1999 Explorer

4.4 out of 5 starsValue for the Money
4.3 out of 5 starsReliability

Escellent SUV

by Homer from Buffalo Ny on January 6, 2013

I bought this used 8 years ago with 90,000 miles on it. It is still going strong with almost 185,000 miles. Nothing major has gone wrong with it. I had to replace the idler pulley and the tensioner pulley when they started whining but they were very easy to replace. Other than that it has been nothing but brakes and tires for as long as I have owned it. As with any car I follow the owners manual recommendations for preventative maintenance. I am positive I will get at least another 50,000 miles out of it.

Best tower

by Camper from Wisconsin on September 19, 2011

Bought this used 5 years ago with 90k on it to tow my pop up camper. V8 pulls it like it's hardly there. It now has almost 150k on it and still going strong. You can hardly hear it running. Heated leather seats are nice to have in the winter. Nothing but minor mechanical repairs needed which I would consider normal. Hasn't failed me yet.

I'm going to miss this car

by Rachel from Olathe, KS on January 31, 2014

My parents bout our '99 explorer from a friend twelve years ago. As of yesterday it bit the bullet, the transmission is slipping and it had been overheating. This car had 245,000 miles on it. If I was willing to put the $2,300 into it to fix the problem, im sure I would get another good year or two out of it. In its old age it began to need more and more costly repairs. But for a 15 year old vehicle, i could not be more proud of how long it lasted. I learned to drive in that old truck! I am so sorry to see it go. It really was a tough, dependable old car.

Great Vehicle!!!

by pquint160 from Aston, PA on September 9, 2015

I bought my '99 XLT in '01 and refuse to get rid of it. The beast still runs like a tank. While it was my every day driver, I never had a problem At 155,000+ miles, the trans got rebuild and the gunk cleaned out of the covers. Still runs strong and until it sets itself on fire, it stays with me!

Awesome Rig

by CJewell from Seattle, WA on September 5, 2006

I purchased a 99 Explorer XLT in April of 2006, and the only complaint I have is the back seats bracket rattles when you go a certain speed due to road vibrations at that speed, and in Seattle it seems to be 55-70. The rear fold down seats are one of the best features that I have seen in any comparable SUV in the year range and size range of this 99 Explorer. All in all the 215 HP 5.0L V8 just screams when going down the freeway and just wants to take off when only going 35 on city streets. Another beautiful thing is that the leather is in almost pristine condition which to me says that they used good leather for the interior (the previous owner was a business, so i know the interior took a bit of a beating) Overall I give this car an A+

Best truck I've Owned

by happy trucker 99 from Floral Park, NY on February 17, 2014

I bought my Explorer with 50,000 miles on it. Besides regular maintenance, a new alternator , shocks and struts, and rear springs, it has been a fantastic truck. I now have 105,000 miles on it, and hope to keep it for another two years!! I would recommend this truck!!

Best vehicle I've ever owned

by Ken from Wisconsin on June 12, 2015

I absolutely love this vehicle! I previously had a 1999 Explorer, but then my wife totaled it after a snow storm. I tried other vehicles, even bought an Escape, but I kept comparing it to my 99 Explorer. I returned the Escape to the dealer and found another 99 Explorer, even the same color. I cherish my baby! It rides so good, has all the amenities I could ever ask for, and looks so good. It has 176,000 miles on it now and I plan to keep it indefinitely. I wanted the 5.0 engine with AWD, which I got. It had a couple problems, such as door locks and radio display, but I fixed those and now it is perfect. The only downside is 19 mpg, but that is to be expected for the engine and size of vehicle. This is a second generation Explorer, which has a full frame, a good V8 engine and a good transmission. I highly recommend this vehicle.

great purchase

by pomo from SantabRosa,CA on November 11, 2013

Vehicle is what I was looking for the price range found it in one evening on cars.com went to seller next day purchase seller very helpful easy transaction.

One of best ever made

by explorer enthusiast from Houston on August 30, 2010

This is my 2nd explorer and I wish the newer ones were as good, I hate to make a change and have put it off waiting for them to produce a truck equal to this one. It has everything and the newer models don't. I replaced the entire front end (tie rods, ball joints, etc) at 125K but I have abused this truck for years with heavy loads and rough roads. However I've changed the oil regurlarly as well as anti freeze and flushing raidiator. My wife has complained about the ride in the backseat but I've never ridden there so I can't say. However i've replaced the shocks a couple times to help the ride and they needed it everytime I had it done. You can't find a full size concole like this one and I love the lighting on the running boards.

Great SUV

by Matt from Charlottetown, PEI on May 18, 2007

My wife and I have a the 99 XLT 4x4 Model and we have been driving it for a year now, no major problems just the normal rotor/pad/shocks replacement. I have no complains on this SUV at all, very smooth on and off the road, lots of power and great in the winter. Everything works fine and has not failed.

1 2 3 4