Since I don't mind waiting a few secs, I really like the tech and also the way that there are maybe three ways to do the same thing. I think the tech is great. My gas mileage has been about 20 in town. I think that's actually pretty good but look forward to a CUV AWD that gets great mileage in the future. With all of that said, I realized today that the rear side window doesn't come down. The weather was warm enough for me to roll down the windows - a first since I got the Edge. I couldn't find that it had an automatic lock on it so think it is mechanical. Also, one of the speakers buzzes like crazy if I turn up the radio at all. Both of those things need to be fixed. After 20 years of driving Japanese and German, having to fix something on a brand new car is a first for me. Unfortunately, the reason I went to Japanese years ago is because of reliability problems with my American cars. I think my Edge has many wonderful things about it and is ahead of the game in some ways with the tech. But maybe some of the intrinsic problems with reliability remain. I wanted the Edge but I'm worried that the window and speaker might be red flags on reliability. I hope not since I want to believe I made a wise choice. Good luck in your choice of a new car!

Never again

by JCS from Louisville KY on July 16, 2013

This vehicle has been nothing but problems. Owned since May 31, 2012. I have had the vehicle in the shop 7 times for repair issues. The car started with issues of dying when slowing down. Extremely dangerous. Finally the dealer replaced harness and adjusted the idle speed higher which leads to burning more fuel. Now the brake booster has failed and I have to pay to replace and owned the 13 months.

Does not recommend this car!!

Probably the finest vehicle I've ever owned.

by High Standards from Columbus, Oh. on April 14, 2014

I had never rode in or driven an Edge prior to purchasing one. What a wise choice. This is probably the nicest and most sound vehicle I've ever owned. It is quiet on the road yet handles with the soundness of a sports car. The best of both worlds also comes with a well appointed interior and smooth exterior styling. I think Ford hit the "jack pot" on this one. A very, very nice vehicle.

Not reliable

by Janet from Texarkana, AR on January 17, 2017

I have had my Ford Edge for 6 years. In that time, I have had so much trouble, starting with the My Ford Touch which finally had to be replaced (thankfully it was still under warranty). Since then, I have had difficulty with it starting (unless the fob was under the console), passenger-side window wouldn't go down, memory has gone out for the passenger seat, and TWICE now, the shifter has had to be replaced. I want to get rid of it, but it is paid for. I did buy an extended warranty a few months ago, because now it is in the shop again, needing the shifter replaced. Will never again have a Ford.

Does not recommend this car!!

Comfortable and Quiet

by Technology Enthusiast from Conyers, Ga on December 26, 2011

We've only had the 2012 Ford Edge Limited for about 2500 miles, but it has been great so far. The ride is comfortable and quiet, it feels very solid for my family, and the technology inside the car is the best I've seen. I am so impressed with Ford that I am considering buying also the 2012 Ford Flex for our family to drive. Note...very comfortable seats!!

All Ford family now

by Mom from WV on March 19, 2012

Traded in Kia and love our new Edge. Rides and handles great. Still haven't learned all features yet but we are working on it. Great car.

Ecstatic so far!

by New Edge Owner from Missouri on October 7, 2014

[This review coming off of a poor experience with a Chevy Equinox] What can I say? This is exactly what I expected in a midsize SUV. Great handling, punchy accelerator and some cool options to top it off! My wife and I purchased our Edge as a Certified Pre-Owned vehicle about one month ago. We were able to get some pretty cool options that we would not normally pick, including leather interior and a vista moon roof. The Edge comfortably seats our family of four, and allow ample hauling space in the back. The seats will fold flat, providing some additional space to move things if necessary. The rear seats also recline, a huge plus for us as we like to travel, and sometimes we are driving later at night. This allows our 6 year old to sleep more comfortably. Up front, seats are situated well. The console is a bit different, but there is a place to hide my phone to charge, or while using SYNC. The dash cluster is a bit awkward, but is ok. There is a ton of digital on it, but is lacking a speedometer, other than the traditional dial. Speaking of the SYNC, ours works for calling, texting and we could get a vehicle history report, but we cannot get it to work with our phones to do directions. Not a huge issue, but it would be nice. Handling is very good. I've taken a few hard corners on the highway, and I always feel in control. There is no extra play, and I feel like the vehicle turns exactly how I would expect a vehicle to move. We have the turbo-charged I-4, and I love it! On only highway this weekend, we got over 29 MPG. Mixed city/highway I get anywhere from 22-25. Not the greatest, but much better than some. The engine has a great feel, and the accelerator can put me in my seat.

Absolutly LOVE it!

by Chdetrick from Atascadero, CA on January 14, 2014

My wife wanted a small to medium SUV. We looked at many types and brands and settled on the Ford Edge. I started my search and cars.com gave me the most information and opportunities. I narrowed it down and found the perfect one that fit our budget and had everything we wanted. cars.com helped me find the perfect SUV for my wife. It was the best Christmas gift she has received in a few years.

Love it Love it

by wichie from Salt Lake City, Ut on October 15, 2012

I have never enjoyed a car like I do my Edge. I have had and driven many makes and models and the Ford Edge has got done them all. The features and elegance of my Edge Limited has been a wonderful experience. I took it on my 1st road trip and it was such a wonderful trip. I had more compliments and second looks on the road and in parking lots that I felt like a million bucks. So yes again I LOVE IT - I LOVE IT

Living on the Edge

by Edge Fan from N. California on August 15, 2012

I've had my Edge for a little over a month. I bought it primarily for travel for work and personal use. It replaces my 2000 Oldsmobile. I'm still trying to figure out all of the features and functions of the My Sync but so far it hasn't let me down. I especially love the handsfree GPS functions. As a sales person that drives from Sacramento to Fresno and Santa Cruz to San Francisco, it's nice to know where I'm going and how to get there, especially when I miss a turn in San Francisco! It's big enough to hold everthing I need yet small enough to fit in most parking spots without being too close to other cars. I thoroughly enjoy driving it!

1 2 3 4 5 6