2004 Escape

4.5 out of 5 starsReliability

All Reviews

Fun car to drive

by Retired Guy from Gig Harbor, WA on October 6, 2009

The 6 cylinder is peppy but not great on mileage 18 city 24 country. It handles beautifully and the visibility for the driver is the best of any car I have owned. Short wheelbase allows great maneuverability in the city and parking lots. It drives like a sports car. You sit higher than the average and can see over sedans when in traffic. Lots of storage space with the back seats down.

Fun Small Suv

by Good Mileage Lover from Atlanta, GA on July 19, 2010

I'v really enjoyed my Escape the past few years! I've had no problems with it and it has always offered great gas mileage. It's one the best small SUV's available, with plenty of room to carry all of my stuff. Very satisfied with my purchase of this car.

Perfect little pepper

by DRE from Columbus, Ohio on March 24, 2011

Bought this car new in 2004 and have been thrilled with it from day one. I have the 6 cyl which is not the best on gas, but it gives you that pep that I want when I'm driving on the highways. I've been thinking about a new car for a while now, but it always comes back to I can't bring myself to get rid of the Escape.

GREAT CAR FOR YOUR MONEY!!!!

by steff from Scranton,PA on November 12, 2010

i've owned this car now for four years! NO PROBLEMS!!!! Great on GAS MILEAGE! I used to drive this car 50 miles to school and back 100 miles a day for a week i'd only have to fill the tank twice a week and it's GREAT IN THE SNOW!!!! I LOVE THIS CAR!!!

Great value, nice ride

by UsaEcu from Chicago, IL on January 29, 2007

I have had my Escape for a little over 6 months and have had a great time driving it. I think it?s a great car, especially for the price. The only down side I can find on my Escape is the manual version is a little harder to drive than a standard SUV and the seats could use more adjustment options. Overall, I would highly recommend it to anyone looking for a reliable car that has plenty of interior room and great on gas.

Best vehicle I've ever owned

by Sweet Escape from Wahpeton, ND on April 15, 2007

This is my big purchase vehicle and it has a great bang for the buck. I love all the features, except I wish the back seats would fold flat without having to take out the head rests. It's great for hauling and without the 4 wheel drive it still drives great in the snow.

rackmaster

by rackmaster from Hatboro, PA on October 29, 2013

The locking differential on the 2004 model was exactly what I needed to go through deep loose sand last weekend. I saw AWD versions of vehicles and those with less than 7 1/2" ground clearance dug in and stuck so badly they had to be shoveled and pulled out. This is why I had to have a 2004 with the ability to lock the 4WD. Later models only have a viscous coupling that will send 25% power to the rear wheels not a true 50/50 sharing of 4WD power and it has to heat up and start slipping first before it engages. The locking 4WD is better because it does not slip at all and keeps going even through the deepest loose sand. The only Escape new that may be able to handle deep beach sand driving is the new 2013 which is fully electronic. The only drawback to that is it has reduced ground clearance and may drag more than the 2004. I did not have the money to spend on a new one so this 2004 with only 54k miles was the right choice for me. I am completely satisfied as I drove through deep sand where others got stuck. I also got 22 mpg on the highway with the 4 speed overdrive automatic transmission. I have plenty of on and off road trips planned for this fall. I can't wait.

Uses car for Off-roading

04 Ford escape XLT 4WD 3.0 Ltr

by Blackhawk Inc. from Lexington KY on November 28, 2011

Its a gutsy little SUV with plenty of power and pick up. I was surprised and how quickly it accelerates . I am 6'4" and it fits me just fine. Gas milieage is around 16 mpg in town

9 Years And Still Happy

by Mr. Aloha from Honolulu on October 17, 2012

Bought new in Nov03. New transmission installed in 2010 after 60,000 miles. Other than that, I haven't had any major issues with it. I tie my surfboards to the top and it's off to the beach!!! It's convenient for transporting my three dogs if I lower the back seats. I couldn't be happier with my Escape XLT.

Adventuremobile and so much more

by Tmig41 from Bridgewater on May 11, 2017

When I purchased this vehicle I had it was capable of so much. For the first three years I owned it I used it as a daily with a few long distance trips thrown in per year. For the last three months I've been living out of it while road tripping around the West. It adequately fit me and a second person to sleep in while fully loaded with climbing, skiing, and camping equipment along with 3 months of food and clothes and everything else I could possibly need. Although it was not the 4WD model I drove it through the snow and mountains in Colorado and some of the most heinous dirt roads I ever seen throughout Utah and California and it handled them with ease. It did all of this while averaging 24 mpg on mostly highway driving, 4mpg better than it's rated for. I've never had any reliability issues or major repairs in all the time I've owned my Escape. I love this car!

1 2 3